PDA

View Full Version : a problem when there is a CD in my CD-RW

kimohw
10-10-2008, 12:05 PM
there is a problem I noticed, that if there is a CD (any CD) in my CD-RW, the first boot screen hangs which shows your cpu info and I have to reset from the case. my cd-rw is an old samsung 52x32x52. only happens when there is a CD any CD.

I'm using foxconn mars

HDCHOPPER
10-10-2008, 12:08 PM
my MARS doesnt do that .. also have an old msi cd-rw and a new sata dvd-rw and have had a disc in both when rebooting no problum
try another cd-rw maybe it might be the unit

Xello
10-10-2008, 01:03 PM
What happens if instead of resetting, you eject the cd rom?

kimohw
10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
the screen freezes, can't do anything, not even ctrl+alt+del works. I have to eject the cd rom and then reset from the case button

BenchZowner
10-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Sounds like a problematic PATA cable ( if you're using a PATA drive ) [ more than likely ], or just an aging drive.
Usually during boot the optical drives spin-up the disc and check if the idx is readable.
That may cause a slow POST or a freeze.

HDCHOPPER
10-10-2008, 01:21 PM
have you checked psu?

Xello
10-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Usually during boot the optical drives spin-up the disc and check if the idx is readable.

Do you know what happens during windows boot? Like when the optical drivers start spinning right after the loading bar has finished and just before the desktop etc loads.

This was causing me problems a while ago, one of my drives when i have a disc in it slows my windows boot to a crawl, and eventually when windows does boot everything is sluggish because of it. If i eject the cd, it's fine...

BenchZowner
10-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Do you know what happens during windows boot? Like when the optical drivers start spinning right after the loading bar has finished and just before the desktop etc loads.

This was causing me problems a while ago, one of my drives when i have a disc in it slows my windows boot to a crawl, and eventually when windows does boot everything is sluggish because of it. If i eject the cd, it's fine...

Not everything is documented, and to be honest I don't know or remember everything :p:
During loading, Windows more than likely accesses the drives ( including the optical drives ) to pre-load the "necessary" info to display the contents of the My Computer "folder" correctly ( if you have a CD/DVD with AutoRun adjust the icons accordingly, etc ).
I'm not really sure about that though.
One thing's for sure, they do access the optical drives and check at least if there's a disc loaded.

Another thing that can slow down your boot process is DHCP.
If you have network adapters with automatic IP acquisition they do slow down the boot process ( compared to the same system & setup with the network adapters configured manually ).

kimohw
10-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I tried to put the Motherboard CD and the motherboard booted fine and I did couple restarts without freezing.

But if I put back my other cd rom BenQ, it freezes

update: will try to get a new dvd-rw and see if it fix the problem

saaya
10-12-2008, 09:32 PM
i suck at networking, so idk how, but in my old apartment my roomate set up the router for all of us and the boot speeds improved so much...
and as soon as windos finished loading the network was already there... windows finished loading, you hit firefox and wham, theres google... damn i loved that :D

kimohw, try to change the master/slave jumper? wouldnt know why it helps, if it does, but its so easy to do, you might as well try it :lol:
does the drive work fine in windows? can you read everything fine or does it have problems reading some cds or hangs etc?

edit: could it be that the drive is set as boot device in the BOOT menu for some reason?
so if you insert a cd it tried to boot from the cd, but it doesnt work cause the cds are not bootable?
does the drive spin when you boot with a cd inside?

kimohw
10-12-2008, 10:33 PM
i suck at networking, so idk how, but in my old apartment my roomate set up the router for all of us and the boot speeds improved so much...
and as soon as windos finished loading the network was already there... windows finished loading, you hit firefox and wham, theres google... damn i loved that :D

kimohw, try to change the master/slave jumper? wouldnt know why it helps, if it does, but its so easy to do, you might as well try it :lol:
does the drive work fine in windows? can you read everything fine or does it have problems reading some cds or hangs etc?

edit: could it be that the drive is set as boot device in the BOOT menu for some reason?
so if you insert a cd it tried to boot from the cd, but it doesnt work cause the cds are not bootable?
does the drive spin when you boot with a cd inside?

Yes, the drive works fine in windows, I can read everything fine. I even installed windows XP from it.
First boot device is setting to HDD and yes the driver spin before it hangs on the first boot screen. I think it is maybe compatibility between the mars and my cd-rw driver, never had this issue before

saaya
10-13-2008, 09:57 PM
well it could be two things, the bios, or the Jmicron chip that provides the IDE interface...
there are many known compatibility issues between all the IDE chips that are used nowadays to provide IDE slots and IDE drives...
Basically there is no more IDE, there is just SATA... since this was quite an agressive move from the chipset makers mainboard makers use chips like the jmicron one we use, to create an IDE interface to the chipset...

ill check if there is anything we can do...
Ill email the bios engineer and will let you know as soon as i get a reply :toast:

saaya
10-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi Glentorman,

Welcome to the QuantumForce section :toast: