PDA

View Full Version : A7V333 , Dismal Performance for a KT333 ?

DJ_Datte
07-28-2002, 03:30 PM
Hello !

I have a problem. I have bought a A7V333 and , well, its mem performance sucks :) I wasnt expecting anything stellar, it was for my secondary system, but , in Sisoft Sandra I am getting like 79 % / 71 % bandwith efficiency, and thats scary low IMHO. up to 159 Bus I am okay, getting on the low side, but still what I am supposed to get, but over 160, Fast Cpu Decode goes offline, and I think thats the reason for my abbysmal performance... so.. anyone know how to keep it on, or can just anyone give me a benchmark of their A7V333 and tell me what score they get at higher FSB's.. I have clocked up to 196 2-2-2-5-1 and its too low, its like 200 MB/sec over the 159 FSB benches...

Please Help ! :)

/Damir, Sweden

shadco
07-28-2002, 04:21 PM
I found the A7V333 to be a total waste of time

Here it is at 190 and I didn't bother to go any higher since my KX7 was killing it

A7V333 @ 190

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddr333/A7V16/sanmem190fsb.gif

KX7 @ 190

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddr333/kx7/kx7190fsb.jpg

Hell my AT7 kills it too @ 190

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddr333/AT7/at7sanmem190.jpg

The Abits will go quite a bit higher but I only showed them at 190 for comparison.

And the A7V333 raid performance ......

Shad

mdzcpa
07-28-2002, 04:28 PM
It's true the A7V333 isn't the leader when it comes to mem bandwidth. However, that aside, the key the A7V333, or any KT333 chipset mobo for that matter, is to get the FSB at least to 166mhz where the 1/5 divisor keeps the AGP and PCI bus in spec. The KT333 was obviously designed in anticipation of the AMD CPU bus going to 166mhz.

So, although you'll break no records with that mobo, you can get decent performance if you crank it up where it should be.

shadco
07-28-2002, 04:36 PM
It's true the A7V333 isn't the leader when it comes to mem bandwidth.

Understatement.

Given the features on the board it looks like a Natural OC'er vdimm over 3, vcore over 2 tons o nice built ins

but

They should be ashamed of using the promise lite raid and it will run at relatively high FSB's but is the slowest board I've seen at those speeds.

Not to mention that the jumpers for varying vdimm are totally undocmented as is the CPU overvolt jumper. Use it and you dump 2.1 volts to your CPU unless you know enough to throttle it with a resistor.

One wonders why they even bother putting those features on the board.

Oh yeah how do you like them Asus degres?

Shad

mdzcpa
07-28-2002, 04:47 PM
Shadco,

I'm just giving the guy some constructive assistance versus telling him to get another mobo in so many words. Sometimes users want to know what they can do to improve what they already have:)

Bulldog
07-28-2002, 05:39 PM
Shadco could not be any more correct...I bought 2 av7333 and have dumped both of them...there is a 70+ page sticky at amdmb doveted to them CPU error, ram error, rotten stinky raid,poor memory with exact same ram and fsb ,higher temps jumpers that as shadco says will fry not only your cpu but ram, jumpers on boards bought same day from same outlet set different ,wrong manual included most d/l correct one,bio's flash per asus was frying mobo's..................IMO a factory defect in 6 out 10...poor rma and support the list of errors goes on and on....probably will be all corrected in kt400 but as of now...:finger:

DJ_Datte
07-28-2002, 11:59 PM
hihihihi ! Yea, you can just feeeel the love flowing around here ,-)

Yeah, it seems a couple of things went wrong on this design, they prolly have summer interns to cut cost for manufacturing and they dont really know what QC is :) as I said, I'll be using this prolly as a secondary and slapping my best ram (seems to do about 190 at 2-2-2-5-1 ) and other stuff into a abit, or whatever is available when I get back from my vacation :)

Thanks for the input guys, you confirmed what I suspected :)

Laters ! :)

/Damir