PDA

View Full Version : 20" Viewsonic VX2025wm to 24" Samsung 245BW - good or bad idea?

Sparky
10-03-2008, 09:29 AM
I've been toying with the idea of selling my Viewsonic VX2025wm 20" LCD and buying a Samsung 245BW 24" LCD. The part I'm not sure about is my Viewsonic is a S-PVA panel. The Samsung is a TN panel. Sure the samsung is 4 inches bigger and a little higher resolution, but would I regret going to a TN panel? I don't really have money to buy a 245BW, stick it next to my viewsonic, and compare the two. I either do it or I don't. 2.5 years ago the TN panels were just OK but they seem to have come a long way.

Opinions? :shrug:

inCore
10-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Depends what you want it for. I have a 245B+ i.e. not quite the same but similar enough in my eyes, and I'm quite pleased with it. Vertical viewing angles are horrible, which is why it by default comes with a screw that disables the rotate function. You can remove it if you really want to but I wouldn't recommend it. Horizontal angles are fine in my opinion, if you want to watch a movie with a friend, it's no problem. It's good for gaming too, being a TN panel it has a fast reaction time. Sure, if you're into graphic design and need perfect black levels, this monitor isn't for you. Still, the extra space on your screen makes it totally worth it.

Nazu
10-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Your Viewsonic has a MVA panel. That's better than TN panel so you will probably notice the poor viewing angles of the TN-panel display and the less vibrant colors. Ofc bigger resolution and size is always nice but is that enough to cover the usual problems with TN-panel displays is up to you.

lenix
10-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I recently got this 24" HP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176090&Tpk=w2408h

It have a TN panel, but I'm in love with it.

If you're after gaming and watching movies ( no professional work ) then ya it will be worth it :)

Kian
10-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Usually retail stores have the 245BW instore so you can have a look at it to check how you feel about going from a PVA panel to a TN panel and if you're ok with the change. From personal experience I can't the stand view from the 245BW so I would advise on keeping the viewsonic a little longer and save money to upgrade on some better 24" that's S-IPS. If not I believe BenQ has a 24" V2400W TN that's supposedly of better quality around ~400 with free S/H.

Nasgul
10-04-2008, 05:20 AM
What's with everyone and "you'll see the poor viewing angle".........since when people sits at an angle from their monitors? That would be just ridiculous.

That Samsung looks good but....no HDCP support, so that may not be a good choice probably? That was one of the things I needed to have for my 24" LCD.

The models I'd suggest are: SAMSUNG 2433BW & SAMSUNG TOC T240 ( my lcd :D ), the only difference in these two are the panel color and the T240 has an HDMI input, that's all. LINK HERE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000190020%2050001077%201309821328%201486334435&bop=And&Order=PRICE&CompareItemList=N82E16824001309%2CN82E16824001275)

I used to have a 22" CRT and thought about never getting an LCD because "I thought" that LCDs weren't that good, but this T240 has changed that, it's great, picture and image quality are better, way better than the CRT.

Head to Best Buy today and look to see if they have the T240 on display............I came from using a 22" CRT and we all know that CRTs are still better than LCDs but this Samsung LCD monitors are badass IMO.
I'm so happy I waited this long for LCD to get this much better over the years.

Also, the T240 are guaranteed ZERO dead pixel, I guess that's what the ToC line does and yes, there are none....one of the best investments I've made this year. Another is finally getting a Quad Core and in the form of the Q6600, sweet CPU.

G4h4o8s6T
10-04-2008, 09:44 AM
What's with everyone and "you'll see the poor viewing angle".........since when people sits at an angle from their monitors? That would be just ridiculous.The problem isnt just when sitting at an angle, its that when looking straight at it you get "color shifting"(you see a different shade of the color from top to bottom).

Sparky, Id see if you can pick up a similar 24" TN at BestBuy, or another B&M store, check what their return policy is, and test it out. Whether you like it or not, just take it back :p:

I have the same monitor, and personally cannot stand the colors/viewing angles of my friends TN. Ill be sticking with my VX2025 until I can find a reasonably priced 24" *VA\IPS that suits my needs.