PDA

View Full Version : Nickel cell phones causing rashes?

TedShred
10-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Was just watching a piece on the business channel that talked about some studies that are finding a link between nickel handsets and ear/ cheek rashes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27214249/

Xel'Naga
10-16-2008, 08:00 PM
I had a watch with a nickel back and caused a rash on my hand. When I went to the doctor, she said "Let me see the watch? Nickel, as I expected" and she said it's quite common

CryptiK
10-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Nokia at least is aware of the possible allergic reactions, in my phone manual it states that the navigation key is Nickel plated and to avoid touching it for prolonged periods, which is difficult as it's the key you use the most. It also touches my face around my cheekbone when I talk on it. It has yet not caused any issues, but I don't use it much at all. The companies are just cost cutting at the expense of peoples health, which really is appalling no matter which way you look at it.

The0men
10-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Nokia at least is aware of the possible allergic reactions, in my phone manual it states that the navigation key is Nickel plated and to avoid touching it for prolonged periods, which is difficult as it's the key you use the most. It also touches my face around my cheekbone when I talk on it. It has yet not caused any issues, but I don't use it much at all. The companies are just cost cutting at the expense of peoples health, which really is appalling no matter which way you look at it.

I dare say that it only affects some people. My watch was nickle plated and I wore that for three years without a worry.

CryptiK
10-17-2008, 02:00 AM
True, only a fraction of the population are immediately affected, but it's one of things to which people may develop a allergy over time. IMO only non reactive metals like stainless steel, silver and rhodium should be used so no one is affected.

Kayin
10-17-2008, 09:06 AM
+1 for nickel allergy here, but I use my cell phone like once every two weeks or so...

Robbie
10-17-2008, 12:18 PM
People have reactions with the metal in their earrings all of the time. Whether it is nickel, silver or gold. It just all depends on the person.

Larsson
10-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Very seldom use Mobile Phones since they fry your brain, friggin dislike them. You should have seen the first Ericsson 3G phones we got over here; was so much radiation that the plastic on the first models melted.