PDA

View Full Version : Can we have a new Blackops bios please?

negev
10-10-2008, 02:05 PM
How about a bios that actually competes with all the signatures we see of other people using other boards, i.e:

"Asus P5Q DLX 1402 bios - QX9650@4.0ghz 1.25 volts"

"My Q9450 tops out at 3.56GHz @ 1.275v" (Asus P5K Deluxe BIOS 0812 )

How about a Blackops bios that doesn't require insane voltage to reach high clocks? Is that possible? Soooo many reviews of this board complained about not being able to clock as high as other boards, this makes no sense when the Blackops was developed specifically for overclocking. We know this board works and gives results, but why does it need so much voltage?

gmcg
10-10-2008, 02:45 PM
How about a bios that actually competes with all the signatures we see of other people using other boards, i.e:

How about a Blackops bios that doesn't require insane voltage to reach high clocks? Is that possible? Soooo many reviews of this board complained about not being able to clock as high as other boards, this makes no sense when the Blackops was developed specifically for overclocking. We know this board works and gives results, but why does it need so much voltage?

Several possibilities:
1. The voltage reading is incorrect - for example, CPU-Z or Everest can't read it correctly, it means there is some non-standard reading of voltage implemented in the board. Such as for example Aegis panel provides absolutely incorrect CPU termerature result, comparing with Real Temp or Everest, for example, or even to common sense, I wouldn't rely too much on the correct voltage reading as well.
2. The board can be extremely overclokable, we have some serious records ... but maye be again the voltage settings for those records were too high?
3. BTW I have been able to reach 3.8MHz overclocking with basic 1.25V core setting on CPU ... the same result as for 790i actually.

Xello
10-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I think the guy in the other thread is right and you need to take a break from this board for a while...

That guy simply has a better Q9450 than you do, how high a cpu can clock is more to do with the CPU than the bios of the board. My QX9650 won't go over 4ghz prime stable while there are people on here going 4.3/4.4ghz stable with alot less volts than i need for 4ghz (on this same board)

To quote Raja, "Good QX9650's will hit 4GHz with around 1.29V.." So am i bummed? Sure, but i'm happy with what i've got and it's not the board's fault :)

negev
10-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I can't take a break from anything. But anyway, i have heard a lot of people say they couldn't get over 3.2ghz or whatever with this board but can reach 3.6/3.8/whatever with others. Makes me wonder how my 9450 would fare in another board.

Gendo
10-10-2008, 04:10 PM
E8600 @4500Mhz 1.34v prime stable. What do you mean high voltage? It's even stable at lower voltage than my maximus 2 formula was. It may just be your cpu that sucks donkeyballs?

HDCHOPPER
10-10-2008, 05:02 PM
it's all about cpu's to fun ratio

eye went through 5 E8400 before finding this one ( lucky for me my bro has a comp shop & lets me play in it :D)

Xello
10-10-2008, 05:08 PM
eye went through 5 E8400 before finding this one ( lucky for me my bro has a comp shop & lets me play in it :D)

Not fair :frag:

Sailindawg
10-11-2008, 06:36 AM
Finding that golden cpu that does very high FSB on minimal voltage is a total crap shoot. Unless you own a pc shop and hand test each cpu and cherry pick the best, you are at the whim of a lottery draw. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of cash trying to get that golden cpu. Some people buy a cpu, then EBay it immediately if it doesn't give them what they want.

When I first started overclocking ~8 years ago, cpu's where very expensive and OC'ing was a way to purchase a low price cpu and make it run faster than it's higher clocked, more expensive cousins. Now, it's a total drag race. People are buying $1000 cpu's to see how fast they can be clocked.

For me, the best money spent is for a motherboard that has tons of options that will allow one to run RAM and cpu at it's fastest / most efficient / stablest speeds. I don't always get the world record clocks, but I manage to get the most performance out of the gear I can afford. In my current situation, my Q6600 can hit a 800 MHz OC with 1.28V, CPU VID = 1.2625. It needs about .05V to hit 63 MHz FSB more. Not bad. Not a golden cpu, but I'm amazed at the speed at such low volts. I'm working on taking it higher, but for now I have my 24/7 clocks set and the pc performs very well. Maybe one day I'll get lucky and order the golden cpu from an etailer.

Overclocking can be a tread mill of purchase after purchase just to get those last few final Mhz of perceived performance. After a while, you have to ask if it's worth it? Enjoy your current clocks!! and have some fun!

RAYTTK
10-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Negev, I had a Q9450 & I had some lame results overclocking it on this board. I sold it on ebay because i was so frustrated. I even lost some money on it but it didnt bother me because i new it was a :banana::banana::banana::banana: chip. I had an E6600 & 2 Q6600 that were far more rewarding in the overclocking department and now ive got a 2nd hand QX6850 lifes much better, running @3.75ghz atm

HDCHOPPER
10-11-2008, 10:01 AM
lucky dogg RAYTTK unlocked multi's have got to be sooooo much fun !

saaya
10-12-2008, 10:01 PM
When I first started overclocking ~8 years ago, cpu's where very expensive and OC'ing was a way to purchase a low price cpu and make it run faster than it's higher clocked, more expensive cousins. Now, it's a total drag race. People are buying $1000 cpu's to see how fast they can be clocked.the good old times... back then overclocking still had this underground feeling to it, most people wouldnt even know what it is, and once you dived into the scene, you know everybody after just a couple of months, cause the scene was so small then :lol:

Overclocking can be a tread mill of purchase after purchase just to get those last few final Mhz of perceived performance. After a while, you have to ask if it's worth it? Enjoy your current clocks!! and have some fun!
yeah... but then again, dont forget the fun it is to oc a new cpu... even if it doesnt give you a notable boost that would justify the overclock... its so much fun! :D i used to hold back my money saying... naaahhh its not worth it... nahhh only 200mhz more... but then i finally went for it and it was loads of fun... and the cpu actually clocked worse than my previous cpu which was 6 months old :lol:

but it clocked completely different, needed less vcore and clocked memory better (a64) so... idk... i ended up buying a new cpu every weekend, and then either selling that one or selling the previous one... :D

Sailindawg
10-13-2008, 04:07 AM
but then again, dont forget the fun it is to oc a new cpu

Yep!! I do understand that one! I remember getting my locked Barton core playing with that one, then the unlocked 2600's came out. Same Barton core, but unlocked multi's because it was a mobile chip. Ran fine in my NF2 board and only cost $90 new :D I also got a couple more Mhz out of the chip as well. It ran around 2600 MHz vs 2400 MHz for the locked Barton. Unfortunately, I missed the boat on the BH5 RAM & TCCD5 RAM for these chips. The good ole days!!

Once Nahalem comes out, I'm hoping for some sweet deals on the 45 nm chips. New toys, new toys.......

saaya
10-13-2008, 06:14 PM

i dont think it does...
i havent checked again lately, but most boards tend to overvolt .1v easily. that plus cpuz and other tools tend to read vcore wrong on the BO and Mars so... i think its just that... and some people have awesome cpus that clock amazingly with low vcore... and most people use asus and gigabyte boards so... the people with sweet overclocks tend to have them on asus and gigiabyte boards.

I can't take a break from anything. But anyway, i have heard a lot of people say they couldn't get over 3.2ghz or whatever with this board but can reach 3.6/3.8/whatever with others. Makes me wonder how my 9450 would fare in another board.
other boards are easier to adjust and find the sweet spot, thats def a weakness of the BO... but i dont think youll get a higher CPU clock on another board... but give it a try if you feel you must...