PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best pump out there today?

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Im doing one huge loop, just wondering what pump to get. I already have a swiftech mc655 pump, and I plan on adding another on the opposite end of the loop.

geoffsthaboss
10-13-2008, 09:25 AM
you just need one (http://www.petrastechshop.com/iwrd24vdcinp.html)

Navanod
10-13-2008, 09:40 AM
my my...what a big can of worms this thread just opened up
lol

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Is having 2 bad?

What can of worms did I just open ? :ROTF:

Thing is I already HAVE one of the swiftech pumps, so thought I could save some money by putting another one on the other end of the loop. The pump is swiftech mcp655.

Its going to be a realy big loop. Thank you all for the replies, please keep them coming.

Utnorris
10-13-2008, 09:59 AM
It would be better to seperate the video cards from the cpu and create a second loop. This will keep the heat from the gpu's, which is a lot, from being dumped on the cpu. Not sure why you want to do one loop instead of 2. Use two PA120.2's or TFC's dual 120 rads instead of one 4 120mm rad. You will get better flow and temps from two loops vs. the single one you are proposing. Why are you trying to limit it to one loop?

Waterlogged
10-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Is having 2 bad?

What can of worms did I just open ? :ROTF:

Thing is I already HAVE one of the swiftech pumps, so thought I could save some money by putting on on the other end of the loop.

Its going to be a realy big loop. Thank you all for the replies, please keep them coming.

The "can" you opened, is indeed fraught with peril. Some, like geoff, will indeed say the Iwaki. There is very little, if anything to dispute this. Problem is, you need a separate power supply to run it. Then others, like myself, will say the MCP355/DDC 3.2 is the best when paired with an aftermarket top. There are test numbers to prove this all over the place and are easy enough to find by searching. Then you also get others yet who will come in a proclaim the D5 is the best due to it's reliability and try to bludgeon anyone that says anything good about the DDC's because they had a pump or two die a very very long time ago when Laing was making a much older revision. They just can't seem to let go and move on, and this topic will spiral out of control until it's finally locked or deleted by some heavy handed mod.

That, is the "can" you have opened. :D

NaeKuh
10-13-2008, 10:08 AM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0658.jpg

.. Thread...

my my...what a big can of worms this thread just opened up
lol

cuz your talking about a man pump.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0661.jpg

And a man pump requires its own psu:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0663.jpg

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 10:14 AM
It would be better to seperate the video cards from the cpu and create a second loop. This will keep the heat from the gpu's, which is a lot, from being dumped on the cpu. Not sure why you want to do one loop instead of 2. Use two PA120.2's or TFC's dual 120 rads instead of one 4 120mm rad. You will get better flow and temps from two loops vs. the single one you are proposing. Why are you trying to limit it to one loop?

I have been using a single loop for a while now and already have the equipement in place for it. The single loop I have now is q6600 running at 3700mhz, NB of 680i and last on the loop is a overclocked 8800 ultra. Ultra never breaks 50c even under load.

So the reason I want to run on one loop is because I already have the equipement. 8 fans, the huge asskicking radiator.

Now I have heard alot of people say the q9550 runs cooler than the q6600 and that the gtx280 runs cooler than the 8800 ultras.

So all I am doing is adding another 2 cards (cooler running ones) to the end of the loop.

I fully believe this 480mm radiator will be able to carry this load and more, why wouldnt it? Anyway Im sticking with it. Infact Im thinking about throwing the SB and mofsets into the loop as well. My only concern is head. So I was just wondering if I could throw in another swiftech mcp655 on the loop or something else.

IanY
10-13-2008, 10:16 AM
I say its not smart to run a giant loop. It would be wise to seperate your cpu from everything else, and the best practical pump for that is a DDC 3.2 with aftermarket top, or two of them in series.

As to Iwakis, its still not smart to lump your cpu along with everything else.

Your cpu is minutely temperature sensitive and has immense direct bearing on whatever overclocking you are doing, or none at all. The rest, such as the video card, and the NB/SB etc., will hardly make a difference with a 10 degree differential.

Cutless009
10-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Why do you need a 2nd PSU to run the Iwaki? Surely if you had a 1200watt psu (or maybe even the 1600watt Ultra X3) you could run this on it?

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 10:25 AM
The "can" you opened, is indeed fraught with peril. Some, like geoff, will indeed say the Iwaki. There is very little, if anything to dispute this. Problem is, you need a separate power supply to run it. Then others, like myself, will say the MCP355/DDC 3.2 is the best when paired with an aftermarket top. There are test numbers to prove this all over the place and are easy enough to find by searching. Then you also get others yet who will come in a proclaim the D5 is the best due to it's reliability and try to bludgeon anyone that says anything good about the DDC's because they had a pump or two die a very very long time ago when Laing was making a much older revision. They just can't seem to let go and move on, and this topic will spiral out of control until it's finally locked or deleted by some heavy handed mod.

That, is the "can" you have opened. :D

Im with you there. I dont want to deal with another powersupply,so that leaves the expensive iwaki pump out the loop.

Can I use 2x mcp655's in the same loop? Can they both be connected to the motherboard for power? (I already have 1 and I could save alot of money by getting one more and calling it the day).

Also, what is a aftermarket top?

+ rep guys thank you for answering my questions. Awaiting responses.

FuriousSalesman
10-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Why do you need a 2nd PSU to run the Iwaki? Surely if you had a 1200watt psu (or maybe even the 1600watt Ultra X3) you could run this on it?

The most a computer power supply can provide a pump is 12 volts. The Meanwell Auxiliary power supply can provide up to 24 volts of DC power. The Iwaki pump is rated for 24 v. The Meanwell also lets you dial the power lower to 18 volts or maybe lower. How do I know? Because I own one too.

T_Flight
10-13-2008, 10:30 AM
I think the question is what is the "best" pump for you, since "best" is a relative term. :)

The Iwaki's are the Xtreme beast, and there is no doubt. All one has to do is look at the specs. They move water at bigtime flows...period. They require a 24v variable power unit though to run them and dial them back to their less than 18v sweet spot. The pump is large, but everything is relative. It is extremely powerful, and should last forever.

The MCP 655 is a good all around pump also if you were going to run in series you'd want matched pumps. The DDC 3.2 is slioghtly more efficient with a pump top now though, and the tend seems to be going it's way in the small pump market.

The DDC 3.2 is pretty much the best small pump out there. It pretty much requires a top to run it's best. It also really needs the larger fittings like most of us are using. Don't know what size you are using, but most of these aftermarket tops are made for G 1/4 fittings. They perform really well.

If you have alot of restrictive things in the loop dual pumps or an Iwaki might be good, but as was stated earlier when you get that much stuff heat dump becomes an issue and it's better to slit the loops up to dual or even 3. It's been said on here that this is the age of multi loop setups. As computing power increases I can see that becoming more and more common for the watercooler. It was almost nonexixtant 6 years ago, but now it's becoming the norm.

Personally I'm starting off with a single loop just for cost savings, and to learn with, but plan on going dual loop later. It really comes down to cost, and what you are looking for. The 3 I posted about are all good pumps. I;'ve read alot about them. Those are the chosen 3. If you go with any of those you really can't go wrong. Since I'm new and am buying all new stuff, I'm going with the DDC3.2 with new Petra Top when available, or may go with another Top depending on timing. Alex and the folks at Petra's have helped me alot and have been very nice, and have spent alot of their time helping me on the phone, so I'm gonna try and wait patiently for his new top. :)

There are lots of tests out there that have been done, and lots of info int he stickies that still applies. There are a great mnay threads on this subject also.

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 10:30 AM
I say its not smart to run a giant loop. It would be wise to seperate your cpu from everything else, and the best practical pump for that is a DDC 3.2 with aftermarket top, or two of them in series.

As to Iwakis, its still not smart to lump your cpu along with everything else.

Your cpu is minutely temperature sensitive and has immense direct bearing on whatever overclocking you are doing, or none at all. The rest, such as the video card, and the NB/SB etc., will hardly make a difference with a 10 degree differential.

Like I said, I have no choice in the matter. I make good money but I am no bottomless pit. I have to try and see if this works before I go spend another arm and a leg on another loop.

I do have one of the best and biggest radiators available, modified to be even better (with a hood). I was running my q6600 at 20 20 25 25 temps on idle at 1.5vbios 3700mhz, so like I said, I am not concerned about a COOLER RUNNING CPU q9550.

I do have the cpu first in the loop tho, obviously.

Thanks for the reply.

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 10:38 AM
I think the question is what is the "best" pump for you, since "best" is a relative term. :)

The Iwaki's are the Xtreme beast, and there is no doubt. All one has to do is look at the specs. They move water at bigtime flows...period. They require a 24v variable power unit though to run them and dial them back to their less than 18v sweet spot. The pump is large, but everything is relative. It is extremely powerful, and should last forever.

The MCP 655 is a good all around pump also if you were going to run in series you'd want matched pumps. The DDC 3.2 is slioghtly more efficient with a pump top now though, and the tend seems to be going it's way in the small pump market.

The DDC 3.2 is pretty much the best small pump out there. It pretty much requires a top to run it's best. It also really needs the larger fittings like most of us are using. Don't know what size you are using, but most of these aftermarket tops are made for G 1/4 fittings. They perform really well.

If you have alot of restrictive things in the loop dual pumps or an Iwaki might be good, but as was stated earlier when you get that much stuff heat dump becomes an issue and it's better to slit the loops up to dual or even 3. It's been said on here that this is the age of multi loop setups. As computing power increases I can see that becoming more and more common for the watercooler. It was almost nonexixtant 6 years ago, but now it's becoming the norm.

Personally I'm starting off with a single loop just for cost savings, and to learn with, but plan on going dual loop later. It really comes down to cost, and what you are looking for. The 3 I posted about are all good pumps. I;'ve read alot about them. Those are the chosen 3. If you go with any of those you really can't go wrong. Since I'm new and am buying all new stuff, I'm going with the DDC3.2 with new Petra Top when available, or may go with another Top depending on timing. Alex and the folks at Petra's have helped me alot and have been very nice, and have spent alot of their time helping me on the phone, so I'm gonna try and wait patiently for his new top. :)

There are lots of tests out there that have been done, and lots of info int he stickies that still applies. There are a great mnay threads on this subject also.

Thank you for taking your time . Your reply makes alot of sense to me and also helped me make my desicion of going with another mcp655.

I am in the same boat as you, and will go 1 loop, at least till it becomes necessary to go another loop.

But that said, I think my radiator deserves a second look by some of you guys trying to help me. Its a 480mm radiator with room for 4 120 mm fans. Thats pretty huge right?

And I have 8 120 mm fans doing the push pull deal to get even more heat dispersion.

Do anyof you use 2 loops with a bix 480?

NaeKuh
10-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Butt kicking pump to match J/K

with 2 pumps on same rad will increase heat dump to the loop

:rofl:

winner! 26m head FTW!

:ROTF:

luxbel
10-13-2008, 10:44 AM
k, i have the q9550. now, my mega loop is also in the works. i don't have plans really to overclock, so not looking for the lowest temps possible. however, if you already have 1 MCP655, just get another one and run both at the same setting. you want, if you go down the route of two pumps, both of them to be exactly the same or as close as possible.

now, that being said, there are a few things i've seen around here:

best practice: multiple loops. people suggest this a lot. it has more to do with the fact that some are looking for the lowest temps possible to extend their overclocking abilities. this may or may not apply to you.

cost/efficiency: 2 loops - usually: CPU only, GPU + accessories in another. matter of taste on how you want to do this, but you'll have members here suggesting a CPU only for best cooling possible, and a secondary loop for everything else, as iany suggests.

if your case can accommodate either of the above, i would follow their advice.

if you're like me, with a small case, then remember: you're sacrificing cooling ability (the number of blocks will impact flow - which means you need to start looking at low restriction blocks and shortest tubing possible) because of the amount of heat you're dumping into the loop. My planned loop, since i'm still waiting for a couple of parts to finally get here, is cpu -> gpu -> sb -> nb -> mosfet 1 & 2 -> ram. without the ram block in the equation (or the flowmeter, for the moment being) i should be roughly at 1.2 to 1.4 GPM, more than enough as everyone suggests - all this with a mcp355 with an XSPC top. will i be able to overclock this beast? probably not much before i start affecting the temps of the entire system. do i care? not really.

but only you can answer that last question. do you care if you can overclock the q9550 on a mega loop?

Utnorris
10-13-2008, 10:54 AM
The reason I say to split the loops is that you are adding two additional cards that run very hot. However, if you do want to run on single loop then I would grab another MCP655 exactly like what you have and then two EK D5 tops. I would then connect them in series, maybe using a sli or cf interconnect (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=411&products_id=21542) rather than tubing, this would be the easiest way to add it into the system. This should give you plenty of flow, which is what I believe you are trying to get. I would also look at doing a push/pull fan setup on your rad to compensate for the added heat dump by the additional video cards. Notice I did not mention the added heat by the CPU, that's because you are correct that it will run cooler (should) than your Q6600, but 3 GTX280's will add a lot of heat into your loop that your single 8800 did not. Worse case scenario is that you can try this and if it does not get you the results you want then you can easily break it up. Good luck and make sure you post your results please.

Shocker003
10-13-2008, 11:08 AM
You can try one of these out
http://www.aquatuning.de/product_info.php/info/p3329_Sanso-12V-PDH-054-Pumpe.html
9m head

OR this

http://www.aquatuning.de/product_info.php/info/p2398_Alphacool-OASE-Kreiselpumpe-12Volt-DC-AP1510--mit-Netzteil-.html
5,6m head

Sadasius
10-13-2008, 11:28 AM
I am doing the same as you but instead of one 480 I have two 240 GTX's. I say you will be fine with what you are planning and don't need to split it in two loops. Just make sure your fans are good one's however especially if it is a GTX. They work better at medium high to freakin nuts speeds. Also remember that bleeding two pumps on one loop is extra fun too. You will have to run one pump first then the other when there is sufficient water in the loop. After that your shaking your case like a madman and making new curse words. :up:

Scubar
10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Butt kicking pump to match J/K

with 2 pumps on same rad will increase heat dump to the loop

LoL. Makes the Iwaki look like a water pistol.

There isnt really a best pump because it depends on your needs. There are alot of pumps better than the Iwaki if you bother to look for them, chances of needing that amout of power though is extremely slim.

Eddie3dfx
10-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Is the laing d5 more reliable than the Eheim 1046?

AndrewZorn
10-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Reliability is going to be hard to compare with these pumps, for so many reasons:
- Unintentional abuse (running dry when bleeding, dyes/additives, corrosion)
- Revisions
- Chance

I think people still see D5 as the more reliable one because of its large/robust construction, and from the bad DDC3.2's from before.

I have a D5, but I don't think I fully understood the 3.2 when I bought it. The D5 was suggested for me on this forum.

StAndrew
10-13-2008, 01:06 PM
I find it hard to believe a single MCP655 cant handle your loop. How many computers are you cooling?

Sure there might be better options (the MCP355 with its top seems to be a fav around here) but I dont think its worth the extra $$$.

Look at the heads on both, the 355 wins by about 1.5PSI. Im sure an aftermarket MPC655 top will help boost performance to at least match the MCP355.

Try this:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198165&highlight=X-Top

IanY
10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Like I said, I have no choice in the matter. I make good money but I am no bottomless pit. I have to try and see if this works before I go spend another arm and a leg on another loop.

I do have one of the best and biggest radiators available, modified to be even better (with a hood). I was running my q6600 at 20 20 25 25 temps on idle at 1.5vbios 3700mhz, so like I said, I am not concerned about a COOLER RUNNING CPU q9550.

I do have the cpu first in the loop tho, obviously.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Bloomstomb,

Do you live in the City or round about? In the context of NYC, "bottomless pit" has taken on whole new dimensions in this day and age.

Anyway, you appear very well heeled, with your triple SLI and quad ram and quad core machine. Expanding a second loop only requires a second pump and perhaps a second reservoir, unless you believe in T-lines.

The cost is really limited to the second pump plus a bit of incremental tubing, if even that.

Nevertheless, it was just a suggestion. If you want to stick to a single loop, the best approach would be an identical MCP655/D5, which you no doubt can use because some serious head pressure is required to plumb all those blocks.

Cheers to you and best of luck.

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi, thanks for the replies all.

I am using this on only 1 computer, but its a big loop, with a huge radiator and alot of fans.

I have dealt with head pressure in my aquarium, and instinct is telling me that after 6 or 7 waterblocks being hit, the flow rate might realy suffer.

I dont mind spending a few extra dollars for a mcp655 if it gives me the peace of mind that the water wont move , or move too slow and fry my machine.

I want to give the bix 480 every chance to dissipate as much heat as it can.

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi Bloomstomb,

Do you live in the City or round about? In the context of NYC, "bottomless pit" has taken on whole new dimensions in this day and age.

Anyway, you appear very well heeled, with your triple SLI and quad ram and quad core machine. Expanding a second loop only requires a second pump and perhaps a second reservoir, unless you believe in T-lines.

The cost is really limited to the second pump plus a bit of incremental tubing, if even that.

Nevertheless, it was just a suggestion. If you want to stick to a single loop, the best approach would be an identical MCP655/D5, which you no doubt can use because some serious head pressure is required to plumb all those blocks.

Cheers to you and best of luck.

Hi Iany, thank you for the reply.

I just moved out of the city a couple of years ago into brooklyn because the city life just got too expensive and impractical with a toddler.

My situation right now is I need a high end machine that I work from (as a trader). I have a good machine now, but its been crashing everytime there is large amounts of information coming through (mostly volume spikes in the market), which has been hurting me more than the cost of this new machine will.

Ofcourse I also like to play games on this machine (hence sli) and since I already have a handfull of nice 24" monitors (for charts, quotes, orderentry), I figured I would start widescreen gaming on my free time :D. That is why I went with triple sli gtx280s to run 3x monitors at 1680x1050 via triplehead2go.

OK now that my long life story is out of the way(lol), to the important stuff.

It just dawned on me that you are saying its possible to make a second loop without buying more fans and another rad.

Could you please show me a schematic of how I could create a 2nd loop?

I want to include the following in both loops.

CPU(q9550)
Mosfets (780i ftw)
NB, SB
3x gtx280's.
If I possibly can, the memory and velociraptor as well.

Is there a guide to such a thing? Like a step by step guide to what I am trying to establish here?

PS I still need to buy all the waterblocks(except for the video cards which already come with blocks), tubing, clamps, coolant, and another pump. Im probably forgetting something.

Thank you VERY much

rge
10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Can you post load temps, before and after, once you get it built...just curious how 3 gpu's/wb will affect cpu temps. I had one OCed ultra with full cover wb and OCed core duo in a single loop with a PA 120.3, when I unplugged the ultra load temps dropped 6C, removing it completely dropped another ~1C.

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Can you post load temps, before and after, once you get it built...just curious how 3 gpu's/wb will affect cpu temps. I had one OCed ultra with full cover wb and OCed core duo in a single loop with a PA 120.3, when I unplugged the ultra load temps dropped 6C, removing it completely dropped another ~1C.

Deffinetly. I will

IanY
10-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Iany, thank you for the reply.

I just moved out of the city a couple of years ago into brooklyn because the city life just got too expensive and impractical with a toddler.

My situation right now is I need a high end machine that I work from (as a trader). I have a good machine now, but its been crashing everytime there is large amounts of information coming through (mostly volume spikes in the market), which has been hurting me more than the cost of this new machine will.

Ofcourse I also like to play games on this machine (hence sli) and since I already have a handfull of nice 24" monitors (for charts, quotes, orderentry), I figured I would start widescreen gaming on my free time :D. That is why I went with triple sli gtx280s to run 3x monitors at 1680x1050 via triplehead2go.

OK not that my story is out of the way, to the important stuff.

It just dawned on me that you are saying its possible to make a second loop without buying more fans and another rad.

Could you please show me a schematic of how I could create a 2nd loop?

I want to include the following in both loops.

CPU(q9550)
Mosfets (780i ftw)
NB, SB
3x gtx280's.
If I possibly can, the memory and velociraptor as well.

Is there a guide to such a thing? Like a step by step guide to what I am trying to establish here?

PS I still need to buy all the waterblocks(except for the video cards which already come with blocks), tubing, clamps, coolant, and another pump. Im probably forgetting something.

Thank you VERY much

Bloomstomb,

I knew that the "Blooms" part of your name referred to what I guess it meant.

I moved out of Manhattan myself, then to Brooklyn Heights, then Park Slope< and now I'm up in Connecticut. I work on the blasted institution on Greenwich Street in Tribeca (I'm sure you know what I am talking about).

Irony of ironies. I have a trading machine with a Matrox Parhelia triple head myself. Only thing is that its a quite dated AMD dual core machine with 19 inch LCDs. I do mostly equity options, treasuries and some forex. My employer hates my active trading and I have gotten myself into trouble more than a few times (accusations of speculation without actual grounds).

I really wouldn't want to play games on my trading machine, and I don't even use it for anything but trading.

Now to answer your question. Its very simple.

Small Reservoir -> New D5 or DDC 3.2/top -> Some new 360 radiator -> D-Tek CPU block -> back to reservoir

Reservoir -> D5 pump -> BI 480 GTX -> GPU 1 -> GPU 2 -> GPU 3 -> NB -> SB -> Mosfet 1 -> Mosfet 2 -> reservoir.

This isolates your cpu from everything else, especially the heat generation of that tri-sli.

Once again, if you make your living by trading, I really suggest that you build yourself a serious trading machine,and not install games on the same HDD as the drive on which you make your living.

A trading machine is way too serious to BSOD at trade execution. I like my Windows OS install as lean as possible (XP64). I have no sound card and I even remove windows media player.

Sadasius
10-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Well if you can stand the noise this one has pretty good flow...:ROTF:

http://www.bigshop.com.au/mas_assets/full/BIG-JL30CX.jpg

Utnorris
10-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Bloom,
I think what you were asking Iany is how to split the Rad to two loops, correct? If that is what you are asking then you could just use some "Y" fittings to do this, one to combine and one to split the flow to the two pumps. Essentially, you could split it after the rad, one to the CPU and the other to the GPU's. Then recombine the flow before the res and pumps. Or you could put the pumps right after the split after the rad and then combine it right before the res. Not sure how much restriction this would add, but you could try it. I would stick to the original plan and get a new mcp655 and put the pumps in series.

IanY
10-13-2008, 03:02 PM
UT, I think his single loop idea is still better than the parallel split up and re-combine heh

Utnorris
10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Completely agree.

melanko
10-13-2008, 03:23 PM
http://images.builderssquare.com/Detail/0/7/36/7036902_Detail.jpg

Flow is going to depend on how strong you are.

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Bloomstomb,

I knew that the "Blooms" part of your name referred to what I guess it meant.

I moved out of Manhattan myself, then to Brooklyn Heights, then Park Slope< and now I'm up in Connecticut. I work on the blasted institution on Greenwich Street in Tribeca (I'm sure you know what I am talking about).

Irony of ironies. I have a trading machine with a Matrox Parhelia triple head myself. Only thing is that its a quite dated AMD dual core machine with 19 inch LCDs. I do mostly equity options, treasuries and some forex. My employer hates my active trading and I have gotten myself into trouble more than a few times (accusations of speculation without actual grounds).

I really wouldn't want to play games on my trading machine, and I don't even use it for anything but trading.

Now to answer your question. Its very simple.

Small Reservoir -> New D5 or DDC 3.2/top -> Some new 360 radiator -> D-Tek CPU block -> back to reservoir

Reservoir -> D5 pump -> BI 480 GTX -> GPU 1 -> GPU 2 -> GPU 3 -> NB -> SB -> Mosfet 1 -> Mosfet 2 -> reservoir.

This isolates your cpu from everything else, especially the heat generation of that tri-sli.

Once again, if you make your living by trading, I really suggest that you build yourself a serious trading machine,and not install games on the same HDD as the drive on which you make your living.

A trading machine is way too serious to BSOD at trade execution. I like my Windows OS install as lean as possible (XP64). I have no sound card and I even remove windows media player.

Yeah all too familiar (if your talking about the WTC). Worked on wallstreet from 1999 till about 2004.
How is the commute from ct? What do you do there at the WTC site btw?

I appreciate the time you took writing the post. I realy want to stay away from a additional radiator and additional fans/noize.I thought earlier you had said I could create a 2nd loop with T lines or something using one rad (just heard what I wanted to hear I guesslol).

Im thinking about just slimming down the loop and putting heatsinks and small fans on things like mosfet, memory and SB. Would realy solve alot of problems.

Shocker003
10-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Why donīt you check the Sanso 12V PDH 054 Pumpe.
It`s about the only pump that comes closer to the Iwaki when it comes to head pressure.

IanY
10-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah all too familiar (if your talking about the WTC). Worked on wallstreet from 1999 till about 2004.
How is the commute from ct? What do you do there at the WTC site btw?

I appreciate the time you took writing the post. I realy want to stay away from a additional radiator and additional fans/noize.I thought earlier you had said I could create a 2nd loop with T lines or something using one rad (just heard what I wanted to hear I guesslol).

Im thinking about just slimming down the loop and putting heatsinks and small fans on things like mosfet, memory and SB. Would realy solve alot of problems.

First of all, forget I said anything. Go ahead and buy your second D5 pump. Run that one loop with one radiator. Make yourself happy. Its your machine. You should do what you want to do.

Worked in the business since the mid-1980s. Started in M&A and LBOs, then venture capital, then derivative capital markets, then credit risk management, and now workouts lol

The commute is horrendous and its a nightmare. I moved to CT because Brooklyn isn't conducive to someone who likes cars (beyond basic transportation), and while I had a beautiful brownstone facing Prospect Park, my wife was pregnant, and a fith floor walk up wasn't smart. Plus I was spending almost two hours a night parking the darn cars. I was on the 82nd Floor of 2 WTC on that morning. My current employer is based at 388 Greenwich in Tribeca, arms outstretched for your tax dollars to bail them out lol

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 03:56 PM
UT, I think his single loop idea is still better than the parallel split up and re-combine heh

I think I will stick with a single loop. Just a couple more things .

I have a d-tek fuzion for the cpu and a MCW30 that i was cooling the NB with. SO I was thinking I could continue using both of these blocks. The cards I am getting already come with water blocks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143143

How should I cool the SB ?

IanY
10-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Stick to a MCW30 for the SB as well.

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Worked in the business since the mid-1980s. Started in M&A and LBOs, then venture capital, then derivative capital markets, then credit risk management, and now workouts lol

Now thats some resume lol. Fiancial industry has been a complete trainwreck. The are so many extremely bright folk right now who have lost their jobs because of a few greedy pigs on wallstreet who thought it would be a good idea to pad their balance sheets with a few extra cents in premiums gotten from cds's.:shakes:

I have been proffesionaly trading for almost 10 years now, and needless to say I have never thought a market like this would happen in my lifetime.

I trade almost exclusively equities and noone knows how to price these things. Stocks like XOM , with HUGE market capital are moving 10-15% a day, interday, up and down. Morgan stanley has gone down 60% and rallied 120% in 2 days of trading, and this story repeats itself in almost every stock I look at.

Its like the wild west , but with bazookas and m16s:eek:.

Now to get back on subject before the mods delete my thread :cool:.

So a single loop it is!

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Stick to a MCW30 for the SB as well.

THANK YOU. Now thats the kinda answer I was hoping for. I think there will be barely enough wiggle room next to the gtx that will be there but i think it will work.

sdsdv10
10-13-2008, 04:38 PM
http://images.builderssquare.com/Detail/0/7/36/7036902_Detail.jpg

Flow is going to depend on how strong you are.

Thanks, that one made me laugh...:ROTF::rofl:

T_Flight
10-13-2008, 05:03 PM
WTC :(:(:( We lost a good freind that was one of the Flight Attendants in one of those planes.

IanY
10-13-2008, 05:19 PM
WTC :(:(:( We lost a good freind that was one of the Flight Attendants in one of those planes.

I'm so sorry. Are you with AA or UAL? My perspective was on the ground high up on Two WTC. I lost five personal friends and 24 colleagues. I nearly left behind a young wife with a young son. All it took was an extra 15 minutes and I would have been crushed to death.

Lloyd
10-13-2008, 05:39 PM
will that rad (GTX480) be enough cooling power for all that? 3x 280GTXs, CPU and NB?

Utnorris
10-13-2008, 05:42 PM
THANK YOU. Now thats the kinda answer I was hoping for. I think there will be barely enough wiggle room next to the gtx that will be there but i think it will work.

Stick with the stock cooling for the SB, you really do not need to cool it with water unless you have to because the heatsink was part of the NB and Mosfet heatsink. Even then I would just put a passive heatsink on it.

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm so sorry. Are you with AA or UAL? My perspective was on the ground high up on Two WTC. I lost five personal friends and 24 colleagues. I nearly left behind a young wife with a young son. All it took was an extra 15 minutes and I would have been crushed to death.

Jesus man. Sorry to hear that. That was one ugly day.

I was working at 110 wallstreet building and to this day still remember the ground shutter a bit as each building fell. Depressing as hell just thinking about it.

bloomstomb
10-13-2008, 05:56 PM
will that rad (GTX480) be enough cooling power for all that? 3x 280GTXs, CPU and NB?

I'll let you know when I find out ;).

jcool
10-13-2008, 06:15 PM
The best pump? Innovatek HPPS+ :p:
Because it works 24/7 flawlessly for years, doesn't cost a lot of money, eats below 5W power, is inaudible on normal setting but can be pushed to 90Hz/~4m output if needed (however, it will then sound like an Iwaki :D )

jcool
10-13-2008, 06:17 PM
I'll let you know when I find out ;).

I just recently build a rig for a customer using this rad, GTX 280 Tri-SLI, SIIE, OCed Quad. 4 Scythe S-Flex 1200 at full speed managed a Delta air <-> water of around 11C under full load (and I mean full... Furmark modded to use all 3 cards + 2 cores on prime, power drain = 870W :D )

IanY
10-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Jesus man. Sorry to hear that. That was one ugly day.

I was working at 110 wallstreet building and to this day still remember the ground shutter a bit as each building fell. Depressing as hell just thinking about it.

82nd floor Two WTC. 110 Wall I know that building. Once upon a time, I worked at 111 Wall across the street. Still with the same company. You know which one. I'm based at 388 Greenwich right now (and also at 399 Park).

bloomstomb
10-14-2008, 02:09 PM
82nd floor Two WTC. 110 Wall I know that building. Once upon a time, I worked at 111 Wall across the street. Still with the same company. You know which one. I'm based at 388 Greenwich right now (and also at 399 Park).

Holy crap? You worked at 111? That is some weird coincidence! You must have hung out at Maggies once in a while, it was right next door to 110. Had some fun times there after work.

To tell you the truth I dont remember what company was at 111. Its been a long time (I was there 1999-2003 or 2004 I think).

Have you ever heard of Walter Bruan? CRAZY mofo. He ran my firm. Then he ran it into the ground, signed a bunch of leases and could'nt afford to pay them. I actualy worked in 112 too for a while, next big next to the 110(at least I think it was 112.. maybe 114?) .

Hung out alot at south street sea port too a good deal of the time.

Man that must have been terrifying being in that building. Glad you made it out. I heard they told people to stay in the building and not panic after the first plane hit. What a day.

bloomstomb
10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
I just recently build a rig for a customer using this rad, GTX 280 Tri-SLI, SIIE, OCed Quad. 4 Scythe S-Flex 1200 at full speed managed a Delta air <-> water of around 11C under full load (and I mean full... Furmark modded to use all 3 cards + 2 cores on prime, power drain = 870W :D )

You mean 480 right? Is it a single loop, and pretty much the same loop as mine?

What is delta air? How did you manage to get the water to 11c full load?

T_Flight
10-14-2008, 03:27 PM

No my father was an Airline Pilot and after the Piedmont merger she got hired on with AA. I don't like really talking about it, because if I said what I could do to those...well, let's just say I want to remain a member here.

I have some arthritis in my knees, but if I could've got into the service even as old as I was I would've went over there to take no prisoners let's put it that way. They won't take people with arthritis, but they could've taken me and my knees would not have stopped me. I'm not immobile.

IanY
10-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Holy crap? You worked at 111? That is some weird coincidence! You must have hung out at Maggies once in a while, it was right next door to 110. Had some fun times there after work.

To tell you the truth I dont remember what company was at 111. Its been a long time (I was there 1999-2003 or 2004 I think).

Have you ever heard of Walter Bruan? CRAZY mofo. He ran my firm. Then he ran it into the ground, signed a bunch of leases and could'nt afford to pay them. I actualy worked in 112 too for a while, next big next to the 110(at least I think it was 112.. maybe 114?) .

Hung out alot at south street sea port too a good deal of the time.

Man that must have been terrifying being in that building. Glad you made it out. I heard they told people to stay in the building and not panic after the first plane hit. What a day.

Buddy,

Thanks. The noise of the plane hitting 45 floors above me, while I was in the stairwell (at the lower Morgan Stanley floors), sounded like the thunder clap of a very angry God. It genuinely sounded like the end of the world, and if a plane had not hit earlier, the first impulse would have been "earthquake." I'm sure quite a few pants were moistened a little.

111, 388 and 399 are noted building numbers for the big evil "C" :p: As in Vikram Pandit and the ugly $28 billion CDO writedown, as in the 55,000 layoff in the NYC area alone, as in the most mismanaged outfit by the most incompetent bunch of bozos.

Yes, I have heard about Walter Braun. He's got quite a reputation indeed. A loose cannon.

I liked the Seaport, and I like Maggies as well.

bloomstomb
10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Buddy,

Thanks. The noise of the plane hitting 45 floors above me, while I was in the stairwell (at the lower Morgan Stanley floors), sounded like the thunder clap of a very angry God. It genuinely sounded like the end of the world, and if a plane had not hit earlier, the first impulse would have been "earthquake." I'm sure quite a few pants were moistened a little.

111, 388 and 399 are noted building numbers for the big evil "C" :p: As in Vikram Pandit and the ugly $28 billion CDO writedown, as in the 55,000 layoff in the NYC area alone, as in the most mismanaged outfit by the most incompetent bunch of bozos.

Yes, I have heard about Walter Braun. He's got quite a reputation indeed. A loose cannon.

I liked the Seaport, and I like Maggies as well.

Ahh citigroup . Man I remember it now!

Yeah it irritates me just to think about all the layoffs around the city, and in the country and around the world for that matter.
CEO's played the CDS game for a few extra cents in earnings, and many good people lost their jobs.

There is a 50 trillion dollar cds market, unregulated and hidden, and the deeper people dig, the more they wish they hadnt ever looked. My opinion is pumping 850billion into this thing is laughable. A (unedjucated)guess of a adequate rescue bill would be around 5 trillion dollars. Just my opinion so don't go running to the banks now. lol

But truth be told citigroup is fairing better off than so many other companies out there, at least so far. The amount of layoffs from this financial disaster is staggering and sad, and we have not even begun feeling its effects on the gdp.

I have to laugh and cry at the same time when I hear these politicians explain how they are doing all this governement intervention to "avoid a recession" . Its like a doctor telling a terminally ill patient that the treatement he is recieving is so he won't catch a cold, the treatement being a cough drop.

And like I said bud, glad you got out in one piece. I would have sh*t my pants if I heard that plane crash above me. Literaly. :shakes:

jcool
10-15-2008, 03:01 AM
You mean 480 right? Is it a single loop, and pretty much the same loop as mine?

What is delta air? How did you manage to get the water to 11c full load?

Maybe you should try and read some more on the basics of watercooling before building such a monster setup m8 :)

DeltaT = temeprature difference (in this case: between air and water).

By saying that I achieved a DeltaT of 11C with this setup, I mean that if I got an ambient temp of, say, 20C, I got a water temp of 31C fully loaded. :up:

Eddie3dfx
10-15-2008, 03:33 AM
The best pump? Innovatek HPPS+ :p:
Because it works 24/7 flawlessly for years, doesn't cost a lot of money, eats below 5W power, is inaudible on normal setting but can be pushed to 90Hz/~4m output if needed (however, it will then sound like an Iwaki :D )

Hmm.. 90hz? Wow, mine only goes up to 72hz tops.
Yes, it is a silent pump and I love it. I also have the D5, which I think is the best watercooling pump.

FrogBite
10-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Get some huge eheim pump if flow is all you are looking for.

jcool
10-15-2008, 06:55 AM
Hmm.. 90hz? Wow, mine only goes up to 72hz tops.
Yes, it is a silent pump and I love it. I also have the D5, which I think is the best watercooling pump.

Set it to auto mode (on - on for J1/J2) ;)
There it will ramp up to ~90-95Hz depending on your loop, and really cause some damage. But, the noise really is terrible :D
For 24/7 I wouldn't go past the "power mode" (which is 72Hz I think)

Get some huge eheim pump if flow is all you are looking for.

Damn right ;)
I got an Eheim 1262 for a friend's birthday. 3400l/h and eats 80W :shocked:
He is using it for his 2500l whirlpool :D

bloomstomb
10-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Maybe you should try and read some more on the basics of watercooling before building such a monster setup m8 :)

DeltaT = temeprature difference (in this case: between air and water).

By saying that I achieved a DeltaT of 11C with this setup, I mean that if I got an ambient temp of, say, 20C, I got a water temp of 31C fully loaded. :up:

Thanks m8. Well , DONE! Just read your post and have begun my quest in learning the basics.

Could you please clarify (when you get a chance) if you meant the 480? Did you use the same rad as me? If so do you think the loop I am doing is going to work?

jcool
10-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Yes, I did use a GTX 480 with 4 Scythe S-Flex 1200 fans.
Rest of the loop was a Q9550@3,8Ghz, S2E mobo with Fuzion block under water, 3 GTX 280 cards using Watercool full cover blocks and a Tri-SLI connector (which enables the water to flow simultaneously through all 3 cards at the same time) and a HDD box.
That rad has pretty beastly cooling capacities, like I said power drain was at 860W peak, and almost all of it dumped directly into the water.

I wouldn't recommend using the S-Flex fans on it though, they made a kind of strange airflow noise on that rad. Better to go with some Yate Loons, San Ace if you can get it, or Noctua P12 for best noise/performance ratio.