PDA

View Full Version : Black ops 54 and beeping

Gendo
09-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Last week I have received a Blackops from Foxconn in the Netherlands to give an overclockingdemo which was last saturday. The demo went fine, the board had no problems at all. Same thing on Sunday. But then monday morning when I turned on my computer it started beeping and the led poster showed 54. I looked up the error and it has got something to do with the RAM settings being too high. Which is weird as they are running @ 1200 even tho it's 1333.(cheap kit I borrowed from Corsair cause I didn't have DDR3 for the demo). So I started trying some things and soon I found out I only get this error when I put a stick in memory slot 1 or 2. So this means channel A doesn't work. Right now I'm running single channel with 2x1gb in slot 3 and 4 but naturally I want to be running dual channel.

So my question is: is there a way to fix this or is it a hardware issue and should I send it back?

Edit: this memory kit is in the black ops supported ram list that's on this forum so that's not the problem.

Broken
09-30-2008, 03:31 PM
What ram divider are you using? MY board will do the 54 and continuous beep if I use some of the ram dividers.

Gendo
09-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I am currently using the 2:3 divider in single channel but this doesn't work in dual. I believe I have also tried the 1:1 in dual but to make sure I'll try all dividers with 333 and 400 fsb. Will have to do it in the morning tho cause my mother and brother are asleep and the beeping might wake them up:P

saaya
09-30-2008, 07:30 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190952

54 with beeping
This POST Code is a part of the above initial memory configuration and testing Codes, but If the Debug LEDs display 54 with a lot of beeping, it might be something else. When you apply new settings in BIOS and hit save and exit you might get this error. It doesnt NECESSARILY mean that the settings you tried to apply dont work. Keep the power button pressed for 4 seconds to shut the board down - wait 10 seconds - then power the board on again. OC revocery will kick in, enter BIOS but just hit "save and exit" and see if the settings work now. If you get error 54 with beeps again the settings your trying wont work, most likely cause the memory cant take it. Check if the set of memory has been tested by us or any other user, search for topics/threads in the foxconn section about this set of memory to see how other users are configuring it.

Sounds like your memory isnt stable, could you post the detailled settings?
what vdimm, what speed, what divider, what cpu, what fsb etc?
hope you didnt wake up anybody :D

Broken
09-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Mine did it today. I dropped my system back to stock because I was getting glitches and noticed my Memory was failing in 1 second when running Prime95 Blend. Also did it running CPU stock and memory downclocked. Thought My OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600 dimms were going bad. Next day on a whim I changed them from the blue slots to the white slots and stopped getting errors and crashes. Today decided to crank it back up to 4.05Ghz(9x1800) and changed my Ram Divider to (I think) 1:3 which made my Memory run at something like 1351. Rebooted and got no post error code 54. Powered down and rebooted and used the 1:2.66, (again I think) which gave me 1200 on my memory. That posted.

Should I be worried my Ram sucks in the Blue slots? I didn't have that problem before so is my memory controller going south?

saaya
09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
i dont think so, while shamino and others said they get the best mem ocs in the blue slots the white ones always did better for me :shrug:
those mem speeds are way low, 2x2gb sticks? what timings?

Broken
09-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Have not tried to find my sweet spot yet. 7-7-7-20 right now, pretty much what the board boots up with. That is why I was kind of worried about my board if it can't handle my dimms at 1200 7-7-7-20 1.8v in the blue slots. I get memory failure about 1-2 seconds in Prime95 Blend. I can see that if I was trying to push 1600+ but that doesn't seem right. I guess I can forget about running 4 dimms down the road if I ever needed too. :down:

Yeah, they are the 2x2GB DDR3-1600 kit.

Ryan12
09-30-2008, 10:26 PM
my DDR3 2x1gb 1600 c9 mem will not hit 1600.... just simply will not do it... 1441 is the highest even with real loose timings... Already got a replacement lot of memory so i guess i can rule that out... even more volts to the memory wont do it...

Catz
10-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Gendo is currently trying to get the board to work with different dividers.. i'm certain he'll post again if anything shows up

Gendo
10-01-2008, 08:32 AM
I am somewhat confused at the moment.:p: It seems @333 fsb the board works with all dividers but 1:4 200. With 400 fsb none of the 1:4 dividers work but all the others do. Appearently the board thinks it's funny to pick the 1:4 200 divider after a clear. It chooses the only divider that doesn't work with a 333 fsb.:clap:

Aaah well I'm happy I got my board to run in dual channel again:D Maybe it's time to update the bios too tho as I am running the factory one which is from June.

TheGanG
10-01-2008, 08:45 AM
i dont think so, while shamino and others said they get the best mem ocs in the blue slots the white ones always did better for me :shrug:
those mem speeds are way low, 2x2gb sticks? what timings?

I use my single Kingston Hyperx 14400 (1800) up to 2000 MHz & any combination with no problem. That stick is not mine, so i decided to buy my own pair as soon as i can (free time matter)... Any advice? OCing 2*2 gigz good or 2*1 gigz re better?

Catz
10-01-2008, 09:00 AM
I am somewhat confused at the moment.:p: It seems @333 fsb the board works with all dividers but 1:4 200. With 400 fsb none of the 1:4 dividers work but all the others do. Appearently the board thinks it's funny to pick the 1:4 200 divider after a clear. It chooses the only divider that doesn't work with a 333 fsb.:clap:

Aaah well I'm happy I got my board to run in dual channel again:D Maybe it's time to update the bios too tho as I am running the factory one which is from June.

Yeey, no rma for you then :D

saaya
10-06-2008, 02:43 AM

hmmm wel as far as i remember it changes depending on what cpu you have (default 333 or default 400) and what spd profiles your memory has.
sorry that this can cause a bit of confusion, as soon as i set up all the lab systems ill run some tests and will check what works and doesnt work etc, ok? :D

I use my single Kingston Hyperx 14400 (1800) up to 2000 MHz & any combination with no problem. That stick is not mine, so i decided to buy my own pair as soon as i can (free time matter)... Any advice? OCing 2*2 gigz good or 2*1 gigz re better?sorry for not replying sooner! 2x1 is def easier to oc, but ive seen good ocs with the samsung based 2gb sticks clocking almost as good as the 1gb sticks!
for micron chips 2gb sticks tend to clock 10% worse than 1gb sticks.

so 2000mhz 1gb sticks or 1800 2gb sticks pretty much...
of course you can push them higher but thats a lot of tweaking and might require high volts :)

negev
10-06-2008, 03:03 AM
Every now and then if I change something in the bios (even if its not memory related), on reboot the board will go into 54 error beeping. If I power off and back on again its fine, and prime95 blend runs for 12 hours without error... i think its a bios glitch :)

saaya
10-06-2008, 04:06 AM
Every now and then if I change something in the bios (even if its not memory related), on reboot the board will go into 54 error beeping. If I power off and back on again its fine, and prime95 blend runs for 12 hours without error... i think its a bios glitch :)

it has to do with the memory timing code...
basically, if the memory is pushed to the edge, and you make a warm reboot, some things get reset, others like the automated memory controller fine tuning that happens at every hard boot, remains the same...

so that can cause some issues, some stuff gets reset, some remains the same...

if you use a hard reset, ie force the memory controller to recalibarate, then itll usually work without any issues, just like powering off and on like you do it :D

i asked the bios engineers if there is nothing they can do to fix this and they looked into it for a while but couldnt really change it, so then we asked them to look into higher fsb clocks and better memory clocking etc instead and not spend time on this :D

its a bit annoying, but in the end its not a huge issue imo.
you can easily fix it by adding more wait cycles for a warm reboot, but then you slow down warm reboots a lot which is annoying again, so... :D