PDA

View Full Version : LCD input lag

idkfa
09-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Hey all, just upgraded my CRT to a 24" LCD but am disappointed because of the amount of input lag. The screen I got is the Digimate L2442WD-VA. Anyone else gone from CRT to LCD and noticed this? Is it something you can get used to or should I send it back? Are there any 24" LCDs out there that have 0 input lag?

M31
09-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey all, just upgraded my CRT to a 24" LCD but am disappointed because of the amount of input lag. The screen I got is the Digimate L2442WD-VA. Anyone else gone from CRT to LCD and noticed this? Is it something you can get used to or should I send it back? Are there any 24" LCDs out there that have 0 input lag?

I'm not to sure about the model you speak of, but yes ... you will have a bit more lag on an LCD Monitor compared to what the best CRT Monitors used to offer.

This kind of lag is normally associated with Gamers/Uber Gamers/Professional Gamers.

Are you one of those Guys?

Since I'm a mere mortal part time gamer ... i can live with any lag my LCD's give me :)

Does this lag you see give you any real problems ... real time in computing, or is one of those things you get used to?

If so ... go back to CRT, but you will miss so much by not upgrading to a good quality modern LCD :)

Heh.

This whole Uber Gamer need for a fast response LCD is probably a myth ... in real life I cant whip my head around from left to right as quick as i could in COD4 on my slowest mouse ... try it.

Totally unrealistic :cool:

Corsa
09-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Check out the Benq V2400W http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1317302

zanzabar
09-27-2008, 07:35 PM
If so ... go back to CRT, but you will miss so much by not upgrading to a good quality modern LCD :)

Heh.

This whole Uber Gamer need for a fast response LCD is probably a myth ... in real life I cant whip my head around from left to right as quick as i could in COD4 on my slowest mouse ... try it.

Totally unrealistic :cool:

there is 2 things 1) no LCD under $10k will match a mitsu or trinitron crt, and 2) the lag isnt from the monitor per say since the total system response is 20-23ms its from the micro tearing (60hrz or lower refresh if your eyes can see higher, most people are 50-72) from low hrz, and having a screen refresh lower than the game so it has to interpolate the input @ 60 hrz to a game thats 95 or 100 ticks (sink with the server), its like hrz they are equivalent, ideally u need the the same or more hrz on the display as ticks to the server). so source a 100hrz monitor and COD4 a 95 or u will notice the transition

i would suggest if it bothers u to get the $600 samsung 120hrz lcd thats out in small samples and will be in full swing by christmas time

Nasgul
09-28-2008, 04:56 AM
I just switch from an 8 year old CRT 22" to a Samsung ToC 24" monitor and I see no difference.......except the quality of the picture has gone up very noticeably.

I'm glad I waited this long for LCDs to be better than my old CRT IMO. I see no difference at all, except the huge resolution of 1920x1200 vs 1280x1024.

enteon
09-28-2008, 05:29 AM
the lag isnt from the monitor per say since the total system response is 20-23ms its from the micro tearing (60hrz or lower refresh if your eyes can see higher, most people are 50-72) from low hrz, and having a screen refresh lower than the game so it has to interpolate the input @ 60 hrz to a game thats 95 or 100 ticks (sink with the server), its like hrz they are equivalent, ideally u need the the same or more hrz on the display as ticks to the server). so source a 100hrz monitor and COD4 a 95 or u will notice the transition

i would suggest if it bothers u to get the $600 samsung 120hrz lcd thats out in small samples and will be in full swing by christmas time

and to put it simple: overdrive is to blame ;)
in fact there are many LCDs without overdrive, but these are mostly more expensive than the cheap (e.g. TN panel) ones.

well, i'm happy with my 200€ 22" 6-bit TN panel :D
although i noticed an input lag the first time i played but this either soon faded (burn-in time?) or i just got used to it. by now i don't have anything to complain about :up: