PDA

View Full Version : Having Problems With New System PLz Help..

Darkninja462
10-16-2008, 01:27 AM
I just brougt a EVGA 780i Sli Board with ESA support and having trouble installing vista i also have a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and GTX 260 Video Card and 4GB of Kingston Value Ram 677Mhz.. when i first installed vista it all worked fyn then when i restarted it bluescreen up and then restarted i think this was due to faulty drive installation so i tried again and it worked better picked up 4Gb of ram then i was copying files on2 my secondary drive and it suddlely restarted the system and it said that BOOTMGR was missing so i reconfigured the raid to raid 0 2x320GB and installed again this time windows only picks up 2.75GB of ram why could this b ?

Thnaks Ninja

xytrius
10-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Did you install 32 bit Vista? If so, then the maximum memory it will “see” is 4GB – video RAM. What is the memory on your video card?

Also, have you installed that chipset fan on your board? If you have, I would suggest removing it, that sucker blows hot air onto the video card and could be the cause of your earlier BSODs.

cobra_kai
10-16-2008, 03:11 PM
xytrius is correct, with a 32 bit operating system the most memory you can address is 2^32 bits which is 4 gigs. However, some of this addressing space is used up addressing PCI items such as graphics or sound cards, so essentially you usually see ~3 gigs of memory even if you have more installed. You can either install 64 bit in which case you can address 2^64 bits which is something like exabytes of memory or you can see if you can enable physical address extension. Look it up, but is essentially altering some registry values that allows you to address something like 2^36 bits.

Darkninja462
10-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I do Have vista 32bit and my gfx card is 896MB but i dnt no y it would have shown the full 4GB on my first installation and not on this one the only thing that is differnet is the edition cus im on home premium now but was on ultimate.

xytrius
10-17-2008, 03:18 PM
I am not sure how a 32bit install can read 4GB RAM when you have a separate video card; it is very likely an error. Did you check in the BIOS (BIOS reading will show full RAM) or within the OS?

Anyways, I built a 780i with a 9800GT a couple of months ago and Vista required a ton of updates, it took longer to update than installing the OS!

BTW, you can return your opened software directly to Microsoft for a refund, look up the local contact info for MS and call them up, two copies of Vista is too expensive to have laying around (for me at least)! :)