PDA

View Full Version : In the need of a motherboard that's going to be placed within a "router-system"

RamGuy239
10-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Hi,

I'm going to setup my own computer which will most likely be running a DD-WRT X86 "firmware" and only be used as a router and nothing more really.

The reason for this is that I've got more than enough bad experience with these horrible D-Link UbiCom based firmwares, and the other routers (like Linksys etc..) which actually do support decent third-party firmwares don't really got the amount of hardware power that I want :(

So then I've decided to build my own setup!

I was considering this system:

- AMD Athlon LE-1620
- Asus M3N78-EM
- 2GiB (2x 1GiB) Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 RAM (got these already)
- Intel PRO/1000 PT
- Intel Pro/1000GT
- Linksys WMP300N

There I've got a more than powerful enough low-power CPU, more than enough RAM (reason for those insane RAM for this setup is because I've just got them lying here not being used), a total of 3x Gigabit LAN ports, 1x for WAN and 2x for LAN) and 1x Draft-N wireless card for broadcasting the wireless!

The only thing that I'm not quite sure about is the motherboard?
These Micro-ATX motherboards are more build with integrated graphics in-mind and not network performance. And to be honest, I'm not really a fan of either Gigabytes Realtek network controllers, nor ASUS's Marvell controllers!

Is there any LGA775, AM2 / AM2+ motherboards using Broadcom or Intel network controllers?