PDA

View Full Version : Edge of Madness? e6750 air torture

rydberg666
10-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Hello all!

Warning, lots of yadayada in top, data at the bottom. ;)

First of all, i am new at this OC thing, BUT, i am perfectly capable of reading/researching/understanding things. :)
Have been fiddling with computers since ZX Spectrum, heh, dear old rubberkeyed speccy.

Anyhow, felt the urge to try out OCing since that is one of the few things i didnt try yet, well, with computers that is...
For the last couple of weeks ive been reading up like a madman any chance i got, fingers itching more and more every day.
Found some nice used parts from some neat Swedish OC sites, so about 450 Euros later it was alive!

First cpu i put in was a a Celeron 420 @ 1.6Ghz, hehe, didnt take all that long to push over 3Ghz, a proud moment for me, my first OC.
ran off to that same swedish OC forum, shared my joy, to be met by both "Validation? Oo" and grats for my OC.
Weird that, i do this for my own amusement, and to learn, not to prove anything. (Perhaps to myself)
Dug up the screens, posted them, heard no more from the validation guy, really strange....

Is this common for the OC communities?
Well nevermind, people around here seem nice from what i have read so far. :)

The thing i wonder over is this, is going above 3,88 on air for my e6750 on the edge of madness?
What are the real "risks" in pushing furher, not for 24/7, but for a, say 24hour Orthos run or eq.
Got one advice from a respected swedish person to push for 1.6 - 1.65 on "good" air.
He was running on TRUE with Delta fans, dont know how much diff. it is from my Tuniq.

I never felt like temps where the problem, at least not if i stay away from IntelBurn. :)
Temps after 24 Orthos with below settings showed a max of 60c but normally stayed at 56-58 according to realtemp.

The one time i tried for fun at FSB 500 i ended up with some funny Bios Checksum error after C1/54/75 issues.

Settings below.

Quantum Bios

--------------------------------------------------------------
CPU clock ratio: 8
Target CPU speed: 3882
CPU Clock (FSB): 485
CPU clock vs Mem Speed: 1:2
CPU Clock skew Control: 300
CPU Clock Amplitude Ctrl: 800
PCI Express Clock: 100
PCI Clock: 33.6
Spread Spectrum: Disabled
Oc Rec: Enabled

CPU
---------------------------------------------------------------
EIST: Disabled
C1E: Disabled
Frequency Unlimit: Disabled

Voltage
----------------------------------------------------------------
CPU Voltage multiplier: 1.075
CPU Voltage Setting: 1.520
CPU Vdroop compensation: Enabled

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.50886
CPU VTT Voltage: 1.425
CPU GTL Ref 0 voltage: +2
CPU GTL Ref 1 voltage: Auto
CPU GTL Ref 2 voltage: Auto
CPU GTL Ref 3 voltage: Auto
NB Voltage: 1.673
NB GTL Ref voltage: +1

DRAM Voltage Setting: 1.725
DRAM Pull-Up voltage: Default
DRAM Pull-Down voltage: Default
DRAM Ref Voltage: Default

Any ideas to bump me over 4ghz?
It is such a wonderful number, yummie....
If some settings are completely f&%#ed up, please let me know.

At the moment i went downwards, trying to find a more "mature" OC with "normal" voltages and so on.
Worked better for my nerves.
I do have a feeling, like an itch, that it can do more, that it MUST do more.
Am i just beeing a chicken?

Hmm, my wife now started to refer to me as the Mad Scientist.

Heh, anyhow, thanks for reading, and for doing all the crazy stuff people do around here!

Regards
Johan

saaya
10-08-2008, 06:26 AM
hmmmm thats pretty hot alright, you might be able to do 4ghz full stable and safe with the TRUE or water, but it seems the tuniq cant keep up with the heat.
60 Load is quite a lot... its ok, but i wouldnt push higher if i were you. then again, you might actually try and see IF and WHEN the cpu degrades, and once it does, get a 8600 which gets you above 4ghz on air and performs better at the same clocks :D

would be an interesting experiment! :toast:

HDCHOPPER
10-08-2008, 09:26 AM
ya the itch HAS to be scratched :D

anything near or at dam shure ubove 1.6 volts cpu is flirting with death (cpu)
unless ya get cold on it
it's all down to trying everything and mix it up you must scratch itches muhhahahahahahaahaa

you have the best board to get the job done cooling is the answer
then you can throw the voltage around fairly safely :D

5.0 now is the grail = dice or phase or pelting :up:
but phase is the way to go before you spend a year trying everything else add all money spent playing and most overclockers could of bought a phase unit if done it from the git go
but thiers a lot of fun learning in playing :D

saaya
10-08-2008, 08:23 PM
so johan... what do you say... how about an experiment to kill that E6750? :D
im really curious at what vcore/temp and after how much time it actually dies :D

rydberg666
10-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Good morning all!

Well, i faced my fears, itched the itch, and TADA, nothing, nada, zip.

Whatever i do, i cannot get it stable for anything else than 1Mspi above 485FSB.

Vcore up to 1.65, still reads 1.55ish when working.
Vdroop comp my %¤#"?!

Sure Saaya, ill fry it for you, even deep fry it and giftrap it with little pink ribbons, as long as you have a decent replacement to donate. :rofl:

Dont wanna get stuck running my celeron until finances looks better.

Bleh, bad taste in my mouth.

Regards
Johan

saaya
10-08-2008, 10:46 PM
i guess its tempratures holding you back then... either that, or the chips is fsb limited? whats the max fsb with the 6x multiplier? :D
what if you decrease the fanspeed to get high temps at lower clocks? can you check if the cpu maxes out at about the same temp at lower clocks too?

about a replacement... if you blow it, ill see what i can do :D
cant promise you anything, but dont worry... if that happens i will find something :D

rydberg666
10-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Oy!

Managed to run 490 fsb OCCT for one hour before it bugged out yesterday.
However, just looking at IBurn, ie custom 75Mb equals instant freeze.

Read up a little about calibrating realtemp in a civilized manner, will do that as soon as possible.

Have tried before lowering multi, still refuses to POST @ 495+, even at 1:2 RAM.

Could VTT/GTL Ref have anything to do with those last Mhz?
Think i need to do some more reading/comprehending on that matter.

Anyhow, i will run some tests at lower speeds with higher heat after work and see.

Like your idea about the experiment.
What did you have in mind?
Slow cruel, inhuman torture ála nonstop Orthos, fast brutal IBurn death?
Of course i dont mean with ridicoulus settings, just the "normal" ones... :D

Greetings from a cold, wet, grey and windy Sweden
Johan

rgkpt
10-09-2008, 12:29 AM
i need Foxconn but i dont find :(

saaya
10-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Oy!
Managed to run 490 fsb OCCT for one hour before it bugged out yesterday.
However, just looking at IBurn, ie custom 75Mb equals instant freeze.

Read up a little about calibrating realtemp in a civilized manner, will do that as soon as possible.

Have tried before lowering multi, still refuses to POST @ 495+, even at 1:2 RAM.

Could VTT/GTL Ref have anything to do with those last Mhz?
Think i need to do some more reading/comprehending on that matter.

Anyhow, i will run some tests at lower speeds with higher heat after work and see.

Like your idea about the experiment.
What did you have in mind?
Slow cruel, inhuman torture ála nonstop Orthos, fast brutal IBurn death?
Of course i dont mean with ridicoulus settings, just the "normal" ones... :D

Greetings from a cold, wet, grey and windy Sweden
Johan
ok, so the fsb seems to be the limit there... what you need to do is bump up VTT, the fsb interface voltage, and try if more PLL voltage helps too, and play with the cpu gtl settings. the priority is in that order, vtt will most likely help and give a notable boost, pll less if any, and gtl the same.

for vtt id say stay below 1.6v, i ran 1.5v for E6750s at cellshock for months without any issues, im sure 1.6v is fine as well since these are 65nm chips. for pll voltage i ran 1.9v and it gave a slight boost of 5-10mhz fsb.

Hope this helps! :toast:

regarding experiment.. well im basically trying to take your fear of frying the cpu away, so you kep bumping up volts and see how high you can get without having to worry about killing the chip :D
plus im curious when, IF at all, the chip will suddenly degrade or die at a certain voltage. i highly doubt it and think most people are much too worried about high volts. if you bump them up step by step you can "feel" if the chip likes it or not. if it doesnt help or the chip clocks worse or acts funny, it doesnt like it, then dont force the volts higher or keep the same but reduce it back to before... :)

i need Foxconn but i dont find :(
hey man! what exactly are you looking for, and where are you from? :)

HDCHOPPER
10-09-2008, 07:32 AM
rgkpt is the one badmouthing the BO bios :rofl:

saaya
10-12-2008, 08:43 PM
im not sure, maybe he meant that the liked the bios?
he didnt reply, so please give him the benefit of the doubt, he might be a nice guy who just doesnt speak english very well :)

rydberg666
10-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Well good morning to you all!

Thought i would share a small update after the weekend.

After Saayas tips i managed 500FSB. :)

So i reached my 4Ghz after all, only stable for a 1M Pi run but what the hell!

At least i saw my magic number, haha.

More interesting, i managed to get a rockstable 3,922 clock, with less vcore than i used before for 3,880 stable. :confused:

Board seems to drop more vcore when i use f.ex 1.075 * 1.56, then when i only use 1.6. No idea why.

During some of my runs realtemp stayed around 74-75 degrees, was running IBurn full load.
Interesting with that is that i now know that the crashes before at 62-64 wasnt a result of the heat.

The heatissue however made me start to think about getting watercooling. :)
So now i need to decide what to wish for my birthday, a 4870 or this kit from chille pc. http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=105&products_id=400

Kit looks good? Tips, ideas?
Will it be able to handle nb+gpu if i would wish later on?

Choices, choices....

Have a small fear i will get boored with overclocking since i cant afford to get new stuff all the time to play with. :/

With that in mind a 4870 might be a better option, since i do ilke gaming once in a while.

Hehe, borrowed a P4 from work, going to put it to the torture soon. :D
And who knows, maybe the Celeron from hell will reappear some day to be wrestled with all the new craziness i picked up since last.

Regards
Johan

HDCHOPPER
10-13-2008, 10:51 AM
good looking kit ! but if ya plan on adding nb & gpu later may as well get the bigger rad
you can never get bored "trying " to clock the blackOps :D

gameing is fun but playing benchmarks is where it's at for me :up:
you can never have the "best" vid card for long before a new one comes out & thier cost is crazy !! eye wait till the last "best" card is 2 yers old and pick em up for cheap hell thier still a great card but is a rich man's game keeping the best vid card in your system ... but your overclock can allways get better with what ya got :D
and like ya said plop in a processor and clock it's brains out till the magic blue smoke flys never gets dull :D

eye have a few pent D's to play with and really stick the volts to em :D
never ending fun :up:

TheGanG
10-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Rydberg666, BlackOps handles old P4s as well. Find a second hand P4 661, 631 (with a good batch)... push and juice it as much as u want ;) nm air or water on CPU but i advice a second hand junk WC for NB. It's easy to push a chip like that up to 5+GHz for gaming 24/7 he he... It's also a big fun more than gaming :yepp:

Bu it also helps understanding OC stuff without a big nuisance... Accidentally degrading a P4 is not so easy but new 45nm chips!

Fried my 661 twice without cooler accidentally, 3-4 months long 5GHz gaming under wc and later a guy got a wr2 (actually wr1 but not posted) under LN2/Commando...

saaya
10-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Well good morning to you all!

Thought i would share a small update after the weekend.

After Saayas tips i managed 500FSB. :)

So i reached my 4Ghz after all, only stable for a 1M Pi run but what the hell!

At least i saw my magic number, haha.

More interesting, i managed to get a rockstable 3,922 clock, with less vcore than i used before for 3,880 stable. :confused:

Board seems to drop more vcore when i use f.ex 1.075 * 1.56, then when i only use 1.6. No idea why.

During some of my runs realtemp stayed around 74-75 degrees, was running IBurn full load.
Interesting with that is that i now know that the crashes before at 62-64 wasnt a result of the heat.

The heatissue however made me start to think about getting watercooling. :)
So now i need to decide what to wish for my birthday, a 4870 or this kit from chille pc. http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=105&products_id=400

Kit looks good? Tips, ideas?
Will it be able to handle nb+gpu if i would wish later on?

Choices, choices....

Have a small fear i will get boored with overclocking since i cant afford to get new stuff all the time to play with. :/

With that in mind a 4870 might be a better option, since i do ilke gaming once in a while.

Hehe, borrowed a P4 from work, going to put it to the torture soon. :D
And who knows, maybe the Celeron from hell will reappear some day to be wrestled with all the new craziness i picked up since last.

Regards
Johan

oooOOOoOoOhh really? cool! :D
congrats man! :toast:
so what was holding you back then?
almost 4g stable, nice!!! :D

that watercooling kit is good, really good stuff, and the price is good too, cant complain! but id recommend you to get some anti corrosion water additive or check if that additive prevents corrosion like the koolance one.

and id recommend you to go h20, its an invement in the future johan.
you will be using this on many different pcs, trust me... :D
h20 is so much fun... if you want you can set it up to be silent, or you can set it up to cool quads at huge vcores. i think that setup is good enough to even throw in a vga once tou got a hot one :D

and i keep saying this but i cant say it enough:
NEVER buy a videocard because you MIGHT play games in the future!
if you want to play a certain game NOW and your current vga is too weak, then buy a new one NOW. i made the mistake so many times and kept burning money on high end vgas and never really used them... :D