PDA

View Full Version : Blackops media entertainment system :D

negev
10-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Okay technically you don't need a Blackops to do this, but saaya wanted me to post about this so if I say its a "Blackops entertainment system" then its not completely off-topic :P

Basically I built this a while ago, it's a very simple IR receiver connected to the serial port, and a LOT of programming. It uses an old version of the Girder IR framework, which allows event-based interaction with any remote control.

I wrote a program to go with it which scans your hard drives for media files (music/video) and builds a menu system out of it. You can re-scan your disks at any time by choosing the 'rebuild menus' option.

I've programmed the IR system to interact fully with both Winamp and VLC, so you can do everything i.e. pause, fast forward, change aspect ratio, turn on winamp visualisations etc.

The coolest part of this is, if you leave your pc on downloading overnight, you can wake up in the morning and grab the remote, rebuild the menus and then browse through anything new in your downloads folder :D

Here is a video demo of it working:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EEfhaEFbpQA

It still has a few bugs, its not perfect but mostly it works :D One day this might be on the shelves at your local pc store... I was planning to build it into a little device that you can just plug usb hard drives into. If anyone wants to buy one direct let me know ;)

Of course, you will need to buy a Blackops to make this work ;)

saaya
10-08-2008, 05:26 AM
very nice man! :slobber:
the menu is very basic, but i actually like that... i dont like all those super animated wobbly laggy menus of media center tools :D
winamp plus vlc support... awesome!

how long did it take you to code all that stuff?
if you get this working with usb then ill buy one for sure!

do you think you can add a plugin to support a tv card?
if you can do that, then Tivo is dead :D

Im really surprised nobody actually came up with something like this a long time ago!
it seems everybody is working on something like this, but they all make things way to complicated menu and functionality wise... :D

negev
10-08-2008, 05:29 AM
Sadly I just don't have time to work on it to make it into a sell-able product, too many other projects on the go ;)

It will already work with usb drives, it can be installed on a mini-itx system and if you plug in usb drives it can index the content on them into the menu system. It can index any connected drives :D

One day I will finish it, and it will be networkable so in the menu system you can have a "friends list", and if you add your friends to it then you can watch stuff from their box streamed over the internet... imagine the choice of content when loads of people have that with fast cable :D

Anyone want to sponsor me to finish this? :D

negev
10-08-2008, 05:30 AM
Oh yeah - TV card is easy ;)

saaya
10-08-2008, 06:18 AM
i actually meant making the remote control usb... would be way easier... and you could have the IR sensor directly in the usb stick, so you plug it into the front of the case and its directly connected to the remote :D

network... dunno, i smell lots of bugs and issues there :D
thats more something id think of adding later for version 2.0 :D

negev
10-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Yea there is a usb version of the IR receiver that I used, i just dont have time to work on it so i haven't bothered getting the usb one and figuring it out.

saaya
10-08-2008, 06:38 AM
send it to me and ill help you debug it ^^ hehehe

god, how often do i heard this from people regarding unreleased products :lol:
funny to be the one saying it for once :D

negev
10-08-2008, 06:41 AM
lol ill send you the code so far if you want to have a play around with it, you'll need a compatible IR receiver though. I use IGOR-56, i think its compatible with a few others..

saaya
10-08-2008, 06:43 AM
lol ill send you the code so far if you want to have a play around with it, you'll need a compatible IR receiver though. I use IGOR-56, i think its compatible with a few others..
:nono: see you gotta start working on your sales skills there m8 :D
the right answer would have been:

the super special remote plus IR receiver module you cant buy anywhere else is 99.99$ :D

negev
10-08-2008, 06:44 AM
you got paypal? :D

saaya
10-08-2008, 06:58 AM
i actually do, but i refuse to use that bs again...
ive had simply too many issues with them...
their more than dubious business practices and policies, not to mention the customer support that seems to exist only to annoy and upset you, really drove me mad :D

you pay a fee here, another fee there, and a bonus fee there, and then the money gets booked a week later, finally... to then dissapear for a few weeks, then it finally arrives, but its frozen in the recipients account...
in the end western union costs only slightly more and its safe and your opponent has cash within a few hours...
and if something goes wrong there are actually people you can talk to face to face who will actually even try to help you! :D

negev
10-08-2008, 08:09 AM
well let me know if you wanna play with it :)

HDCHOPPER
10-08-2008, 09:05 AM
exellent work negev !
so ya MUST use BlackOps ?
hahahahahaa ya got father ted hehehehe 1 of my fav's

negev
10-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Yea definitely needs the blackops, couldn't possibly work with anything else.

The blackops COM1 port rules all! :D

saaya
10-08-2008, 06:23 PM
damn, and i planned to use this on the BloodRage... :D
so how about it? send me a pm with the details, what do i need to do to get one? :D

negev
10-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Sent you an email as the instructions are a bit lengthy ;)

saaya
10-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Sent you an email as the instructions are a bit lengthy ;)

cheers m8! :toast:

negev
10-09-2008, 02:18 AM
No problem ;)

*coughcough* FREE X58 *cough*

saaya
10-09-2008, 02:35 AM
hahaha nice try, nice try :D