PDA

View Full Version : Calling the A Team

RAYTTK
10-12-2008, 02:11 PM
After weeks of reading GTL guides and various forum threads about them Im still not getting anywhere with them on my Blackops Ocing adventures , The best results i get are with them on default.
The Blackops has been designed with one thing in mind OVERCLOCKING so Im asking the FOXCONN A-TEAM to go the extra mile and give us some real life examples of Ocing a QuadCore & core2duo with a very detailed guide to VTT, CPU GTL Ref's & NB GTL Ref's.
No Other motherboard manufacturers Give detailed info on this subject for fear of being sued I think.
Please Sascha do the guide & just include a disclaimer.

saaya
10-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Its not about beeing sued, its damn time consuming, and there are several guides and a lot of example configurations people posted on the forums already...
What VTT are you using?
start with the GTL settings for core0 and core1 and increase or decrease them step by step and check stability with memtest 86+
After you found a good spot for them, try each one individually and see if one of them likes a higher or lower setting.
then do the same for core2 and core3.
then bump up the fsb and check again to be sure those settings really work the best.

dont expect wonders, this is just fine tuning to need less vtt or vcore, or get a 10mhz higher fsb.
some cpus dont give you any boost at all.

Does this help? :D

RAYTTK
10-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the reply Sascha, I have tried all of the above over and over every night man for the last 3 months so I know what you mean about time consuming. The settings working for other people Dont work for me on my black ops yet I have put this QX6850 into my old Gigabyte p35 and get over 4GHZ no problem.:up: 3.6 is the highest stable speed on blackops. Alot of people dont know why putting the gtl +10 works for them so It would just be really good to see an expert put together a detailed guide for this board.
I know you guys are busy with all the new stuff but when I bought this black ops I bought the QUANTUM FORCE mission statement aswell:up: But I cant afford to go buying the next board that your making Im just trying to get more from this one.

I love tweaking so dont think im moaning:)

saaya
10-14-2008, 07:42 PM
hmmm your on a qx, so how come you cant get it higher than 3.6?
what about higher multipliers?
are you really cpu clock limited?
that sounds very weird considering the way beefy and very accurate and stable digital pwm... hmmmm
Or you mean you could get a higher fsb stable on the other board?

RAYTTK
10-14-2008, 09:33 PM
If I bring the FSB down to 380 then i can get a stable 3.8 but i take a hit on the memory.
Higher multipliers dont work either @ anything over 3.8 i cant get stable.
Im running 450 fsb x 8 now. On P35 I got 10 x 420 so it seems i cant have 4 ghz on this board without finding the right GTL's

negev
10-15-2008, 03:28 AM
I agree, other than copying other people's results and using trial/error it seems there is no exact science to working this out.

You might up the fsb by 10mhz and get instability, but then there are 63 x 63 x 63 x 63 GTL combinations.

What would be useful is a GTL ref window, i.e. if you could say that for a QX9850 then the GTL refs will always fall somewhere between 8-3-8-8 and 13-9-13-13 for example, then there are a lot less combinations to try. The fact that there are 4 CPU GTL settings makes fine tuning very difficult, as you could spend weeks tweaking them individually without knowing that you need to adjust three of them in certain ways to get stability.

HDCHOPPER
10-15-2008, 11:24 AM
check this out might help you http://www.thetechrepository.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=366&stc=1&d=1169078346

negev
10-15-2008, 12:04 PM
This is interesting:

http://www.blazingpc.com/forum/showthread.php/gtl_voltages_explained-14556/index.html?t=14556

I'm starting to grasp the concept of GTL refs now. The idea is to keep the voltage differential as small as possible (0.4v) in order to minimise ringing (noise?) in the waveform.

RAYTTK
10-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks HDChopper but ive already checked that out & many others, Xello has done some really great posts with the GTL refs & he too has had no luck finding the sweet spots for 4ghz + on water. I have read alot of info & tried to put into practice what ive learned yet the GTL refs nor as many volts as i dare will give me 4ghz. I do lots of multi-tasking so I prefer Quads & I can get 3.8 out of this one but Im seriously thinking of trying an E8500 or E8600 just so I can push the memory to max. How does your chip hold up under stress?

HDCHOPPER
10-15-2008, 12:24 PM
ya eye got kucky on my chip the only thing holding me back is my ram / rams but have had it up to 4.88 and into windows on current cooling but was as stable as my last wife :ROTF:

will be doing dice hopefully this weekend if my pot gets here in time
pretty shure the cpu can do 5.0+ so giong to try a few different rams then in single channel mode probly

the 8400.8500,8600 are all doing great as far as overclocking goes :up:

got a few pent "D's" to tourture too

HDCHOPPER
10-15-2008, 12:26 PM
This is interesting:

http://www.blazingpc.com/forum/showthread.php/gtl_voltages_explained-14556/index.html?t=14556

I'm starting to grasp the concept of GTL refs now. The idea is to keep the voltage differential as small as possible (0.4v) in order to minimise ringing (noise?) in the waveform.
:up: and believe it or not spread spectrum can help sometimes

saaya
10-17-2008, 10:59 PM
If I bring the FSB down to 380 then i can get a stable 3.8 but i take a hit on the memory.
Higher multipliers dont work either @ anything over 3.8 i cant get stable.
Im running 450 fsb x 8 now. On P35 I got 10 x 420 so it seems i cant have 4 ghz on this board without finding the right GTL's

sorry, im confused now...
whats the highest fsb you can run on BO with 10x multiplier?
380? and on the p35 you got 420?
what vtt and gtl ref are you on now?

RAYTTK
10-18-2008, 12:38 AM
380 is the highest at 10x.
P35 was 420 but it wasnt for long time just quick test it was red hot failed prime after test 4 . was just checking max cpu speed.
Vtt has been from low to high with lots of memtest86, burn test, prime and everest currently on 1.200, Gtl default 11 x 340

saaya
10-18-2008, 12:40 AM
so you reached 4200 unstable, and on BO max stable is 3800?
whats max unstable on BO then? should be around 4200 as well then i suppose?

RAYTTK
10-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Will not post on Black ops Past 3.9