PDA

View Full Version : BlackOps + qx9650 ... Which DDR3 2x2gig kit

UNIXgod
10-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm curious what the best "Price/Performance" DDR3 ram is for this combo:

Foxconn BlackOps
Intel QX9650

It was suggested in a thread last month on another board to look into CellShock Ram. I can get this ram shipped from outside the US but I can not find 4Gig kits (i.e. 2x2Gig)

So currently what is the best option for going for higher clocks yet not breaking the bank?

RAYTTK
10-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Well with a Quad your probably gonna be limited to 450- 460 FSB so you could do with a 1800 mhz kit like OCZ 's new Reaper kit, I think they are a good value 2x2gb kit & I was going to get them myself before deciding on the Cellshock, Now im saving for another 2gb blue kit. Cellshock will probably release a 2x2gb 4gb kit just after ive bought my 2nd :yepp:

HDCHOPPER
10-05-2008, 02:55 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193037

NicoOCZ
10-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi there,

you might have a hard time tuning a 4GB kit to do more than 1600MHz with a quad, but I had pretty good results with OCZ3RPR18004GK. They gave me some pretty decent results :)

UNIXgod
10-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Well with a Quad your probably gonna be limited to 450- 460 FSB so you could do with a 1800 mhz kit like OCZ 's new Reaper kit, I think they are a good value 2x2gb kit & I was going to get them myself before deciding on the Cellshock, Now im saving for another 2gb blue kit. Cellshock will probably release a 2x2gb 4gb kit just after ive bought my 2nd :yepp:

Will it limit my OC to run 2 sets of the blue Cellshocks? (i.e. 4x1gig)

Are these the ones:

http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3ram/2gbcellshockpc315000bluemicron.html

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193037

That's where I read about the 2x2gig cellshock. I just can't find them anywhere.

Hi there,

you might have a hard time tuning a 4GB kit to do more than 1600MHz with a quad, but I had pretty good results with OCZ3RPR18004GK. They gave me some pretty decent results :)

I'm actually running some Flex II on an AMD system. I'll keep that kit in consideration. You guys make some nice fast ram. So DDR3 1800 and above is what I should be looking at. Not 1600.

Xello
10-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Corsair's CM3X2G1600C9DHX have been great for me, 1600mhz stock but going to 1800mhz prime stable no problem with QX9650. It's very well priced here in the UK, too.

RAYTTK
10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=UNIXgod;3336168]Will it limit my OC to run 2 sets of the blue Cellshocks? (i.e. 4x1gig) I think we will be able to run 4 sticks at 1800mhz ish with 7,7,7,20,PL7,1T, they may need a cooler as i think they're gonna need about 1.88-1.93 vdimm, Im using 4 sticks now, 2 Cellshock, 2 OCZ platinum & im watercooling so not much air around the ram, I put a temp sensor on the cellshock and at 1500mhz with 1.97 vdimm they got to 55c while running prime

Are these the ones:

http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3ram/2gbcellshockpc315000bluemicron.html
Yep they are the ones.

That's where I read about the 2x2gig cellshock. I just can't find them anywhere.
I read that too & I couldn't find any .

TSi.fi
10-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I ran a Corsair 2x2GB kit at 1860MHz just fine on the Black Ops... Just remember to disable the second nic if you don't use it...:P It'll cause you some problems otherwise...
The kit was btw TW3X4G1600C9DHXNV from corsair...

UNIXgod
10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah AnandTech likes those over the cellshocks

source:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3366&p=7

What will I gain (or lose) if I decide to save a couple of bucks and go for 1600 over 1800?

saaya
10-07-2008, 02:39 AM
I ran a Corsair 2x2GB kit at 1860MHz just fine on the Black Ops... Just remember to disable the second nic if you don't use it...:P It'll cause you some problems otherwise...
The kit was btw TW3X4G1600C9DHXNV from corsair...huh really?
what exactly happened?

welcome to XtremeSystems Unixgod :toast:
from what people report 4x1 might oc even better than 2x2, at least for the micron kits. 2x2 samsung seem to oc about the same as 2x1 samsung :D

basically the samsung 2x2 are the way to go for easy 1800 and micron 4x1 are the way to go if you love to tweak the mem settings and want to get 1800 with tight timings or even 2000.

UNIXgod
10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I ended up going with the ocz 1800 reapers here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001A1S1SQ/tanis_1026_22804-20

Thanx to everyone for helping me on this thread!

welcome to XtremeSystems Unixgod :toast:

Thank you for the warm welcome! I look forward to spending much time on this board reading stickies and participating in Q & A. (probably more Q than A :D )

saaya
10-07-2008, 10:56 PM
with time itll be more A than Q, im sure :D
hope you have a good time and some fun! :toast:

gmcg
10-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I vote for Crucial DDR3-1066 (PC-8500) with D9JNL on it ... there is a 2Gbx2 kit available around. Just run it at 1.9-1.95V with some air cooling. Price/Performance (most probably you mean Performance/price) = simply the best

saaya
10-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I vote for Crucial DDR3-1066 (PC-8500) with D9JNL on it ... there is a 2Gbx2 kit available around. Just run it at 1.9-1.95V with some air cooling. Price/Performance (most probably you mean Performance/price) = simply the best
i heard mixed results about crucial kits, but for the price of their value kits you usually cant go wrong :D

gmcg
10-09-2008, 06:58 AM
i heard mixed results about crucial kits, but for the price of their value kits you usually cant go wrong :D
Here is an example, and I would like to confirm it:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=429168&mpage=1&key=񨳬

Different opinions may be based on different chips, used in such memory, AFAIK they don't always use D9JNL ...
BTW I have purchased one more kit while it is THAT low in price, I don't currently need 8 Gb RAM, but anyway we will need 3 modules for x58 and one will be kept as a backup ...

saaya
10-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Here is an example, and I would like to confirm it:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=429168&mpage=1&key=��

Different opinions may be based on different chips, used in such memory, AFAIK they don't always use D9JNL ...
BTW I have purchased one more kit while it is THAT low in price, I don't currently need 8 Gb RAM, but anyway we will need 3 modules for x58 and one will be kept as a backup ...

hahahah yeah i actually told that to a mem maker as a joke.
dont change your kits and create tripple channel memory kits, just rebrand it as 3+1 and call the last one a backup stick :D

From my days at cellshock, walking through a few hundred kits of D9JNL per day, i can give you some ideas :D
the worst D9JNL i found will only run stable with 1.6v and only up to 1600 888. single channel!
dual channel max was around 1400 888... would run the same speed with 777 though...
and there were a few kits like that... so def not all d9jnl clocks awesome, and if you buy value stuff you MIGHT get a stick or two like this...
im just saying it... :D

gmcg
10-13-2008, 06:45 AM
hahahah yeah i actually told that to a mem maker as a joke.
dont change your kits and create tripple channel memory kits, just rebrand it as 3+1 and call the last one a backup stick :D
:) why not? Look, JNL is good at low Vdimm, and Core i7 requires low Vdimm up to 1.65V to be safe AFAIK, therefore it is definitely easy to use D9JNL and make those inexpensive 3+1 kits for consumers. Such as sometimes it is difficult to find exactly the same memory stick after some time - either it is not manufactured anymore, or manufacturer has changed memory modules in it, etc. etc., it is better to pay for 1 identical stick just to have it. Even if you have a lifetime warranty on memory, there is no guarantee that your failured stick will be replaced to absolutely identical one to your 2 other sticks. This is my point, call it a joke if you like :D

From my days at cellshock, walking through a few hundred kits of D9JNL per day, i can give you some ideas :D
the worst D9JNL i found will only run stable with 1.6v and only up to 1600 888. single channel!
dual channel max was around 1400 888... would run the same speed with 777 though...
and there were a few kits like that... so def not all d9jnl clocks awesome, and if you buy value stuff you MIGHT get a stick or two like this...
im just saying it... :D Exactly! So it makes sense to have kits, tested by manufacturers for identity ... and of course have one stick as a reserve - just in case! ;)

saaya
10-13-2008, 10:17 PM
weeeellll i agree, but the thing is.. i doubt anybody will do it cause you sell your customers a product already talking about that product failing...
know what i mean? many customers will be like "huh? so they already expect their stuff to fail after some time and already bundle a replacement part... idk... id rather buy the more expensive corsair memory that doesnt fail after some time" :D

nehalem can take more than 1.65v, more than 2v might cause issues though, at least after some time.
but there is no real confirmation of that yet, we will see... :D

gmcg
10-15-2008, 07:07 AM
weeeellll i agree, but the thing is.. i doubt anybody will do it cause you sell your customers a product already talking about that product failing...
OK, its a good point. I would prefer to have a "spire tire" though, even relying on a road service, but you never know ... thats me :D

saaya
10-16-2008, 10:15 PM
OK, its a good point. I would prefer to have a "spire tire" though, even relying on a road service, but you never know ... thats me :D
well i think people like us will enjoy tripple channel kits and use them on x48 and other "OLD" systems and have the third stick as a replacement.

and the again, tripple channel on nehalem is barely any faster than dual channel, so if one stick dies, you barely lose any performance and can hold on for the replacement without a perf loss :D

TSi.fi
10-17-2008, 01:28 PM
huh really?
what exactly happened?

Sry for the late answer...:D Really haven't been paying attention...;)

I actually had a thread here conserning the 4GB problems. I had the cpu using up around 30-40% while idle... Xello actually pointed out that if one of the nics was unused and not disabled, it might cause some problems while running 4GB of memory. I never encountered any problems with leaving the nic running with 2GB but as soon as the next 2GB were installed the problems started... :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202163

gmcg
10-18-2008, 03:14 PM
well i think people like us will enjoy tripple channel kits and use them on x48 and other "OLD" systems and have the third stick as a replacement.

and the again, tripple channel on nehalem is barely any faster than dual channel, so if one stick dies, you barely lose any performance and can hold on for the replacement without a perf loss :D
What? I have seen 15k+ read-write-copy (Everest memory test) on it with pretty weak timings ... is it "barely any faster than dual channel?

Sry for the late answer...:D Really haven't been paying attention...;)

I actually had a thread here conserning the 4GB problems. I had the cpu using up around 30-40% while idle... Xello actually pointed out that if one of the nics was unused and not disabled, it might cause some problems while running 4GB of memory. I never encountered any problems with leaving the nic running with 2GB but as soon as the next 2GB were installed the problems started... :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202163
Hmm, I can't find any logical explanation to this phenomenon ... only OS issue.

TSi.fi
10-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Hmm, I can't find any logical explanation to this phenomenon ... only OS issue.

Tell me about it....:D I reinstalled the OS around 3 times and that didn't solve the problem. I have never encountered any problems like that on any other motherboards I've used....:)

saaya
10-21-2008, 11:37 PM
What? I have seen 15k+ read-write-copy (Everest memory test) on it with pretty weak timings ... is it "barely any faster than dual channel? tripple channel nehalem is barely any faster than dual channel on NEHALEM. im not comparing x48 and nehalem here :D

Hmm, I can't find any logical explanation to this phenomenon ... only OS issue.yeah sounds like a driver issue, could be bios but thats rather unlikely i think...

but ill ask our bios engineer to have a look :)

XmikeX
04-25-2009, 07:01 AM

......and months later, yeah...... :)

Patriot Viper DDR3-1333 (PVT36G1333ELK) 6GB

under $70 (+ rebate) at the time.

as seen here..

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3529

I even got tighter timings in the 1600-1800 domain (dual channel, BOps) than they did.

XmX