PDA

View Full Version : You just can't have it all.

Soulburner
10-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Some people expect too much. Here is an example I found today.

Hey all, n00b here, not a pro photographer or even a junkie. I'm just trying to decide between four consumer-level point-and-shoot cameras:

* Canon PowerShot G9
* Canon PowerShot G10
* Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5
* Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

Since I'm not a pro, I don't give a hoot about having a place to mount an external flash or lens, or "RAW" mode, or excess manual controls, or any of that. All I care is that:

(1) It has the classic "Rangefinder" look
(2) It's compact, or very close to it -- no wooly mammoth dSLR cameras
(3) It takes very high-quality images, at all light levels and all zoom ranges
(4) It takes very high-quality movies with VERY high-quality audio

Please, no suggestions of other makes or models -- I'm only interested in the four mentioned above.

Thanks!
I'm sorry but you're going to have to lower your expectations back down to 2008 Earth levels. What you are asking here is just simply impossible and highly unrealistic.

itznfb
10-10-2008, 03:54 PM
why is it so unrealistic? i don't know what a "range finder" look means but have you ever used the PowerShot SD870 IS? pretty much has it all.

[XC] Lead Head
10-10-2008, 04:18 PM
A camera the size of a rangefinder is something very thin, like your typical point and shoot that you can stuff in your pocket

Personally for what hes asking, I think a PowerShot S5 would work quite well, but that is a lot bigger then what hes looking for

Soulburner
10-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Read his 4 requirements - then read the comment "Please, no suggestions of other makes or models -- I'm only interested in the four mentioned above."

I just thought it was a little closed-minded for what he was needing from a camera. NONE of the cameras he is looking at takes "very high-quality images, at all light levels and all zoom ranges". All compacts have soft spots in their zoom range and are very weak in low light shooting ability, due to the small sensors used.

As for #4...It depends on your definition of "VERY high quality images and audio". To me, that is movie studio gear. You just need to lower your expectations a bit. "Good" quality can be had easily from any of those choices.

firebane
10-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Read his 4 requirements - then read the comment "Please, no suggestions of other makes or models -- I'm only interested in the four mentioned above."

I just thought it was a little closed-minded for what he was needing from a camera. NONE of the cameras he is looking at takes "very high-quality images, at all light levels and all zoom ranges". All compacts have soft spots in their zoom range and are very weak in low light shooting ability, due to the small sensors used.

As for #4...It depends on your definition of "VERY high quality images and audio". To me, that is movie studio gear. You just need to lower your expectations a bit. "Good" quality can be had easily from any of those choices.

I beg to differ. The Canon Powershot G series cameras have been some of the best amateur cameras Canon has released. They aren't small by any means but they are a great point and shoot camera with enough flexibility to keep someone busy for a long time.

I had a Canon Powershot G4 and it took awesome pictures.

MaxxxRacer
10-11-2008, 10:58 AM
lol. what a nub.