PDA

View Full Version : Laing DDC Questions.

Zebo
10-18-2008, 07:56 AM
I've been using a Eheim 1046 for 6 years now and just want to make more room in case. I thought about the Laing DDC because it's flat and I could put it in a bay. Also running off DC is a big bonus. I just have a couple questions before I give up my silent Ehiem.

1. Is the Laing DDC silent?

2. Is the Laing DDC submersible?

3. What function do the mod Laing DDC tops serve?
http://www.xspc.biz/ddctopbig.jpg

Snyxxx
10-18-2008, 08:44 AM
1. Yes, I think they are quiet. Need to isolate case vibrations though.
2. No.
3. Allow users to use what ever barb sizes they want instead of the molded 1/4" barbs that are stock.

Bobly
10-18-2008, 08:48 AM
While I haven't actually had mine running yet from what I understand here's the general consensus:
-Silent? If vibrations are dampened then you should barely hear them.
-Submersible? I know the DDC + XSPC top isn't, I would assume the DDC isn't either.
-Mod tops offer better performance by adjusting the path the water takes to get to the rotor.

voigts
10-18-2008, 08:50 AM
1. I have been running a DDC-1 (now the DDC3.1 or MCP350) for 1.5 years and it is very quiet provided you isolate the pump vibration with foam or something. I have my pump on memory foam with a small fan blowing on the bottom of the pump. The bottom of these pumps need to at least be open to air.

3. The barbs molded into the stock tops are 3/8", not 1/4". Since many people prefer using 1/2" metal barbs, the aftermarket pump tops allow for using any G1/4" threaded barbs. They also greatly increase the performance output of these pumps over just the stock top.

NaeKuh
10-18-2008, 08:54 AM
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/DDC31PumpTopTesting.html

Zebo
10-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys. My only question is about noise. I am building a silent fanless system which I plan to do a project log of at bittech. It must be silent - All pumps must be isolated or they make vibration noise but once done is this pump silent? I mean if you're holding it in your hand can you hear it?

Spankyfart
10-18-2008, 06:37 PM
I've been using a Eheim 1046 for 6 years now and just want to make more room in case. I thought about the Laing DDC because it's flat and I could put it in a bay. Also running off DC is a big bonus. I just have a couple questions before I give up my silent Ehiem.

1. Is the Laing DDC silent?

2. Is the Laing DDC submersible?

3. What function do the mod Laing DDC tops serve?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204241

I had similar questions, this will answer most of yours.
About the non laing tops, there is a huge topic about them from Martin.
Hope this helped.

bigslappy
10-18-2008, 06:45 PM
mine is silent after it was on rubber gromments

Spankyfart
10-18-2008, 06:49 PM
mine is silent after it was on rubber gromments

i doubt it was silent on 12v, I mean mine was right annoying and sounded like a hairdryer.
No rubber whatsjemathingies will resolve that, running any ddc at 12v is more noise then 12 fans at full speed.
They are silent at lower voltages, even without rubbers (7v)

Mine came in 3 days ago and I dind't get to play alot with it, but I'm pretty certain the observations I made are correct.
(currently test looping at 7volt.

Zebo
10-18-2008, 06:55 PM
i doubt it was silent on 12v, I mean mine was right annoying and sounded like a hairdryer.
No rubber whatsjemathingies will resolve that, running any ddc at 12v is more noise then 12 fans at full speed.

Mine came in 3 days ago and I dind't get to play alot with it, but I'm pretty certain the observations I made are correct.

Could you check something for me please? At 7V if you lift it up (hand has excellent absorption) is it silent with all your case fans off? I mean silent as in can't hear it from ears being 2-3 ft away.

YMAA
10-18-2008, 06:58 PM
If quiet is your goal the Swiftech MCP655 would probably be quieter. I like my MCP355 (rebadged DDC-3.2) a lot though, quiet enough for my needs as long as it's mounted correctly.

Spankyfart
10-18-2008, 07:06 PM
This post cracks me up...:ROTF: ROTFLMAO

DDC3.2 louder than 12 fans at 12v...:ROTF:

OK maybe that was a bit much, but mine makes alot of noise at 12v.
If you want i can record it.

you mocking me, mocking me you person red thingy, mocking me.. :p:

F1ZZY
10-18-2008, 08:01 PM
won't the 350/3.1/10w version be much quieter and more suitable for OP's needs?

Stealth42o
10-18-2008, 08:22 PM
OK maybe that was a bit much, but mine makes alot of noise at 12v.
:

I am running three and of course it makes noise. However I cannot hear it over say a raptor 150 or a yate loons at 7v.

Like posted above, it's not so much the pump that can be noisy as the vibrations it can cause if not mounted properly.

bigslappy
10-18-2008, 08:31 PM
OK if i stick my ear right up to the pump i hear a slight whirrrr sound but 5 inches away No I don't hear it ...
Now i CAN hear the pair of Iwaki RD-30's running on the rig across the room ... I even turned them off & still can't hear the DDC unless i put my ear up to it ! what top are u using ??

Hondacity
10-18-2008, 09:44 PM

is your loop totally bled out? if you have the gtz it takes about 3-5 days to bleed completely...what do you have in your loop?

i have 3 in series if i turn off my fans they are very silent....

Utnorris
10-18-2008, 11:00 PM
I have 2 with XSPC Res tops and they make no noise, maybe like Slappy said if I get right next to them I might here them. The noise you normally would hear is when air is caught in them or is being flushed through them. Once the air is out, they make virtually no noise.

Spankyfart
10-19-2008, 02:18 AM
As I said I only had it on today as the top arrived with some other bits.
I will play with it for a couple of days though, and try to run it at 12volt for a couple of hours and see how that goes.

To answer Zebo's question, at 7volt it's dead silent.

Blazing fire
10-19-2008, 03:02 AM
is your loop totally bled out? if you have the gtz it takes about 3-5 days to bleed completely...what do you have in your loop?

So the block and radiator affects the rate of bleeding too?

Bobly
10-19-2008, 03:12 AM

I don't mean to bash but I have two main concerns with what you're saying:

a/ The noise levels you're reporting are considerably higher than everyone else and you mention you're currently test looping, isn't it possible your loop isn't fully bled yet and it's the air bubbles which are known to cause noise?

b/ 12 fans at 12V? Well that's slightly vague, even if it is an exaggeration, because I can think of a huge difference between 12 low speed yate loons and 12 deltas, but either way, 12 fans? ^^ Nope :up:

Try to bleed your loop fully, you might find you're more content with the noise :)

Spankyfart
10-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Ok, seems I was indeed very incorrect about the noise levels at 12v.
Turns out my testloop was creating tiny bubbles in the loop somewhere that's why i never got rid of the noise earlier.
There is a small dent in my 120.2 where the barbs are attached on the side and I'm guessing that was the culprit in combination with a 90° old barb I had.

After running a new loop for a couple of hours I can say the noise is just audible (wooden floor - 2 layers of tissue), it does make a tad more noise then the old Eheim but not much. Ofciurse this was tested on 12v.

So I stand corrected in this and my conclusion after running it once was a premature.
I'm very happy I bought one. The aesthetic value alone is worth it, but it should perform better aswell.

Grafton
10-19-2008, 12:18 PM
lol i have 12 low speed yate's @ 12v in my rig they are VERY quite
the ddc's will make noise by rattling on what ever they are just "set on" but it you were to hold one in your hand you *MIGHT* and i stress that too, be able to hear it running from 2ft away

Hondacity
10-19-2008, 12:41 PM
So the block and radiator affects the rate of bleeding too?

based on my experience yes..i can't qualify it as a general statement. i had two pa120.3 in series so mine took longer :rofl:

ballzD33P
10-19-2008, 12:45 PM
If quiet is your goal the Swiftech MCP655 would probably be quieter. I like my MCP355 (rebadged DDC-3.2) a lot though, quiet enough for my needs as long as it's mounted correctly.

+1
ive been running d5's for about a year now and recently purchased a ddc3.2 w/ the xspc res top. i stopped using it after about a month and sold it to a "friend".
IMO, d5's are much more quiet.
they also put out less heat

T_Flight
10-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Unless you have went to extreme lengths to really go silent silent is something that is very hard to do. My definition of silent is just that...meaning every single component is less than ambient sound.

Now saying that, unless you have a PSU that doesn't have a fan on it, and have isolated the HDD's into another room the PC is not silent. Even if you have gone to that level, you will probably hear coil whine from the mobo. Many do this unless you have specifficly selected a mobo that doesn't.

See where I'm going? Silent...meaniong absolute silence is very hard to achieve.

Quiet on the other hand is much easier and the definition of quiet is in the ear of the beholder. To me, Yate Loon D12's are quiet, but they are not silent. They are quiet enough for me becasue they are quiter than ambient sound which is 30dB. You will never get complete silence. You might from your PC, but you still have ambient sound which you can't eliminate unless oyu are in a sound proof booth, so going to all that trouble is really pointless as you can never get below 30dB. If a car comes by your house it'll be even louder. Birds out the window will be louder. The hum of the lights will be louder.

It is impossible to escape the 30dB sound without a sound proof booth. It is all around us.