PDA

View Full Version : Hdd Dead Help!!!!

foR
09-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Bought from playtech.co.nz on the 13/02/2008 (yes I have docket infront of me)

Seagate 500GB 7200.11 SATA2 32MB Drive.

Turned PC on when I got home and wondered why some apps didn't load, only to find the HDD was not showing up in my computer.

It does not show in my computer or BIOS, but yet it spins up. I've changed sata and power cables and tried another PC to no avail and I don't have $750 NZD to send it away to get recoverd..

Ans suggestions please the data is everything I have!

Thanks in advance

foR

Kian
10-03-2008, 06:25 PM
If it's indeed dead and not due to some connection problem you might try putting it in a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer for about 45min. to 1hr and plugging it back in to see it that works. Other steps you could try is if you have another identical HDD the try replacing the dead HDD with another working logistic board. Now with regard to getting the data off, since your HDD is still spinning you could use a program called DDrescue which doesn't require the drive to work, just that it needs to spin. If all fails, as a last resort you could try opening the HDD and taking out the platters and putting it in another drive.(requires to be in somewhat dust free environment and wearing gloves & mask to prevent contamination of the platters.)

tiro_uspsss
10-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Bought from playtech.co.nz on the 13/02/2008 (yes I have docket infront of me)

Seagate 500GB 7200.11 SATA2 32MB Drive.

Turned PC on when I got home and wondered why some apps didn't load, only to find the HDD was not showing up in my computer.

It does not show in my computer or BIOS, but yet it spins up. I've changed sata and power cables and tried another PC to no avail and I don't have $750 NZD to send it away to get recoverd..

Ans suggestions please the data is everything I have!

Thanks in advance

foR

$750 is a bargain :rolleyes:
many moons ago I was in a similar situation.. I rang a place that does data recovery.. iirc their 'check it out & if possible, save 1GB' fee was $500.. after that first 1GB the fee was something like $500 per 10GB recovered.. something like that, cant quite remember.. what I do remember is my heart sinking to my feet when I heard the prices..

Dr_Swizz
10-04-2008, 07:30 AM
There are hobbyists & semiprofessionals that do harddrive recovery for a reasonable price.
* Freeze the harddrive is BAD.
* Removing the drive platters will make impossible to recover the data.

Look at the videos/presentations on this site:
http://www.myharddrivedied.com/presentations.html
There is plenty of information on how to do DIY harddrive recovery. God luck!