PDA

View Full Version : Proper placement of water cooling components

Mr 326
10-07-2008, 08:03 PM
After doing some research I see most people feel the reservoir or t line must be placed directly before the pump in a water cooling loop. I was wondering if this was indeed fact or not. To keep my install as clean as possible, I wanted to run my water line from pump to the rad, then into the cpu block, then to the reservoir, then to the gpu, then back into the pump. I was hoping putting the gpu between the res and pump wouldn't cause too big of a problem, what do you think?

IanY
10-07-2008, 08:15 PM
No. Don't do that, please.

Reservoir must always feed the pump. That's the number one rule in plumbing a water cooling loop. The pump must never be starved for water.

The rest is inconsequential. May make a difference, but its not meaningful.

sanhacker
10-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I've tried this in various configurations.
None made a greater than 1 degree centigrade difference.
Single loop, dual loop, multiple radiators, single radiator, etc.
Nothing made a difference to the bottom line.

Bottom line, and to repeat what Ian said, don't worry about it as long as reservoir feeds pump.

evilsponge
10-08-2008, 03:32 AM
Agreed reservoir feeds pump

-sponge

HawaiianSupermn
10-08-2008, 03:49 AM
t-line is a pita. Res prior to pump and if its not a self-primer then make sure gravity feeds it the coolant to start with.
Depending on how badly ur pump adds heat to the loop, placing prior to the rad is a good idea. Some pumps dump more heat than others.
Your config should yield cooler temps early on but if the rig is running for an extended period of time, temps will level out regardless.

I've found the koolance quick disconnects to be invaluable for hooking up a temp ghetto res for filling draining the loop.

Mr 326
10-08-2008, 03:50 AM
Ok, sounds good. I will set it up so the res is directly before the pump. Thanks guys.