PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro help

SPQQKY
07-27-2002, 02:01 PM
Out of the blue, WinXP Pro has been giving me this message box.....

This system is in use and is locked and can only be unlocked by SPQQKY/Dominic

It has a space to enter a password. Nothing has changed since yesterday, what gives?

I would also like to disable all those unnecassery processes that are running but don't want to disable something I need. Can someone point me in the right direction here?
I just use WinXP for normal everyday things like surfing and gaming. Thanks in advance.

TheDude
07-27-2002, 04:04 PM
HI,

I have not had this happen in XP...but at work with Windows 2000 ..I get calls on it all the time. Did it happen after you left the pc for a while...while you were still logged in?

You can try replacing your id with the word " administrator" and using the administrative password that you chose when you installed XP (assuming that you installed it). Then you can go into admin tools in control panel..then computer management..then local users and groups and set a password for your id.

If that doesn't work..try doing a control alt delete and select the logoff option under users....or shutdown ...hopefully it will just reboot and not ask you for a password ( I asssume you don't have one or have forgotten it. If it does ask..login as admin and set a password as described above.

I am not sure why it is asking you for a password and locking on you. Check to see if your screen saver is set for a certain time and is password protected. You might also check your local security policies to see if something is set in there to cause this.

As for killing unused processes...just do a Google search for XP tips or tweaks. It should be easy to find and is too lengthy to really go into here. Make sure to check your dependencies before disabling a process. And it may be best for most of them to just set them to manual so they will be available if needed..they just will not start automaticlly.
I hope this helps!

Svenn
07-27-2002, 04:11 PM
This (http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services/index.shtml) is a good guide for WinXP Services. Check it out.

TheDude
07-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Excellent link! for your services question SPQQKY.

Thanks Svenn!

Svenn
07-27-2002, 04:30 PM
No problem, I think someone on here pointed me to it. It was great. Just about every services setting, what it's used for, and recommended settings.