PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2 Delayed, again!

st0nedpenguin
10-07-2003, 07:07 AM
I know what you're thinking, December 1st, right?

Looks unlikely.

The theft of part of its source code has delayed until April 2004 the launch of Half Life II, the hotly anticipated alien-hunting game of Vivendi Universal Games. "A third of the source code was stolen. It's serious because it forces us to delay the launch of the game by at least four months, that is to April 2004. Just the time to rewrite parts of the game." Read the full article for more details.

http://www.gamershell.com/news_BHalf-Life2Bdelayeduntil.shtml

saaya
10-07-2003, 07:11 AM
:eek:

if id get this hacker id rip his head of... no kidding...

CCW
10-07-2003, 07:19 AM
Jeez that sucks, it wasnt so bad for me when the original Half-Life was delayed so much because I hadnt read much about it but I cant wait for Half-Life 2.

c|4|\/||\| |-|4x0rZ!

Craig

L0$t Pr0PhEt
10-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Who long do you have to wait for a freakin game!

Major
10-07-2003, 07:22 AM
I'm going with the cover up conspricy !! They got behind on development and leaked old source code so they could delay the launch date without losing face !

Holst
10-07-2003, 09:06 AM
That sux :(

maybee MS is right, we will never know.

will_perdikakis
10-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Are we so desperate for thread views that we post in a completely unrelated forum?

st0nedpenguin
10-07-2003, 09:18 AM
No, but "we" have had a few Half-Life 2 posts in this forum recently, and so "we" decided that it made sense to put it in here, "we" also feel it is relevant as this decision has probably pushed back the release date for the Half-Life 2 benchmark.

Kunaak
10-07-2003, 09:26 AM
maybe Nvidia had someone hack valve...
ATI was counting on that as a means to sell the XT cards, Nvidia knew that...

I always been a consiracy theorist, I still don't believe bush won the presidency, but was more placed there.
area51, landing on the moon, the lone gunman...
HL2 code stolen at a very convienent time for Nvida.
now if only aliens had something to do with it, I'd have a good laugh ;)

(I am just playing around, except the part about bush)

Intronic
10-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Lol again.. ah well, there is a real beta out now, im gonna test it tomorrow. :D

xDUCK
10-07-2003, 09:54 AM
This is starting to get ridiculous. Now, I know source code leaking out is somewhat of an annoyance, but why the hell would it delay launch by several months? I understand netcode might need to be adjusted if the cheat-prevention source was part of what was leaked, but that sure as hell does not take 3 months (well, if they implement ANY abstraction at all... ;)).

st0nedpenguin
10-07-2003, 09:55 AM
The CD-key protection was exposed. :(

Spec3
10-07-2003, 10:08 AM
I hope someone nukes that dam hacker script kiddy

L0$t Pr0PhEt
10-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Kunaak
maybe Nvidia had someone hack valve...
ATI was counting on that as a means to sell the XT cards, Nvidia knew that...

I always been a consiracy theorist, I still don't believe bush won the presidency, but was more placed there.
area51, landing on the moon, the lone gunman...
HL2 code stolen at a very convienent time for Nvida.
now if only aliens had something to do with it, I'd have a good laugh ;)

(I am just playing around, except the part about bush)

They will just give a ticket with the card so you can pick up hl2 later :)

st0nedpenguin
10-07-2003, 10:37 AM
The paper it's printed on will have decomposed by the time it comes out. :D

saaya
10-07-2003, 10:53 AM
I'm going with the cover up conspricy !! They got behind on development and leaked old source code so they could delay the launch date without losing face !

exactly what i thougt, either that or nvidia h4Xor3d them so they will have their nv40 out when the game gets released. hl2 was basically not playable with a 5600 so they would have lost a lot of people to ati.

shrae
10-07-2003, 11:20 AM
It's curious that no one has really pointed the finger at Valve for this. I'm frankly amazed that any corporation of any stature would fall victim to a security breach of this nature.

Network security is the sole responsibilty of the company, that's the bottom line. There will always be hackers trying to steal source code among other deviant acts; that's nothing new. A statement released by Valve when the news first broke indicated that anti-virus was the only protection on one of the laptops where a suspected keystroke program was logging information, and that's apalling. I headed support systems at a major US university for a year, and I can certainly tell you that if this type of security breach occured and critical source code was lost (we coded our own security routines among other projects), there would be heads rolling.

I mean, c'mon here. For god's sake, the source code is all you are working for as a software company. It's the lifeblood. This is like a bank announcing they lost all the money in their vault. This is so unbelievable to me, I have to give some weight to the conspiracy theorists who said in this thread that Valve issued these statements as just a coverup for a delay. This type of thing just doesn't happen on the professional level.

STEvil
10-07-2003, 12:33 PM
The nVidia conspiracy theory wouldn't surprise me one bit, actually.

lalPOOO
10-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Strange that nobody has thought of a direct competiton theory...

Think about it, ID. They make probably 50% or more off the liscencing of their engines, and so if they have theirs out first, and more people try it its more likely they'd choose it over valves. Not to mention the fact that they are probably capable of this sort of sneaky business. Not that I actually think they did it, but it has crossed my mind.

saaya
10-08-2003, 04:45 AM
it was vivendi who stated itll be delayed until april, valve will make a press conference about this very soon announcing they WILL release the game this year. :banana:

Holst
10-08-2003, 06:34 AM
Maybee this is just a HL2 publicity stunt. They have certainly got some good column inches out of it allready.

I dont beleive for a second that any other company is directly involved in this. I think this is much more likely to be down to a valve employee than anything else, either leaking it intentionally or being incompetent.

st0nedpenguin
10-08-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by saaya
it was vivendi who stated itll be delayed until april, valve will make a press conference about this very soon announcing they WILL release the game this year. :banana:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11984

Damn you and your banana!

:D

shrae
10-08-2003, 06:44 AM
I can agree that this could have been intentional; nearly every time a software leak occurs - as we see with completed games - the game is absolutely intentionally leaked by an inside source at the software company or the publisher. I can't say I recall a story of a hacker breaking into a loose system in quite this way. As I said previously, it just doesn't happen.

It'll be interesting to see what Valve says in their press release. Vivendi Universal, as the publisher, obviously has close relationship with Valve; and as I also stated earlier, they have no reason to estimate a lengthy delay unless they know it's going to happen. The game could be out for Christmas - who knows - but if so, it's curious why a VU spokesperson would make such an announcment; it doesn't add up.

Liquide
10-08-2003, 07:10 AM
Kind of funny, Doom 3 and HL2 was going to launch on about about the same date at first, but then D3 got delayed, some say because they didn't want to compete with HL2.

Now HL2 is also delayed to ~April... didn't ID says D3 would be released in April? :)

will_perdikakis
10-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by st0nedpenguin
No, but "we" have had a few Half-Life 2 posts in this forum recently, and so "we" decided that it made sense to put it in here, "we" also feel it is relevant as this decision has probably pushed back the release date for the Half-Life 2 benchmark. :)

What if the games are not completed?

saaya
10-13-2003, 10:57 AM
half life 2 is definately NOT completed, and the delay has nopthing to do with the source code leakage but because valave has some problems with their physics engine and the soround sound engine.

they are working hard to get it out at christmas, honestly id rather wait 6 more months and buy a great game then get it on christmas and its full of bugs and they cut out some levels because they couldnt finish them...

antipop
10-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Vivendi and Valve have always been in contradiction on the release date since the beginning. I remember a friend who told me in july that he was waiting the game for the 30 of sept, i told him not to count in it. I've never heard of a game that was expected to be released on date!!!

ps and please don't post this here as it has nothing to do with oc'ing no matter how much the people here expect the game. Wampeteers is a good place with some good traffic

X-Ecutioner
10-13-2003, 11:33 AM
got some new info for u guys ....

quote from megagames.com

There seem to be many twists and bends in the continuing H-L 2 saga. While Valve claim that only one third of the code was stolen, even after the release of a, barely, playable Half-Life 2 beta version, rumours are starting to spread that a pre-Gold release of the game and its full source code may be released tomorrow. According to HalfLife2.net forums and to a variety of H-L 2 fan sites the thief has spoken and this is what he said about the beta and Valve's response:

To everyone saying this is no Beta: I'd like to point out that THIS is what you wanted Valve to release on 9/30/03, theres no such thing as a much better release in Valves network!
I suggested to Valve to stop lying to their customers about how much was stolen. However, they disregarded my statement and called me a liar. Now they will see how much I have been lying when I release the Pre-Gold and all 100 per cent of the sourcecode. Actions speak louder then words.

Anonymous Leaker

The authenticity of this Anonymous Leaker cannot, of course, be verified until tomorrow and even then, only if the threats materialize.

If this is the real leak and he does carry out his threat then tomorrow could be the day that the final nail is hammered into Valve's and H-L 2's, already pounded, coffin.

Gamers can only hope that he is not for real or that he thinks about the reprecussions of his actions and does not carry out his threat.

brought to u by X :P

IFMU
10-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by st0nedpenguin
No, but "we" have had a few Half-Life 2 posts in this forum recently, and so "we" decided that it made sense to put it in here, "we" also feel it is relevant as this decision has probably pushed back the release date for the Half-Life 2 benchmark.

Regardless where "we" want to view it, it doesnt belong here.

Moved.

IFMU

antipop
10-13-2003, 12:59 PM
IFMU rofl at your sig

IFMU
10-13-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by antipop
IFMU rofl at your sig
;)

G H Z
01-22-2004, 11:48 PM
http://squeedlyspooch.com/blog/archives/000072.html

http://www.hungry.com/hungries/toshok1.jpg

shrae
02-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Just an update.

"While refusing to commit to a specific date, Lombardi told finance site CNN Money that the developer is currently aiming towards 'this summer for the completion of Half-Life 2'."

Note use of the term "completion", not 'distribution' or 'release'. This would probably indicate a fall release for PC at the earliest. (If it ever comes out.)

http://www.half-life-2.info/news.php

doctorcod
02-13-2004, 08:55 PM
lol so they got the september 30th part right, just not the year. lol

sky
02-14-2004, 03:30 PM
so, now we're waiting for carmack to postpone doom3 a little more, and maybe the same for s.t.a.l.k.e.r..
what the f*** is wrong with these darn games??? witing for the next xmess sales frenzy or what?