PDA

View Full Version : A little noob qn on the EK DDC top....

Jiangxue
09-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Well I've been reading a lot about acrylic parts failing lately, and since I'm a noob I've decided to play safe and order EK acetal tops for my DDCs instead of acrylic ones. :p:

The question I have is.... which is the correct EK ddc top to order? I notice there are G1/4 and G3/8 ones, and they both can use custom fittings. I have 2 pcs to be watercooled... one using 1/2" barbs and one using 3/8 barbs.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.... thanks in advance! :D

Jaivan
09-27-2008, 12:41 AM
I think you should get the G1/4 threaded ones since there is a larger selection of G1/4 barbs.
Also the G1/4 barbs come in both 1/2'' and 3/8'' flavors.

dopestuff
09-27-2008, 12:41 AM
pretty much all fitings these days have 1/4 thread
and for what top to choose i think there are some pump top shootouts round here ;)

Jiangxue
09-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Okay! I see! Thanks guys! G1/4 it is.... :D

I did read on the different pump tops on martin's site and saw that the XSPC is the main "winner" but its acrylic and the recent spate of reports on failures of acrylic/xspc qc just freaks me... since mine is gonna be an international order all the way from Singapore I want it as fuss free as possible. :D

TI66ER
09-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Just got an xspc acrylic top for my pump,which is the pump section from a apogee drive,modded to a 355 pump with an xspc top on it.I am amazed how fast the flow is with this top on,even though it is going through my apogee gt cpu block and radiator.

IanY
09-27-2008, 03:58 AM
There is nothing wrong with the (3) XSPC Acrylic Reservoir tops or (1) XSPC Acrylic Top that I own...:up:

The problem was with the threading awhile back. It was nothing more than a bad batch. Wow, people sure do go overboard here sometimes...

You obviously haven't joined the bash-acrylic campaign. :p:

IanY
09-27-2008, 04:03 AM
Well I've been reading a lot about acrylic parts failing lately, and since I'm a noob I've decided to play safe and order EK acetal tops for my DDCs instead of acrylic ones. :p:

The question I have is.... which is the correct EK ddc top to order? I notice there are G1/4 and G3/8 ones, and they both can use custom fittings. I have 2 pcs to be watercooled... one using 1/2" barbs and one using 3/8 barbs.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.... thanks in advance! :D

Jiangxue,

Greetings to you in SG, where I was once from.

Look here. One pump top has barb threads with a radius of 3/4 inch and the other has barb threads with a radius of 1/2 inch. EK barbs are readily available in G-1/4 and G-3/8 threading. They are both the same price.

What's the analogy? Here is a car. It comes in 4 cylinder and V6. Same price. Naw.. thanks. I prefer the 4 cylinder. Many more people have the 4 cylinder version. They are more readily available (even though the manufacturer has a more than ample supply of parts). I see fewer BMWs in SG than I see Hondas. So, BMWs must be inferior.

Why would you ever want the pump top with marginally decreased performance?? Its not logical.

I know which I would choose... the G-3/8.

IanY
09-27-2008, 04:05 AM
Remember the sheep.......:shocked:

Remember the shepard lol

Jiangxue
09-27-2008, 04:51 AM
@RRR: hmmm, yeah I'm getting quite a headache now as the XSPC is cheaper and has better flow rate.... I shouldn't quite condemn them now because of an unlucky batch right? :p:

@TI66ER: That's good to hear! I'll be running it with a mod top + EK 250 res + MCR320 + GTZ + EK NB/SB-5.... flow rate according to martin's estimator shouldn't be too bad... though that brings me to my next dilemma of whether I should use an EK Supreme (which I already have) or the GTZ (which I'm about to order). heh.

@IanY: Hello from Singapore! :D Well that's an interesting analogy... yes I've seen the G3/8 perform better from martin's tests. But the thing is I'll be trying to fit BP compression fittings on them... unless mr. evil's s3xy clamps are gonna be out sometime soon enough for me to order.... :(

TI66ER
09-27-2008, 04:59 AM
If its the apogee drive you will be using,its worth doing the 350/355 mod,its so easy and makes a differance.You can even put a switch on it to switch between 10/18w power.

Jiangxue
09-27-2008, 05:19 AM
If its the apogee drive you will be using,its worth doing the 350/355 mod,its so easy and makes a differance.You can even put a switch on it to switch between 10/18w power.

Nope... I've actually got quite a bit of w/c stuff on me coz I'll be cooling 2 rigs....

The first is a DFI LT X48 with a Q9450... which I've planned the following setup to be housed in a Lian Li A71:

Swiftech GTZ
EK NB/SB-5
Swiftech MCR320
MCP 355 with XSPC pump top
EK multioption res 250

I'll be ordering an extra 355 in case I wanna do a 2nd loop for the gfx in future...

The second is my 24/7 rig... which is an EVGA 680i with an E7200 in a Lian Li A10:

EK Supreme
Swiftech MCR 220
Swiftech Micro Res
MCP655 + EK D5 top

Haven't exactly decided whether I should swap the 2 cpu blocks tho.... they are both good stuff :up: but I've paired the GTZ in the loop with 2 blocks coz its less restrictive...

I'm humbly open to any advice of course :D

IanY
09-27-2008, 05:21 AM
In that case, then use the G-1/4 top :p:

Having to convert from G-3/8 to G-1/4 is a PITA :)

I left SG more than 2 decades ago.. after my "time" :)

Jiangxue
09-28-2008, 03:40 AM
In that case, then use the G-1/4 top :p:

Having to convert from G-3/8 to G-1/4 is a PITA :)

I left SG more than 2 decades ago.. after my "time" :)

Thanks IanY, all the various fittings are giving me a headache... compressions are pretty but they don't fit on quite a number of stuff unless its for 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tubings. :(

I hope to someday be able to live overseas too... maybe move to Holland where my boyfriend's extended family lives. :p: The hot and humid weather over here drives me NUTS. :mad: