PDA

View Full Version : Reservoirs

FrostyPanda
10-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I didn't see a reservoir thread so I thought I'd start one. To start off, I've got a quick question. Is there any performance drop if I were to hook all three of my loops to a reservoir? The res. would be one of the EK Multioption 400mm long ones and I would drill two more sets of holes to mount barbs along the length so I can have three total loops with a single res spanning the top of my Lian Li pc 343b. Is this possible?

BlueAqua
10-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Having one reservoir kind of defeats the purpose for multiple loops. They will all share the same water and therefore share the same temperatures. It will work, but you might as well just go with one loop then.

Stuey
10-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I think that more info is needed.

Three loops = three radiators?

In that case, just because the res water temp is the same for all three loops, it doesn't mean that the temp of the water in the different water blocks will be the same, especially if there's a radiator in each loop.

The only thing that I would be worried about is flow interaction/interference that could affect the overall flow rate. If the different loops aren't identical, it *might* be that the path of least resistance would see the most flow, with the other loops seeing a drop in flow.

BreeSpree
10-03-2008, 06:49 PM
To answer your question directly, it is possible. I should tell you, however that it is not a reccomended idea. While it is true that the coolant temperature from the res to the pump will be the same, the different radiators would cool it back to the cooling capacity of each seperate radiator. Still, you would be making the coolant as hot as the hottest coolant in the loop going into the pump, and whatever the rad won't get, will be dumped back into your blocks, so while in theory, it would work, it is safer/smarter to just use 3 different resovoirs. If you want just one resovoir at the top you can. Don't forget you can simply use T's or fillports for the 2 smaller loops.