PDA

View Full Version : New Dual quad Xeon

skycrane
10-05-2008, 06:28 AM
hey guys, this is my first jump back to intel, so i figure if your going to jump.. jump big.

this is what im thinking of..

asus dseb-dg dual 771

xenon E5420 @ 2.5

rosewill RX950-d

and 8 gigs of fbdimm to start

the questions i have are...

1. does this look good for a main rig/dedicated cruncher?

2. with about 60+ VM running for DIMES :) or more

3. what os would be the best to use
vista x64 or server 08, or any others??

4. both cpu watercooled wiht whatever block i can find to fit... iwaki MD20

5. any other tips or advice would be greatley appericated

joe

STEvil
10-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Seen a few compatability issues with that motherboard.

AMD CPU's are better for VM's arent they? Seems they were the preferred choice for the DIMES team a while ago anyways.

Its Xeon by the way ;)

[XC] Synthetickiller
10-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Please include some cards for folding at home!

zanzabar
10-05-2008, 05:47 PM
i think that u should wait for the i7, its supposed to be a much better server platform than the 771

tiro_uspsss
10-06-2008, 01:18 AM
i think that u should wait for the i7, its supposed to be a much better server platform than the 771

QFT :yepp:

plus change ur PSU to something more reliable :up: Corsair or Ultra X3 perhaps

RejZoR
10-06-2008, 01:28 AM
If thats Xenon, then i'm using Xeon headlights in my car ;)

MomijiTMO
10-06-2008, 01:45 AM
If thats Xenon, then i'm using Xeon headlights in my car ;)
;)

Yeah AMD cpus are better for VMs but I haven't a clue why. [Someone care to tell me why?]

RejZoR
10-06-2008, 02:09 AM
VM as virtual machine? Maybe because they all have Virtualization tech while Intel doesn't have it on lower end chips...

zanzabar
10-06-2008, 02:56 AM
;)

Yeah AMD cpus are better for VMs but I haven't a clue why. [Someone care to tell me why?]

they have more memory bandwidth and no fully buffered ram, and the i7 will be the same with ecc ddr3 and no more fully buffered crap

skycrane
10-06-2008, 04:50 AM
Hey, i never said i passed english in HS.. :)

and for the i7, i think ill wait on those till next year, when theget all the bugs worked out

Slovnaft
10-06-2008, 04:56 AM
what bugs?? XD

no faserious, wait a mere...27 days? you'll be glad you'll be glad you'll be glad you did....

EDIT: 25 days! Holy christwagons@!

[XC] Synthetickiller
10-06-2008, 07:10 AM
I'd see what i7 brings before dropping that much change on a pc. Also, please fold! in vista, you won't have issues w/ the cpu cores getting eaten by the gpu client. Even two 9600gsos will get you 10,000 ppd and they are relatively low in cost to run and buy outright, but cooling isn't an issue. :up:

skycrane
10-06-2008, 08:57 AM
will i have a problem folding if using xp64 or server08? and according to this http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=203632 ifyou give your ram to much voltage to OC the cpu you WILL fry it... not sure if i want to do that....

or would skulltrail be better than a server board?

[XC] Synthetickiller
10-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Skulltrail is a server board, it just happens to also allow for OC! E-ATX ftw. :up:

If you can do a skulltrail if don't go Nehalem, get server 2008 since its basically vista and does a better job with offloading the gpu to the cpu (which it rarely does, 3% to 5% at the most) the xp by far. I do not know how xp 64 does. Post a question in the folding forum and we'll be happy to help. I don't know off hand since I'm only running vista x64 rigs atm.

STEvil
10-06-2008, 09:20 PM
skycrane - frying the CPU wont happen on 771, only with nehalem.

It might not be so much of an issue as it has been made out to be either. Integrated memory controllers can be touchy but the drive strength of the motherboard can play a huge role in the amount of current that is passed to the CPU from the ram as well as the quality (poor quality means the CPU is less likely to survive increase ram voltage in this case).

Entity_Razer
10-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Seen a few compatability issues with that motherboard.

AMD CPU's are better for VM's arent they? Seems they were the preferred choice for the DIMES team a while ago anyways.

Its Xeon by the way ;)

Ye AMD's vastly outperform AMD on VM performance.

Barcelona's where shot down due to the errata and all that but they still kicked ass in VM solutions.

Reason why.? No 1 thin really, its the culmination of all other things as well.

tiro_uspsss
10-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Ye AMD's vastly outperform AMD on VM performance.

Barcelona's where shot down due to the errata and all that but they still kicked ass in VM solutions.

Reason why.? No 1 thin really, its the culmination of all other things as well.

:confused: ur post totally confoosed me - especially the first line! :shrug: