PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

Magnj
10-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Whacha rockin?

Shaggy
10-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Icemats that are broken and keep cracklin'.

YMAA
10-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Sennheiser CX300s modded to fit the iPhone. Work great on the PC as well.

Nate P.
10-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Philips SHP2500's. I like 'em!

Magnj
10-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I just splurged and got Grado SR-80's and am loving it :)

Chewbenator
10-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Icemats that are broken and keep cracklin'.

Heheh, was me for the summer.

Got a pair of Sennheiser HD555s right now and they suit my purposes well.

5ILVgearX
01-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Sennhesiers hd555 here too, great for long hours of comfort

Knight203
01-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Beyer Dynamic DT770Pro/80 :up: the bass is unbelievable!

Aerou
06-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Sennhesiers hd555 here too, great for long hours of comfort

Have these for years now, great cans with universal usability and great comfort. They are my "college cans" now. If someone with HD555 loves the way they sound, the best step up are the HD600. They have a similar mood and amount of bass, although it is much more accurate, and give richer and better higher mids. Highs aren't that muffled either.

Now, back at home I enjoy the definition Denon AH-D2000 provide :up:

STEvil
06-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Sony MDR-CD380's

Martijn
06-08-2009, 09:40 AM
HD595s here :)

EvilTulsan
06-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Sennheiser HD595's now.

First purchased the steelseries 5H's and the mic broke a little over a year and would introduce static into the headset. I'm extremely pleased with the 595's (especially the comfort of the velvet on my ears :D). I just use mine for gaming/owning noobs. ;)

exemay
06-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Bose QC3 headphones

Without doubt, the best headphones i have ever ever used, i got a pair a while back, if you have the money to buy them do so, their audio quality is simply amazing this paired with the noise canceling technology, makes them the best headphones ive ever had the pleasure of owning. The battery life is amazing on them, i get about 32 hours of listening from 1 charge....and the charge time is about 1 hours!! simply amazing

Cpl Ledanek
06-10-2009, 03:14 PM

+1 here...love COD4 but, headclamp is too damn tight on my noogin:shakes:...been stretchin on a basketball & box it came in...1hr most I can handle.

if you got any idea to further stretch it...toss me some ideas :up:

SoulsCollective
06-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Why is this forum a subset of Xtreme Photography? What's "Xtreme Audio" got to do with taking pictures? Come to think of it, what's the difference between "Xtreme Audio" and "Sound Cards and Audio Products (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)"?

In any case, Auzentech X-Fi Prelude powering Audio Technica ATH-AD1000s for desktop, iPod Nano (4th gen) powering Head Direct RE0s for portable.

Rattle
06-10-2009, 04:59 PM

:banana::banana::banana::banana: yeah badass cans, i got a titanium, i might swap over to auzen forte just for these :up:

Speederlander
08-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Sennheiser HD800.

Most comfortable headphones ever made.

SNiiPE_DoGG
08-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Bose Triport around ear (from when they were the only kind of triport)

they are very sensitive drivers which makes them great for directional and gaming, excellent clarity and body to the sound.

Mescalamba
08-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Sennheiser HD 555 (mod to 595) + Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 = impressive quality sound.. tough, they are almost not enough for this soundcard, its more like for HD 6XX .. amazing soundcard, upgradable OPAMPs, modable.. :)

zanzabar
08-14-2009, 03:27 PM

+1 i love my BD, and they are so much better than the senheisers

RPGWiZaRD
08-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Sennheiser HD 212 Pro here, I also tried Beyer Dynamic DT770Pro/80 but returned them because I was more satisfied with the Sennheiser's that was like 3x cheaper and so much more comfortable (can be worn for as long as you want and you won't feel them because they're like 160 grams only)! :p: I'm a basshead mostly listening to trance/dance/pop but also ballads and I want as powerful bass as possible without overhelming the treble, and that's exactly what Sennheiser HD 212 Pro are, slightly more powerful bass than the Beyer but doesn't overhelm the high notes. Bought a backup set already cuz they were only 43 EUR. If good bass output is no1 priority then they are superb, audiophiles won't prolly like them. :D

Jokester_wild
08-14-2009, 05:35 PM
anyone tried Beyerdynamic ?

Ive been looking at the DJX-1

http://www.headphonethings.co.uk/images/beyerdynamic-DJX-1.jpg

RAW-Raptor22
08-14-2009, 05:37 PM
My old backup Sennheiser HD465.

Listening to: Brooks & Dunn - Hillbilly Deluxe | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiOvK4xwr2U&

RPGWiZaRD
08-15-2009, 06:18 AM

Ive been looking at the DJX-1

http://www.headphonethings.co.uk/images/beyerdynamic-DJX-1.jpg

Those actually look very nice and comfortable, and only 25 ohms, my Sennheiser's are 32 so they will sound like perfect with pretty much any device you connect it to without amp. Can't seem to find much feedback about those.

DeadlyFire
08-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Audio-Technica ATH-A500 (http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-A500_Art_Headphones.html), most comfortable headphones known to man. :cool:

GTSRboy
08-15-2009, 10:27 PM
these https://www.belmonttv.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/bose-around-ear-headphones.jpg

They ROCK....Bose replaced them for FREE...TWICE!! [they got broken twice for various reasons.] .... $150...well worth it.

autobot
08-15-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm runnin a set of Sennhiezer HD485. They are comfy for HOURS of gaming. Pop on a little Zalman clip-on mic and you've got all "gaming headsets" beat! :)

Jamesrt2004
08-16-2009, 03:18 AM
bose are overpriced >_<

but sens cx500's + hd600's

Knight203
08-16-2009, 06:48 AM

Ive got the BeyerDynamic DT770pro/80ohm and I love the hell out of them. I have at least 10,000 hours on them...and they are still amazing.

faster3200
08-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Sony MDR-V6 :up:

They saved me from my Bose QC3 :shakes:

I might be going for some Audiotechnica AD700s though.

exemay
08-16-2009, 12:02 PM
They ROCK....Bose replaced them for FREE...TWICE!! [they got broken twice for various reasons.] .... $150...well worth it.

Indeed, bose are an amazing company, they replaced my QC3's when they went wrong, i took them into the store, no questions asked they replaced them! really are an excellent company :up:

bose are overpriced >_<

but sens cx500's + hd600's

You get what you pay for.... there are some amazing low end headphones, I had a pair of £32 in ear skull candy headphones that where amazing, but i still love my QC3's :yepp:

Sony MDR-V6 :up:

They saved me from my Bose QC3 :shakes:

I might be going for some Audiotechnica AD700s though.

what do u mean saved you from the bose QC3's? didnt you like em :P:?

faster3200
08-16-2009, 12:22 PM
what do u mean saved you from the bose QC3's? didnt you like em :P:?

Not at all. I have owned Triports, QC2s, QC3s, and various Bose speaker systems since I get them for free.

Everyone of them sounds like absolute crap compared to an alternative half their MSRP. The Triports should really be priced around $30 for how they sound. I don't know exactly why but every Bose headset I have ever owned makes everything sound sort of "unreal" or exaggerated like they applied some sort of crazy EQ to it. Nothing really sounds like it should, which imo is the opposite goal.
I guess I could understand liking them if you used them with onboard sound or an ipod without an amp since those already sound pretty poor and some exaggeration might help.

My MDR-V6 I actually found in my closet. I had used them for guitar recording and to plug into my amp so as not to annoy the sleeping people when I practiced. They are pretty old (nicked from a recording studio in the '80s by my step-dad) which is why I might replace them. They sound pretty good considering their current price point.

Jamesrt2004
08-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Not at all. I have owned Triports, QC2s, QC3s, and various Bose speaker systems since I get them for free.

Everyone of them sounds like absolute crap compared to an alternative half their MSRP. The Triports should really be priced around $30 for how they sound. I don't know exactly why but every Bose headset I have ever owned makes everything sound sort of "unreal" or exaggerated like they applied some sort of crazy EQ to it. Nothing really sounds like it should, which imo is the opposite goal.
I guess I could understand liking them if you used them with onboard sound or an ipod without an amp since those already sound pretty poor and some exaggeration might help.

My MDR-V6 I actually found in my closet. I had used them for guitar recording and to plug into my amp so as not to annoy the sleeping people when I practiced. They are pretty old (nicked from a recording studio in the '80s by my step-dad) which is why I might replace them. They sound pretty good considering their current price point.

+1 this is what i mean by they are overpriced there CC is good but a lot of the time it still doesn't justify their pricce tag (go to head-fi to see some real hate towards them lol)

Newblar
08-17-2009, 02:54 PM
ive got some HD280s that i bought about 2 years ago, and im running foobar with wasapi on my onboard realtek 'HD'
im waiting out until asus essence st is out, and saving up for some ad700s
might end up getting a minimax if i can afford it, but id likely have to spend some more on HD600's if i do

AndrewZorn
08-18-2009, 12:35 PM
over the last year (a shame) ive had:

icemat siberia, then just decided to get:
senn hd555, still have them didnt even receive them before i changed my mind and got:
denon d1001, these are now for sale because i just ordered:
audio-technica ath-m50

3Z3VH
08-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Shure SE530 (http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.105460100) in-ear monitors.

A bit pricey, but worth every penny !

http://drh2.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Company/shure/images/product/detail/se530pth.jpg

Jochenp
08-19-2009, 12:10 PM
a BIT pricey :D
Sony MDR-XD300 for me, they look insane, but they are really comfortable and great for DJ-use

Xel'Naga
08-19-2009, 02:20 PM
sys: laptop running xp+foobar or fedora11+audacious
head: AKG K701
amp: LittleDot MK II
dac: Behringer U Control UCA202
Next update: Musical Fidelity V-DAC and new tubes

faster3200
08-19-2009, 04:14 PM

Those must be good. I have seen a ton of those and the K240s on people in audio.

GTSRboy
08-19-2009, 06:37 PM
sys: laptop running xp+foobar or fedora11+audacious
amp: LittleDot MK II
dac: Behringer U Control UCA202
Next update: Musical Fidelity V-DAC and new tubes

How are the K701's? Are they spectacular and worth the high price? Ive been 'eyeing' them

Xel'Naga
08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
How are the K701's? Are they spectacular and worth the high price? Ive been 'eyeing' them
It's a love it or hate it headphone. You should really listen to them before you buy. I personally love it but there are a few things you should know.

1. Low sensitivity. If you listen at high volume, make sure you have a powerful amp. 150mW is enough for me and I like my music to be loud.
2. Pretty amp dependant. First of all, without an amp they will have no bass. With one, the bass is just nice. If you like very loud bass go for something else.
Even without this issue, they need a decent amp to shine.
3. Very big sound-stage. It's quite weird for a headphone. Some love it, some hate it. Test the headphones before you spend the money.

Excellent for classical, jazz and generally slow stuff. NOT a headbanger's phone.

diredesire
08-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Sennheiser HD595 - I use this as an "all around" phone. I like them because they're aggressive for senns, easy to drive, and are comfortable

Audio Technica A500s - Bassy/Gaming/Movies phones, although I don't really use them all that much. I actually don't know where the heck they are, now that I think about it...

Grado SR-60 - too good of a deal to pass up, I will probably mod them in the future. For the price, these are so. killer.

Alessandro MS-1: Similar to the Grado SR-80s, except a little more smooth/mellow. Takes the edge off. I don't like the comfort level for these and the SR-60s, really hard to get comfy without excessive modding. Maybe I'll mod the SR-60 drivers into a senn type headband... hmmm...

Etymotic ER6i - I use them to block out conversations at work, although they're a little TOO good at isolation. I'll have awkward situations all the time when someone is talking to me, and I just can't hear them.

3Z3VH
08-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Looks like Shure also just released a line of Headphones (http://shure.com/ProAudio/Products/Headphones/index.htm). Has anyone heard them ? I would be interested in knowing what they thought.

Xel'Naga
08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Quick compilation of opinions from this thread:
SRH840 impression (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/srh840-impression-433356/)
The lower-end models seems to have similar characteristics and value when compared with other similarly priced headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbf2cheater View Post
840 for mp3 player w/ amp or w/out still sounds nice, home computer use, cdplayer/stereo

650 for audiophile stereo and rig up with excellent amp, gaming

650 wins for true sound, 840 wins for rocking out

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
srh840 only wins if u compare them unamped

my 580 scales like crazy with source/amp.. every upgrade i do i can just hear them getting better

the srh840, not so much... dont think they benefit from amping as much
These are very good answers. The HD650 will sound awful from an iPod; the 840 do pretty well from an iPod. The 650's with a nice tube amp are awesome; the 840's aren't really tube-amp friendly. And the 840's sound pretty open for closed cans, but the 650's image better.

Of course, the 840's are half the price...

I heard the 840 this morning. It was NOT new out of the box.

Honestly, I didn't like it all that much. Yes, it had a smooth sound, but I thought it sounded slightly muffled. I actually thought it was too smooth.

I didn't like the bass presentation, but I couldn't put my finger on what exactly bothered me about it. Maybe I'm just used to to semi-open headphones. The 840 most definitely sound like closed headphones.

I'm glad I got to try them before buying as I was seriously considering buying a pair. They are definitely off my "to-buy" list now.

Sorry I can't give a more detailed description, but I had a limited time with them and was not able to compare them to other headphones.

I definitely prefer the Denon line, and the ATH-AD900, to the Shure 840.

Just a quick note thanking this thread for directing me to the 840s. After burn, I love 'em. Sound VERY similar to my se530s, just a bit more substantial. FWIW, I am running them off of my sr-71a. Here is a quick pic I grabbed:

Here are some thoughts after almost two straight days of burn-in:

wearability - these feel like large pillows. I have a rather narrow, pointy head, and the single bump problem on my AKG 701 was a concern after some reports in this thread. But, I've flattened the headband a bit and they are really easy to wear. They do slip, though, with lots of head movement. And, I'm pretty sure they look dopey on me. I don't care.

Isolation - very good, but not like an IEM. My gf has already noticed how she can call my name from upstairs and I won't hear her. Thanks, shure.

Build quality - excellent, except for the cord. They just feel very durable, very business-like. But, the cord is a problem, not so much because of the coil ( though I'd prefer without ) but because the jack into the headphone is HUGE and not at all what I am looking for into an iPhone or my Macbook. I like the locking feature but I had that it's proprietary. My #1 wish for these phones is that Shure will make a locking mini to 2.5 adapter, and allow us to replace the cord easily.

Sound Q - really coming into its own. At first listen, impressions were really positive, except for some really woolly, distorted bass. For ex, on "Song for Charley" off of Nick Cave's OST to "The Assassination of Jesse James...." I heard some distortion on low notes in the right driver that had me thinking i'd need to return them. I tried, but could not replicate the buzzing in any of my other headphones ( none high end at all ). Now, however, that distortion has disappeared, and the bass is starting to tighten up. Songs with a big, snappy drum ( say, Ants Marching by DMB ) are a real pleasure.

I've also been impressed with the dynamics. I've been burning in with my entire music collection, but also Pandora set to classical. Although not a high-end source by any stretch, some of the Pandora tracks have had such swings that I've been really, really moved. Very cool.

Clarity, however, is not up to the same level as my 701s. Looking back ( mine were lost in a move ) the 701 really didn't smear ANYTHING that you sent its way. A really beautiful, "dont know what you got til its gone" type of presentation. Now, that said, I dont think these are muddy at all - just not up to the high level of the 701s in that regard. Also, with the 701s, I would use the tone controls on my vintage Marantz integrated to apply some tube-like bass boost, but nothing of that sort is necessary. In fact, Im not sure these are a great match for tubes or warm electronics. They already have enough bass to make me happy without EQ.

I'm skeptical of major differences between amps, but so far these seem relatively easy to drive. I usually listen to them at less than three clicks on my Macbook and its loud enough. And, as they've burned it, I haven't heard any distortion when I really crank them.

ripken204
08-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Sennheiser HD595, they are pretty good.

SNiiPE_DoGG
08-22-2009, 01:02 PM
SO what are the next best things to BD dt770's that I can get at guitar center?

diredesire
08-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Sennheiser HD595, they are pretty good.

What kind of source are you driving them with? They can be pretty darn good when amped ;)

gurusan
08-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Sennheiser HD 580s driven by amb labs mini3 or starving student millet hybrid, external DIY dac

ripken204
08-23-2009, 07:44 AM
What kind of source are you driving them with? They can be pretty darn good when amped ;)

just an auzentech x-fi prelude

RAW-Raptor22
08-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm runnin a set of Sennhiezer HD485. They are comfy for HOURS of gaming. Pop on a little Zalman clip-on mic and you've got all "gaming headsets" beat! :)

Whats the difference between those and the 465s?

SNiiPE_DoGG
08-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Got some BD DT770 PRO's today and boy o boy are they incedible paired with this auzentech forte! working amazing.

I finally got a good microphone too because i was so sick of having to buy a new equally crappy Mic every six months (must have gone thru 20 different kinds now) Picked up a Blue Snowball USB condenser mic and it sounds SO good, amazing what pro audio can do for us computer users :up:

Cpl Ledanek
09-12-2009, 05:00 PM
i don't have a pic of my DT770 (+ Philips Mic Mod), so this will do for now:
http://thereifixedit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/shad-raidtonight.jpg
:D :rofl:

Quest_7F
09-12-2009, 05:44 PM
haha very beautiful, i am impressed :up:

Camride
09-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Senheiser HD201's:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/camride/senn_HD201_zoom.jpg

Great cheap headphones. They start getting uncomfortable after about 2 hours, but I usually don't have them on that long. Sound great, but I've never listed to a truely good set so I don't have that much to compare them to.

diredesire
09-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Senheiser HD201's:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/camride/senn_HD201_zoom.jpg

Great cheap headphones. They start getting uncomfortable after about 2 hours, but I usually don't have them on that long. Sound great, but I've never listed to a truely good set so I don't have that much to compare them to.
Are you driving these straight out of your motherboard? I thought the HD201 was nothing special, I'm still trying to figure out why people like them so much.

Camride
09-16-2009, 11:24 AM
They're straight off my X-Fi sound card. They're not anything really special, they're just cheap. :D I spent $35 on them.

Exal
09-16-2009, 11:44 AM
My setup:

HD 595 connected to my Sansui AU-X111 analog amp, which is connected to my x-fi xtrememusic

and PC-350 connected to my onboard sound

http://i32.tinypic.com/20atmzd.jpg

slim142
09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Until yesterday eDimmensional AudioFX 5.1 USB headset

Starting today eDimmensional AudioFX v2.0 3.5mm headset

Im so happy with my new v2 headphones. They have so much bass, if I have it ON and I try to read something, the text goes up and down :shock:

Aerou
10-03-2009, 06:29 AM
While I love my HD600, I freshly started using Hifiman RE0 in-ear phones. OMG, the detail in the treble. Best IEM purchase there is IMO :D They got me running again

TheGoat Eater
10-03-2009, 03:18 PM
I've been wanting the AKG 702 - anybody have any experience with these, I know they will take a long time to break in and I plan on using a headphone amp too... just wanting some input ;)

Jokester_wild
10-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I just ordered the Sennheiser HD 25-2 II. Hopefully they are better then the Sony cans I had!

http://en.redbulletin.com/uploads/galleries/150/1.jpg

Zaxis01
10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I have a creative fatality headset that i use mainly for pc gaming and they kick bass.