PDA

View Full Version : File Server

ripken204
10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I am thinking about buying a file server that I can keep running 24/7 to server files to multiple computers.

I currently have 3x1TB drives in my desktop that I am using for backups and storage along with 2x640GB drives for my Programs/OS.
I am would put the 3x1TB into the server and I am not sure about the 2x640GB yet, it depends on if I want to go with SDDs for my desktop or not.

I need some suggestions for hardware that I should get. My entire network is GBit and wireless N so my network infrastructure is good.

Whatever motherboard I decide to get will need to have GBit of course.
But I have no idea what motherboard I should get.
If I get a motherboard with 2 GBit ports, if I hook both of them up to my router, if 2 GBit computers want to access the server, will each get GBit speeds? or will it be limited to the router's Gbit speed? My router is a D-Link DIR-655.

Should I use the onboard SATA controller, or buy a separate RAID controller?
I would most likely run at least a 2x1TB in raid1 or maybe a bunch of drives in raid1/5. I am not too sure yet.

Also what processor would be a good? A cheap C2D? I do not plan on having more than two people at a time accessing this server but who knows. I just do not want to have any lag on it.
Whenever I upgrade my desktop, probably next summer, I may put my Q6700 in the server, so whatever motherboard I get I would like it to suppose quad cores.

As for ram, 4GB is so cheap so why not.

I would also like to make this server run as quiet as I can make it.

Is there anything new coming out in the next few months that I should wait for?

Also, what OS should I be using?
I have had trouble configuring FreeNAS and OpenFiler before.
I have had success using Windows Home Server 2003 but a linux based OS just seems better to me.. I have no idea though so you guys try to convince me on what is the best to use.

I would also like to use it as a small web server running apache/php/mysql.

As far as cases go, does it matter for a server or no? Just as long as I can hold my hard drives and cool them properly?

I do not really have an issue spending $500+ on this, but the cheaper the better of course. I already have a lot of hard drive space, I just need everything else..

If you guys could help me out in picking out parts that would be great.

Yakyb
10-14-2008, 02:53 AM
if your running this full time and have no other use for it than a fileserver / possible webserver i would go as low power consumption as possible

i run a 3600x2 on a 690g mobo now running server 2008
you could probably pick those parts up dirt cheap now and power requirements are pretty low. although i may need more PCI ports than my current 690g offers i suppose you could also experiment with atom as this should suffice for what you need. i would love to get an atom but having bought a house 3 months ago im kinda on a budget right now

a good case that i havnt seen many people use is the sharkoon rebel 12 i use this and the space is unreal

i would have thought on board would probably do you for the time being esspecially considering the low load and only a few drives. the main problem i have with my home server is the HDD controller as once you get above 4 ports they become very expensive esspecially for what i need it for

you will also want to speck out a good high efficiency PSU with plenty of SATA ports corsair 620 is very quiet.

Bobsama
10-14-2008, 03:59 AM
Are you a college student? If so, you can get Server 2003 R2 or Server 2008 (both Standard edition) for free with DreamSpark (https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com/).

Movieman
10-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Are you a college student? If so, you can get Server 2003 R2 or Server 2008 (both Standard edition) for free with DreamSpark (https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com/).

Wish I was a student.. That server 2008 looks nice..:rolleyes:

nn_step
10-14-2008, 04:23 AM
Your performance is mostly going to be limited by your router and your NIC. Thus as cheap mobo/cpu setup as you can get [of a quality brand] with 1-2GB of ram and you should be good to go.

karl_eller
10-14-2008, 04:59 AM
For a file server, you won't see a whole lot of CPU use, so you can get away with a cheap dualie (E5200's are nice low-powered chips).

For drive controllers, if you're just using single drives or small RAID0 or RAID1 arrays, the on-board SATA ports will be fine. If you're looking at RAID5 or 6 (ie a RAID array that uses parity and error checking), that's when a good RAID controller comes in handy, but they aren't cheap (Sort of around the $500 for a good 8-port RAID card).

Most dual Gigabit boards allow teaming of both the ports, so they effectively act together as a single 2 Gbit port. Keep in mind, however, that you're always going to be held back by the slowest component in your system, most likely the connection from the client to the host/server. But dual gigabit will most likely speed up multiple simultaneous connections (assuming they aren't slowed down by HDD access).

If you have access to DreamSpark or the MSDN Academic Alliance, you may as well use Server 2k3 or 2k8 (I'd personally recommend 2k8). 2k8 is a very stable system, supports hot-swapping of HDDs, and also has a lot of toys you can play around with when you're bored (Hyper-V is pretty sweet).
But if you can't get Server 2k3/2k8 for free, your best bet would probably be a Linux distro with SAMBA. Ubuntu is fairly easy to set up and has fairly nice hardware support, and I'm sure some more Linux-knowledgeable people can recommend some other Distros.
Just keep in mind driver support if you're going to be using RAID arrays, as especially a lot of the on-board RAID controllers do stuff very differently between Windows and Linux.

Wish I was a student.. That server 2008 looks nice..:rolleyes:
Oh, it is, I'm running it on my server/cruncher, as well as my gaming rig (makes a VERY nice gaming/general use OS once it's tweaked up nicely). Half tempted to try it out on the laptop some time :p:

Eller

Yakyb
10-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Server 2008 is nice but much in the same way that vista is nice compared to XP

alot of GUI updates to an already functioning system. the 2008 OS does seem alot smoother to me but i really dont like the new IIS thus far everything else seems good though just starting to experiment using SQL server 2008 now to see what the new BI stuff can do

Yak

ripken204
10-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Yes and I have access to the MSDNAA :)
So I might as well try out Server 2008.
But can I set up apache/mysql/php efficiently on this?

I have also thought about using it as a media server as well... and maybe putting my tv tuner in it.
I am going to use 4GB in it, it is so cheap so there is no point in going for less.

That sharkoon rebel case looks nice but I can't find any major US retailers that are selling it.

so for the cpu I should maybe get a 45w dual core amd? such as the 4850e?

karl_eller
10-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Apache is easy, I've got 2.6 running on my S2k8 x64 box without too much trouble. If you look at Apace Tomcat eventually (which is Apache with Java Servletts and the like), you'll just need to install the x83 version of the JRE, as Tomcat has issues with the x64 JRE.

If you're going to be putting your Q6700 in there eventually, wouldn't it make more sense to start off with an Intel board (eg P35/43/45) and a cheap dualie (Eg E5200)? The E7200 and E5200 both have a 65W TDP, so they'll be drawing less than that at load without too much trouble.

Also, you should put this on WCG, especially if you put a quad in there :P It runs at a fairly low priority, so it won't interfere with people accessing your server, puts the CPU to use, and helps science! See the WCG board for more details (I'm surprised MovieMan didn't suggest this :p:).

Eller

texnofobix
10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
I'd go the linux route. I think it's got a better track record and better upgradability (think apt-get). My fileserver is a 750 gb SW sata raid-1 running on a lowend amd64x2 and 2gb of ram.

I have apache and samba running on it.

ripken204
10-14-2008, 06:22 PM
so what kind of linux? i use ubuntu for coding so i am already used to it, as well as centos for servers, but is there anything meant more towards a file server?

texnofobix
10-14-2008, 07:03 PM
so what kind of linux? i use ubuntu for coding so i am already used to it, as well as centos for servers, but is there anything meant more towards a file server?

I use Gentoo myself. There may be a good distro for it, but ubuntu might be easier.

iadstudio
10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm in the process of setting a file server up myself. Due to network constraints, power consumption and cost, I'm using a PIII Tualatin, and an Asus server mobo. Got the whole setup with RAM and 20GB HDD for $30 shipped. From what I'm told, it should be more than enough horsepower to use as a file server and transfer rates will max out due to network, not hardware. Sounds like you have much bigger plans though.

I'm running either Kubuntu or Ubuntu, not sure yet which one, but since I don't know linux and am learning, it really doesn't make much difference to me.

GoldenEye
10-15-2008, 01:36 AM

You can download free Win 2K8 Enterprise (X86/64)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=13C7300E-935C-415A-A79C-538E933D5424&displaylang=en

You only can use it 3x60 day's, but there are crack ..... ;)

Bobsama
10-15-2008, 06:06 AM
You can download a full single-license version of Server 08 Standard. It's fairly strait forward: you can add roles to your server as you want. I assume one would be storage server, another perhaps media server, and a third your Apache/web server. It's fairly easy to setup: it will walk you through after you do the upgrades. I installed Server 08 on a VHD through Virtual PC 2007, to see what it's all about and how well it may work for me. Installation took a while, but updates &c were fast. Play around with different OS's before you commit: all those Linux distros, BSD distros, Server 03 R2, and Server 08. Windows servers can run up to like 180 days before activation, and Linux is free. It's about what you're most comfortable with: it's going to be your server.

By the way--if you know how to use Terminal, most Linux distros have a "web server" option as either a Terminal or in the GUI--and the Universe/Multiverse typically has all the software you need, of course.

Anyways--if you have an older system, Server 03 R2 is the best choice from Windows. New is of course Server 08. Also realize you can run some of this stuff in virtual machines: meaning if you only need your Apache server for a few tasks, you can set up VMWare or similar, and get that server up and running just for the purpose of your task. Same thing with cross-platform development: you can use VMs to make sure it works with different software setups.

ripken204
10-15-2008, 06:52 AM
i will prolly just try out server 2008 and ubuntu and see which ones i like then :)

i need to get my hardware tho. so a cheap C2D i guess and a mobo with enough sata ports for now?
any recommendations?

technodanvan
10-15-2008, 07:28 AM
It was mentioned before that you should probably run a RAID5 array for a good file server and that a good RAID card is generally expensive.

Google "Perc 5/i"

There is probably a thread here on it, I know there is at OCN. You can't go wrong for the price, and it's dedicated hardware. And it has drivers for multiple variants of Linux, if that's what you're into.

I also say go for an Intel board now if you'll be putting your quad in it eventually...no reason not to.

Unless of course you get an AMD board with onboard video. Might be a nice option.

ripken204
10-15-2008, 07:31 AM
intel boards also have onboard video as well. i'll have to look around for the next week and see what i can come up with.

Bobsama
10-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Depending on budget... you can get a LGA775 board with PCI-X slots. There are two from SuperMicro that I see--one X38 and the other X48. Onboard RAID of course as well, but a lot of expansion options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182149 $210 X38
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182163 $240 X48

Other then that, look at the new Gigabyte UD3 boards...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359 UD3R $120 - $15 MIR = $105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358 UD3P $137 - $20 MIR = $117

Realistically, anything would work. G965 and upwards compatible with Wolfdale would be valid choices--you probably want ICH8/9/10R, which is alright so keep your eyes out for it.

RaZz!
10-15-2008, 08:32 AM
why not just build up a nice nas-box? no additional hardware needed. and it consumes way less power.

technodanvan
10-15-2008, 08:47 AM
intel boards also have onboard video as well. i'll have to look around for the next week and see what i can come up with.

True, but they all suck. And there aren't many full-size boards that offer it either, which you might want.

Bobsama
10-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Which reminds me: nForce motherboards typically have onboard video and onboard RAID--just more choices really.

ripken204
10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
True, but they all suck. And there aren't many full-size boards that offer it either, which you might want.

it's a server tho.. why do i need good graphics?

Bobsama - i may go for one of those gigabytes, thanks, im still going to do some looking around tho.