PDA

View Full Version : Help with Possible WC Setup PLEASE.

xguntherc
10-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Hey everyone. I've recently been trying to decide on a better cooling for my new Q9650. I'm not happy with my temps. and the loads are terrible with my Tuniq. I was going to get a TRUE. but now I might want WC..
Here's a list I've made of things I might get for a WC setup. I'm open to changing anything on there from the RAD to a PA120.2, or anything.

Here it is:
Swiftech Apogee GT ($39.99) (Maybe GTZ)
Danger Den Black Ice GT Stealth 240 (Dual 120mm's) ($48.95
or the Swiftech MCR220 QP cuz comes with Res ($59.99) ($35 without Res)
Danger Den DD-CPX1 Pump a.k.a. DTEK DB-1 ($44.95) ???
Danger Den Fillport w/ T-Line ($11.99 + 1.99) ????
10' Generic Vinyl Tubing 1/2" ID ($6.90) (Or should I use another size)
Danger Den Hose Clamps ($7.99)
Swiftech Hydrx Coolant + 1 Gallon Distilled Water ($2.99 + $0.99)(Or whatever)
Two 120mm x 20mm SlimFan Yate Loon D12SM-12C 62CFM @ 28 dBA. (Already own and are in top of my CM 690 Case. Or I could get something better. but these are thin so I can keep my top on my CM690.

TOTAL: $164.00

This is not the best water cooling system in the world. but it would do the job. I have a Q9650 that needs some WC. Would this be enough for a 45nm Chip.

I'd love for you guys that are experts to give me some idea's, advice, and your suggestions are very much welcome.

Thanks in Advanced!!!!

.Logic
10-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Looks to be a fairly decent setup... I would however change the radiator for a MCR320 ($50 from PTS) and instead of the inbuilt res just use a t-line.

xguntherc
10-21-2008, 01:24 AM
I listed a tline in case I didn't get the MCR220... I don't want the 320 as I can't fit the 3 120mm fan big of a RAD on top without covering my USB, SATA, FW, I/O ports on top of case. thats why I was looking at the 220.. make sense. Maybe a Danger Den black Ice GTX Extreme. or even the PA120.2 but thats adding another 50 to my price.

.Logic
10-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Ah, that's a pain about the I/O ports...

The MCR220 will definately be sufficient it just won't give oy umuch headroom in case you want to upgrade later.

septim
10-21-2008, 04:37 AM
the plain mcr220 without res is a very good choice...

you can't use mcr220res while its horizontal mounted...

you may use mcr320 outside of case mount via rad box...

apogee gtz good block, good mounting mechanism, will be perfect mount each time...

xguntherc
10-21-2008, 11:54 AM
oops.. double post my bad.

xguntherc
10-21-2008, 11:57 AM
So that lists looks pretty good then to everyone.

Sweet. now to start finding it, or buying used. or trading my extra G11's and MX-518 Logitech stuff.. haha.

So do I need the Apogee GTZ.. or is the GT ok.. should I just spend the extra for the GTZ
ok then. I'll get the MCR220 without the Res. and then get a fillport.. right? or would I still need a Res. and is the MCR220 better than a DD Black Ice GT, or GTX stealth 240.?

If anyone has any of the listed parts for sale, or used that are extra please let me know. or have any suggestions for finding them. I'd appreciate it.

thanks!

edit* what about a Thermaltake BIG water kit.. or is my custom list better?
and what about this.. it's a good start. or should i get the MCR220
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stealth-GTS-240-Dual-120mm-water-cooling-radiator-H2O_W0QQitemZ270288042242QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 70288042242&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A13 18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

JMCorp
10-21-2008, 01:08 PM
So do I need the Apogee GTZ.. or is the GT ok.. should I just spend the extra for the GTZ

when martin tested the GT it came in only a couple degrees behind the GTZ. if you're not OCing the heck out of your machine and money is a concern go with the GT

ok then. I'll get the MCR220 without the Res. and then get a fillport.. right? or would I still need a Res. and is the MCR220 better than a DD Black Ice GT, or GTX stealth 240.?

i prefer a res. DD has a big double 5.25 bay res i have and really like. i hear people fawning all over the swiftec micro res too. i dont have it though so i cant comment.

edit* what about a Thermaltake BIG water kit.. or is my custom list better?
and what about this..[/url]

thermaltake is cheap, but they dont make very good watercooling kits IMO. however that being said, their stuff does work, if poorly. i wasted a good deal of money on thermaltake garbage before i found XS. i've been lurking round here for a year just reading and i'm an educated fellow now. if you want to be able to re-use your wc gear later dont buy TT.

xguntherc
10-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Ya.. I'll be getting this custom plan I listed in the OP..

and ya I think I'll get the GTZ then.. a couple degree's is a couple degree's. every bit helps with final Oc's.. and thats what I want.

Also ya I'll look into the double bay.. that means it takes up 2 huh.. thats a huge Res.. why so much. when everyone elses are tiny.. and the swiftech micro sounds pretty good.
Where can I find some of this stuff used?

thanks for info. No TT for me then!

xguntherc
10-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Hey everyone.. I have a question for you guys.
I have the "opportunity" to get the Swiftech Apogee GTZ for $50 total.. thats including shipping. So Just $50 total.. New in Box. this is a great deal. as it's usually $69.99 everywhere I look.
and also from the same guy a Swiftech MCP-655-B Pump for $55 total.. and it's been lightly used but not for very long. they are like $80 or so right?

These are 2 pretty good parts at a good price right? Should I get these. then all I'd need is a RAD. and after that the rest is small cheap parts I could gather right?
I think I should get these. and save for a few days and get the best RAD I can get. and then get the little parts. this way I'd stay under $200 and I'd have some good parts.
What does everyone think?

Also would that MCP655-B pump and a MCP-220, or a black Ice GTX 260 RAD's be enough for more than just my CPU. or should I get a 360 RAD if I intend to later on cool my GPU also.
for now I'm only wanting to cool the CPU. but in case I do want to add to it later. would the 220 and the 665-B be enough to add a line to the GPU??

I need to order this from this guy ASAP so any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

also to add to that I can get the Danger Den Single Drive Day Clear Res for $15 total. usually they are $29.99 Is this a good deal also.??

Utnorris
10-21-2008, 11:55 PM
It's a good deal. As far as the rad goes, a 320 would be better suited for a cpu and single gpu. However, you could do the cpu for now with the 220 and then either upgrade the rad later or just add another loop for the gpu, which would be better anyway.

xguntherc
10-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Cool Cool. thanks for the fast response Utnorris.

So should I get all 3 that I listed above. or should I go for just the pump and the GTZ.. I'm thinkin of asking him to give me all 3 for $110 and see what he says. cuz then what all do I need. just some tubes, clamps. some coolant and the RAD.. then I'd be done.

Also if I get a Res. do I still need a fillport. or does the fillport go into the Res..
whats better a Res, or a T-Line. I was thinkin of doing the T-line instead and running it to the top back of my case and drilling a tiny hole so I can fit fill it from right there. or is that not how it works? I'm still a Noob with WC for now.

Last question. How much Maintenance and upkeep does water need?

JMCorp
10-22-2008, 05:24 AM
if you get a res, you do not need a fillport. you fill the res directly. imo a res is better because it makes bleeding easier. a T line is a PITA to bleed from what i hear.

on your question why i like the big res, it's because of how big it is :D, it seems to me the loop bleeds more quickly with this big res. and i like how it looks when the water is sloshing through the res, as i intentionally keep the water only 3/4 of the way up the res, makes some nice waterworks.

i cool an x2 5600+ and a severely OC'd 8800gt off my swiftec 3 fan rad. at full load on both i can not tell the difference in air temp between intake and exhaust, and my temps are good. i have not used the spreadsheet to check but i'd imagine your system would do just fine on a 2 fan rad. if you start OCing though you might want to go with a 3 fan.

xguntherc
10-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Yea.. thats what i've heard. I think I'll just get the Res.. it's a single bay. that should be fine.

Also ya you said if I start OCing I might need a 3 fan.. I already have my Q9650 at 4.0 Ghz. but on air i idle around 35-37c but loads what I don't like. Load is 61 and high 50's.
usually watercooling helps those load temps a lot right.. Plus this 45nm chip's are decently cool chips. So thats why I think only the 2 fan RAD would be enough. If anyone disagree's please say so. As I've been offered a MCR320 from someome but I need a smaller one. but maybe I should snag that. but it wont fit in my case like the 220 will.

Also I'm currently only going to be cooling my CPU with it. but I have a feeling after i see good results. I'll wanna do it with my GPU also.. Meh, I don't know. hah

FrostyPanda
10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
get the GTZ and upgrade yourself to a ddc pump. The 120.20 will be fine but get youself some big fans and put 'em on controllers. Thay way you'll have some room to work with in the future

xguntherc
10-23-2008, 01:23 PM
that 665 pump is not good. I've heard it's very decent. you think a DB-1 would be a better choice. Remember for now this is only cooling the CPU.

Also will the 665 be enough to pump a second loop to GPU if I upgrade that also?

and I have another question. I have the Tuniq right now. It's not doing the job the way I'd like. I'm thinking of going watercooling.
but I know it's risky. and a lot of work and a lot ot trial and error. Is it worth it.?

Right now I have the chance to get a TRUE lapped, for FREEEEEEE (Don't Ask How). but my question is should I just snag that true as it will be better than my tuniq with 2 120mmx38mm fans on it. or should I get these good deals and go for wateR? and if I go water.. along with those parts listed above. I have the chance to get a PA120.3 used for $100 shipped.. Yes or no?

Utnorris
10-23-2008, 01:53 PM
He means a MCP355 or MCP350. The DB-1 is not very good. If you can get all 3 parts for $110, get them. The 655 and the MCP355 are virtually the same except for the size, but you will spend $65 on a MCP355 which is more than half of what you are looking at. Also, check out overclock.net and Hardforum's "For Sale" threads, you should be able to find quite a bit there at some good prices. As far a res vs. a T-line, I don't like T-line's, although some swear by it. For $15 you can get a Swiftech Micro Res from Jab-tech.com. This should be a decent setup for what you are doing.

Utnorris
10-23-2008, 01:55 PM
One more thing, the TC at $100 is a great deal, but if money is tight, save it and get a MCR320 from Swiftech. The run $50 new from Petra's and Newegg and will be with a couple of degrees in performance.

xguntherc
10-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Well I thought the 665 was better than the 355. but what do I know. and yes he will send all 3 the Apogee GTZ, the MCP-665 pump, and the DD single bay res all for $110. or you saying the swifty micro is a better res?

and ya the TC 120.3 is to much, even the .2 is.. when I can get the swifty 220 or 320 for around $50 or so anywhere.

Now my only problem is why spend around $200 on water-cooling when I'm getting a TRUE and a Panaflo 120mm x 38mm 104CFM fan.. both for FREE.. that will cool better than my Tuniq.
or is water just THAT much better?

gillbot
10-23-2008, 02:45 PM
If you want to extend your budget, look for an Apogee GT, MCR220 and pump in the classifieds. I got my Apogee GT for $25 shipped, the MCR220 with fans for under $40 shipped and my 655 pump for $45.

hellcamino
10-23-2008, 03:47 PM
For $100 I would definitely get the PA120.3, you might think all radiators near equal but they most certainly are not! With a PA120.3 you can easily cool a quad core cpu, nb and one or two graphics cards as well and yes a single MCP655 pump will handle that load easily. Water cooling truly is that much better than air too but only if you use good parts, an MCR220 will only leave you disappointed.

AndrewZorn
10-23-2008, 04:21 PM
A PA120.3 for a budget setup!? Please...

I agree with most of the stuff here, but I'm confused on the deal you're getting, so I'm just going to do a normal replacement suggestion:

Hey everyone. I've recently been trying to decide on a better cooling for my new Q9650. I'm not happy with my temps. and the loads are terrible with my Tuniq. I was going to get a TRUE. but now I might want WC..
Here's a list I've made of things I might get for a WC setup. I'm open to changing anything on there from the RAD to a PA120.2, or anything.

Here it is:
Swiftech Apogee GT ($39.99) (Maybe GTZ)
Danger Den Black Ice GT Stealth 240 (Dual 120mm's) ($48.95
or the Swiftech MCR220 QP cuz comes with Res ($59.99) ($35 without Res)
Danger Den DD-CPX1 Pump a.k.a. DTEK DB-1 ($44.95) ???
Danger Den Fillport w/ T-Line ($11.99 + 1.99) ????
10' Generic Vinyl Tubing 1/2" ID ($6.90) (Or should I use another size)
Danger Den Hose Clamps ($7.99)
Swiftech Hydrx Coolant + 1 Gallon Distilled Water ($2.99 + $0.99)(Or whatever)
Two 120mm x 20mm SlimFan Yate Loon D12SM-12C 62CFM @ 28 dBA. (Already own and are in top of my CM 690 Case. Or I could get something better. but these are thin so I can keep my top on my CM690.

TOTAL: $164.00

This is not the best water cooling system in the world. but it would do the job. I have a Q9650 that needs some WC. Would this be enough for a 45nm Chip.

I'd love for you guys that are experts to give me some idea's, advice, and your suggestions are very much welcome.

Thanks in Advanced!!!!
I'd personally rather get the OCZ waterblock than an Apogee, not for the performance, but everything else. Or get a used Fuzion V1 or something.

MCR320. Unless you can only fit a 220, there's not much to think about there. Don't worry about the Res version or any of that nonsense!

Look for a used pump, a MCP355/DDC-3.2 (and buy a top later or with it) is pretty much everyone's favorite.

Because you should get a T-Line. NOT a nylon t-line, but for $2 you can get a brass "3 way barbed fitting" at even a place like Lowe's or Home Depot. You do not 'need' a fillport, just a PLUG, like a cork. You can also find something like this locally. For $10 though, the fillport is nice. I never even mounted mine in my case, it sits on the inside just like I could have used a cheap plug.

Get double the tubing you think you might need. If you make a mistake, you won't have to re-ship more. If you don't make a mistake, you'll have enough to rebuild it instead of cleaning all the gunk from the tubes when it comes time.

$7 for hose clamps? At Wal-Mart, you can get a huge bag of zip ties for a fraction of that. Every dollar counts, especially when other parts are being sacrificed!

Skip they Hydrx. Please! I wouldn't take more of the stuff for free, and I've got a LOT hanging around. Wal-Mart, the liquid cooling superstore, has aquarium biocide for a couple of dollars. Just drops of that will keep growth out of your loop and not clog up the parts. If you need bling, I would suggest but I know others will not separating the tip of a highlighter and dunking it in the water. I think it looks great, and the staining should be no worse than Hydrx.

I don't know where you're buying, but you can usually get the full-size Yates for like $4 each. If you get them from Petra's Tech Shop, you get the 'real' Yates. But if you're trying to keep it cheap, I can't suggest paying separate shipping just to get them.

xguntherc
10-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Grreat info.. but sadly today the guy sold the Apogee GTZ and the 665 because I didn't pay him in time. He had many people looking and I couldn't purchase til tomorrow. So I missed out on a great deal.

very upsetting. It was perfect..

For now I'm just getting a TRUE and I'll try that. I'm getting a TRUE for free. and I'll be adding a push/pull config with 2 scythe Slipstream 88 CFM 33 dBA fans to it. they are the best noise/air ratio I've seen.

Thanks for all the good input anyways guys!

Waterlogged
10-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Grreat info.. but sadly today the guy sold the Apogee GTZ and the 665 because I didn't pay him in time. He had many people looking and I couldn't purchase til tomorrow. So I missed out on a great deal.

very upsetting. It was perfect..

For now I'm just getting a TRUE and I'll try that. I'm getting a TRUE for free. and I'll be adding a push/pull config with 2 scythe Slipstream 88 CFM 33 dBA fans to it. they are the best noise/air ratio I've seen.

Thanks for all the good input anyways guys!

...but they're not good where static pressure is needed. Very good case fans though.

Better choice for the TRUE would be the good ol' YL SM or SH, much better pressure from either compared to an equal Slipstream.

xguntherc
10-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Really...

We'll I've not purchased them yet.. If your sure your right there. then I'll take your word for it and not get them. I do have Dual 120mm x 20mm slim Yate loon mediums as my two 120mm top exhaust fans.
the true I'm getting for free is actually coming with ONE Panaflo Aluminum H1 103CFM fan.. but they are like 41 dBA.. so I'm not sure if I should use it.

So what would be the BEST fan(s) for the TRUE under 37dBA...???

hellcamino
10-24-2008, 01:33 AM
If you are using a fan controller just turn down the speed a bit on that Panaflo and you will be pleasantly surprised by the noise:performance ratio.

xguntherc
10-30-2008, 05:14 PM
OK.. I got my TRUE today. but no panaflo fan. it is coming with ANOTHER true in a day or 2. I accidentally have 2 now. one for free after i got another traded.. So I wasn't going to say no to the one for free.. I'll keep it, or sell it or something.

Anyways. Here's my next question. for now all I have spare is my Antec Tri Cool 3 speed 120mm Fan. and only one as I sold the other. I'm ok with that. I'll get a better fan later for this thing. I'm thinkin I might get a Silverstone FM121 for my TRUE. or I might just use the 103 CFM Panaflo when it comes.

So, I'm about to start this little project. and I'm wondering how I should mount the true, for one. should I mount it vertical, or Horizontal. I'm sure this has been asked 100's of times. but I'm having a hard time finding a answer. lol. I'm thinkin vertical so the air can blow out the back of my case where my FM121 is. but then I've heard you want the Heatpipes going left to right not top to bottom..
Also the screws seem like they tighten down plenty good.. Should I use them. or wait and do a bolt through mod.