PDA

View Full Version : Help megettig rid of OS choise at startup

hatemi
10-10-2003, 04:17 PM
I tried to install XP on a different disk while I was in windows and now everytime I start my comp I`ll have to chose between the setup or the working installation. It is realy bugging me and would like to fix it. Any ideas how? Allredy tried fixboot in recoveryconsole but it didnt help...

Smizack
10-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Edit your Boot.ini file. Just delete the one you don't want. It will look something like this with a second multi.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE

You should see 2 sections under operating systems.

hatemi
10-11-2003, 03:08 AM
I tried to find that Boot.ini with search and it found some notepad file. at the end of the file there was:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW
S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I edited that to look like what you showed but it didn`t help and I still get the same choose thingy at startup. Where did I do wrong?

Smizack
10-12-2003, 12:27 AM
Ok, mabey I missunderstood. What exactly is going on?

EQuito
10-12-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by hatemi
I tried to install XP on a different disk while I was in windows and now everytime I start my comp I`ll have to chose between the setup or the working installation.The key word here is "tried". You get the two choices because you didn't complete the new install.
Start setup again and the first chance you get press 'F3' to exit, that should void the install and erase the boot menu.

Good luck!

Smizack
10-12-2003, 09:00 AM
In msconfig at the boot.ini tab. What do you have there?

[XC]thewildblue
10-13-2003, 02:07 AM
Remember to change the file attributes before changing, I think that, that file is read only and hidden. Remove read only and then change the entries.
It should look something like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

hatemi
10-13-2003, 05:53 AM
It says:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

Now I`ll try to find that file and edit the setup part out of it. Hope it helps;)

DaGooch
10-13-2003, 06:01 AM
Go go startup and recovery, select the OS of your choice and change the display setting to 0. There is also manual editing via the edit button.

hatemi
10-13-2003, 06:07 AM
Thanks everyone;)
All I had to do was go to msconfig BOOT.INI and click on the "Check all boot paths" it then said that the setup path was invalid and asked to remove it. Then I clicked yes and it booted normaly:D Thaks alot, now I didnt have to setup windows again;)