PDA

View Full Version : Q9450 @ 3.4Ghz 425x8 on air - anyone beat this?

negev
10-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Can anyone beat this with a Q9450 on air?

I know this is lame compared to all the QX results, but I think I am right at the limit of what this board can take with the stock nb fan. NB tops out at 62C under load, CPU at 65C. If anyone can beat this on air with a Q9450 would love to know!

My ram is at 8-8-8-22 @ 1700Mhz, 7-7-7-20 causes P95 to fail instantly but as you can see these settings are 24-hours prime stable.

http://www.dontbeshy.net/3.4/3.4-1.jpg

http://www.dontbeshy.net/3.4/3.4-2.jpg

Fungus
10-07-2008, 07:45 AM
A buddy of mine runs his Q9550 @ 440*8.5 on air. It's prime stable, Vcore is 1.24 volts or so. 40 idle, 62 @ load.

Slovnaft
10-07-2008, 07:53 AM
IBT stable? And 1.35v? Seems kinda high for this proc and that clock.
But definitely the highest i've seen for this board. But that's why i dropped it; i'm 20 pass IBT stable at 3.8 with 1.26vCore on 790i ftw(analog), and was 3.95 IBT stable on a p45 board.
I mean, I could barely get over 3.2 on BlackOps with the same Q9450.
I'd be interested to see your BIOS, great job!

negev
10-07-2008, 07:58 AM
A buddy of mine runs his Q9550 @ 440*8.5 on air. It's prime stable, Vcore is 1.24 volts or so. 40 idle, 62 @ load.

Is that on the Blackops or another board? I think this board wasn't really designed for air, the nb just gets too damn hot with the stock fan.

IBT stable? And 1.35v? Seems kinda high for this proc and that clock.
But definitely the highest i've seen for this board. But that's why i dropped it; i'm 20 pass IBT stable at 3.8 with 1.26vCore on 790i ftw(analog), and was 3.95 IBT stable on a p45 board.
I mean, I could barely get over 3.2 on BlackOps with the same Q9450.
I'd be interested to see your BIOS, great job!

I posted the settings here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=194629&page=3

I don't think this board is any less of an overclocker than other boards, i just think it takes longer and more tweaking to get results. As I said above, it's also not really designed for air cooling, the nb needs a lot of voltage and gets really hot so water is really needed for max clocks.

I can probably get my core voltage down a bit, you're right it is a bit high.

Slovnaft
10-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Yeah a bit higher vNB than that is required for high X48 clocks. It might be worth Thermalrighting the board or otherwise WC. 1.6~1.7 is around the area you wanna be for high fsb, and i can see how that would make problems with the stock hs/block.
But I'm convinced it's a bit more than this. Wanna try and see what you get with 1.6, 1.65, even 1.7 really quick? =]

TheGanG
10-07-2008, 08:48 AM
I don't think this board is any less of an overclocker than other boards, i just think it takes longer and more tweaking to get results. As I said above, it's also not really designed for air cooling, the nb needs a lot of voltage and gets really hot so water is really needed for max clocks.

I can probably get my core voltage down a bit, you're right it is a bit high.

This board is a good clocker even for air, just water to NB for further ;) CoreDuo 5,1-5,2 GHz, QX 4,5-4,7 GHz on air easy...

8600: Titan CoolIdol/NB: Water:

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4752/air51ghzci7.jpg

negev
10-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Yeah a bit higher vNB than that is required for high X48 clocks. It might be worth Thermalrighting the board or otherwise WC. 1.6~1.7 is around the area you wanna be for high fsb, and i can see how that would make problems with the stock hs/block.
But I'm convinced it's a bit more than this. Wanna try and see what you get with 1.6, 1.65, even 1.7 really quick? =]

No thanks lol, its already topping out at 62C under load, f*ck pushing that any higher!

negev
10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Hmm, thats a point actually, Saaya I have a question for you, why does the Blackops take so much vNB to get to high fsbs? That seems to have been a major complaint with everyone who's reviewed it and played around with it the way the Americans once played with the metric system (briefly) - they couldn't quickly get to high fsbs as they can with other boards.

We know the blackops is designed with extreme cooling or at least water in mind, but what exactly is the technical reason that the NB needs so much voltage (and thus produces so much heat) to get to high clocks? Is this something to do with the board being designed for xtreme cooling? Would it be theoretically possible to create a bios that's less good for extreme cooling but keeps the NB stable at higher fsbs without needing so much voltage?

saaya
10-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Hmm, thats a point actually, Saaya I have a question for you, why does the Blackops take so much vNB to get to high fsbs? That seems to have been a major complaint with everyone who's reviewed it and played around with it the way the Americans once played with the metric system (briefly) - they couldn't quickly get to high fsbs as they can with other boards.

We know the blackops is designed with extreme cooling or at least water in mind, but what exactly is the technical reason that the NB needs so much voltage (and thus produces so much heat) to get to high clocks? Is this something to do with the board being designed for xtreme cooling? Would it be theoretically possible to create a bios that's less good for extreme cooling but keeps the NB stable at higher fsbs without needing so much voltage?
i played with several boards from asus and gigiabyte based on p35 and x38 and x48 and they all need high nb voltage to reach the max fsb clocks... regarding how much nb voltage for what fsb... i got the same fsb/nb voltage or better on the blackops than p5e3 which i played with before at cellshock...

i dont think the blackops needs more chipset voltage for high clocks, but if thats really the case, then my guess would be that our bios isnt tweaked that well, and with the right tweaks you can get the same clocks stable with less voltages. just like fine tuning gtl voltages on the cpu can get you the same speed stable at slightly lower vtt and vcore, or higher speeds with the same vtt and vcore.

another guess is that the default nb gtl setting for the BO isnt that well tweaked, so higher chipset volts are needed to indirectly push nbgtl into the right level...

TheGanG
10-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Fine tuning of X48 BIOS is the key of a cool OC ;)

saaya
10-08-2008, 07:43 PM
exactly, you can either go brute force and pump up the volts like crazy, or you can figure out what voltage is actually needed and fine tune everything.