PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Sigma DP1?

hoax
10-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey guys, I need some help here.

Just to put things in perspective a bit... I used to work as a professional photographer (about 10 years ago), my last decent camera was a Canon EOS-1N RS. I also had the EOS-A2E and a bunch of nice lenses.. but thats all in the past and I sold it all long ago.

Anyway, nowdays I am a very sad owner of a Canon Powershot SD300. I mean it sure beats having no camera at all, but its a little old and I am looking for something with a bit more options, without having to go back to SLR's.

I don't use a camera a lot nowdays by any means. I just use it to make macro shots of hardware, and sometimes I use it to create textures. I won't be doing portraits or action shots, I would love to just have the best color/image quality I can get. I don't really care about image size at all, quality/color are much more important then the final image size for my needs.

I saw the Sigma DP1 review from www.dpreview.com... and if only it had a macro mode, it would be my new camera, no doubt. But it doesn't, only available option would be using something like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563688-REG/Sigma_AM1900_AML_1_CLOSE_UP_LENS.html

Would that be a stupid idea for making close up shots of hardware? Any recommendations for other cameras I should look at?

Thanks for reading, any help is really appreciated.

MaxxxRacer
10-07-2008, 08:50 PM
wow. I never noticed that camera before. Aft first glance it looks like a nice camera, but after reading the review I wouldnt touch it. Just stick with one of the newer powershots and make sure it has a good macro mode. we use the SD1000's at work and they work pretty good for taken shots of motherboards, so one of the newer models should be perfect

hoax
10-07-2008, 09:23 PM
thanks a lot for the (fast) reply Max :up::up:

that list of cons is just too long isn't it :ROTF:

BUT I just found this:http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092305sigma_dp2.asp

I don't know if I can resist... I wonder how long until it actually shows up on B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=sigma+dp2&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2FRootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=submit

Its great to know the SD1000 is a safe bet, I should probably stick to that instead, but that DP2 seems to have some nice improvements that might make this worth it.

I think one of the customer reviews from B&H says it best: "This camera is really for people with a "first adopter" mindset and not "tried and true."

I might be able to accept that considering how little I use it... I think.... :shrug: :confused:

MaxxxRacer
10-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Considering you wont be using it much, there is even less reason to go with the DP1 or DP2. Its just too much money for so many problems.

jan
10-08-2008, 11:11 AM
you should take a look at the Panasonic Lumix LX3.

it's a very nice camera if you dont need a "big" zoom

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=1237

Soulburner
10-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Canon Powershot S3/S5/SX10.

Nate P.
10-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Canon G9 or G10 anybody? They look like great cameras, and the ability to use DSLR flashes for bouncing!

Soulburner
10-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Nikon Coolpix P5100 has a hotshoe also.

hoax
10-09-2008, 10:22 AM
@Max: thanks for being the voice of reason. As tempted as I am for having a large sensor on a compact camera, I think you managed to convince me its a bad bad idea..

@jan/Soulburner/Nate: I checked out all the suggestions, thanks a lot for the replies! :up:

So far I am leaning towards the g10....closely followed by the LX3... I think the sx10 will be too big, and the p5100 has the worst macro focus range of all the options..

BH is having some loong holidays so I should have plenty of time for some more reading before I place the order. either way they both seem like great options, should be much better then my poor sd300 :p:

thanks again to all for the great suggestions! :toast:

Macadamia
10-19-2008, 01:29 AM
I know this is late... but
Nothing else please. The Sigmas or Panasonic G1. Nothing else.

The Sigmas are currently the top dog in image quality. It has the least megapixels but the best optics by a LONG shot (due to the fixed prime lens, and Sigma is a great prime maker)

And this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/SensorSizes.png/431px-SensorSizes.png

The lowest row is the sensor sizes of the compact cameras. All the non-Sigma compact cameras- LX3, G10, Ricoh GX... use sensors that small, or close to that (<100mm^2). They're noisy, but all use extremely strong noise reduction, reducing detail and such. The Sigmas are one of the rare batch that don't use an optical AA filter, so captures are really sharp.

If you get used to the Sigma (don't use it as a snapshot camera. It doesn't deserve that), ISO 50-200 will give you mindblowing results, even better than all of Sony's low-end DSLRs (a100-a350)!

Here's Seng Merrill's gallery, should give you enough idea how Macro is on the DP1. (Her husband/Richard Merrill- one pioneer of the X3 tech in Sigma cameras, just passed away a few days ago :()

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seng_merrill/page2/

Get the DP2 though. Easier (more natural) focal length, faster processing and quirks are fixed.

As for the Panasonic G1, it's more expensive, and best image quality is slightly worse compared to the DP1, but it's more flexible as well. Consider this if you can pay for Four Thirds/Micro Four Thirds lenses.

hoax
10-19-2008, 11:43 PM
I know this is late... but
Nothing else please. The Sigmas or Panasonic G1. Nothing else.

The Sigmas are currently the top dog in image quality. It has the least megapixels but the best optics by a LONG shot (due to the fixed prime lens, and Sigma is a great prime maker)

And this:

The lowest row is the sensor sizes of the compact cameras. All the non-Sigma compact cameras- LX3, G10, Ricoh GX... use sensors that small, or close to that (<100mm^2). They're noisy, but all use extremely strong noise reduction, reducing detail and such. The Sigmas are one of the rare batch that don't use an optical AA filter, so captures are really sharp.

If you get used to the Sigma (don't use it as a snapshot camera. It doesn't deserve that), ISO 50-200 will give you mindblowing results, even better than all of Sony's low-end DSLRs (a100-a350)!

Here's Seng Merrill's gallery, should give you enough idea how Macro is on the DP1. (Her husband/Richard Merrill- one pioneer of the X3 tech in Sigma cameras, just passed away a few days ago :()

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seng_merrill/page2/

Get the DP2 though. Easier (more natural) focal length, faster processing and quirks are fixed.

As for the Panasonic G1, it's more expensive, and best image quality is slightly worse compared to the DP1, but it's more flexible as well. Consider this if you can pay for Four Thirds/Micro Four Thirds lenses.

heh not late at all..in fact..just in time!! BH comes back online on the 24th.. I keep going between the g10 and the idea of waiting for the DP2..

My sd300 is nearly dead, it likes to record movies while I am on digital macro mode :rolleyes:

I was hoping I could get my hands on a new camera sooner then march 09... maybe I should find a cheap replacement for the sd300 and then wait for the DP2..

I had never seen the gallery you linked to.. I am officially speechless..I mean...those macro shots of the DP1 are just.... :eek2:

really sorry to hear about Richard, may he RIP.

The panasonic looks great too but I don't think I would be able to afford all those lenses. do you happen to know when the DP2 might become available? Only info I can find points to feb/march 2009 :(

thanks a lot for all your help :up::up:

Macadamia
10-20-2008, 05:06 PM
BTW, here's some things you should take note about the DP1 before the decision. ;)

1. http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/order_SigmaDP1_1.html You need to get some diopters and a 46mm-52mm adapter. I don't have the info, but you could post a question at the DPReview Sigma SLR forums and they'll gladly answer.

2. This camera is relatively slow to process images (it captures images fast though). If you've used a camera phone, you should know the feeling. The difference is that you can burst mode shoot and get the best one (although you wait even longer :p:) The DP2 will be quite faster, and what the forums suspect that JPEG mode would be quite a charmer (JPEG on DP1 is nice... until ISO400/800) Hopefully you have 1337, steady hands or a monopod/tripod after all those film SLR gear!

3. One other annoyance would be the lack of JPEG + RAW mode for faster sorting. But hey, it's XS, and you probably have a fast rig lol. Since the images are smaller than most cameras, it's recommended that you shoot in RAW (X3F) mode instead. The newest version of Adobe Camera RAW- 4.6 for Lightroom 2 and PSCS3/4 supports the DP1 images natively.

4. Definitely try Black-and-white. It brings out the 35nm film feeling even more.

The G10 is a marketing camera driven by marketing megapixels. If you want something non-Sigma your best bet would still be the Panasonic Lumix LX3.

hoax
10-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Macadamia, THANK YOU for all your priceless help and info. :up: :clap: :clap:

diopters - check! great link, some really nice accessories that I don't think BH carries and international shipping! :up:

jpeg + raw - don't care, will just buy 2 sd cards, and keep one for each format

My '1337 steady hands' are now a bad case of carpel tunnel but luckily the only 2 things I have left from my old kit = manfroto tripod and monopod.. so check on that one and check on the fast pc. :D

This last days I looked many times at all the other 'cons' listed and I am ready to accept them in name of the foveon.. so go ahead and call me nuts if needed but... I AM DOING IT! :p:

here is my stupid new plan!

Yesterday night after a bit of digging on dspreview I found this: http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/PKNA08/video/video_popup.php?url=wV5yCNLRV6E

CEO from Sigma saying the DP2 will reach retail on feb 2009.

Then today I went out for lunch with my dad and found out he is going to NY in march 2009, and he asked me if I want to go with him!! so for the first time ever, I might actually get to visit BH :shocked: :shocked: (last time I went to NY I was only 14)... I really really should go without a wallet and just look around like a 5 yr kid at toys 'r us :ROTF:

So as stupid as it may sound.. the new plan is... I am ordering the DP1 tomorrow from BH, I figure I will still be able to use all(most) the accessories on the DP2, then I will have a few months to play around with it, and by the time this problems might start to actually bother me, I can just sell it on the local fleabay and get the DP2 in NY. With the crazy prices on electronics that we have here in the end I will lose very little cash if any.

anyway, sorry for all the rambling, I will let you guys know how it goes once it arrives :up::up: