PDA

View Full Version : Which Block For a Quad?

GameGuru
09-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Been trying to decide which block to get and after reading through a million posts I'm still undecided so I was hoping for a little help. I'll be using just one loop and the parts are as follows.

Q6600
MW60 (4870)
PA120.3
Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech DDCT

Was thinking either the EK Supreme or the FuZion with Quad insert. Of course any other recommendations would be great as well :up:

Thanks!

GameGuru
09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Either of those blocks will do fine, but don't use the Fuzion V2 with a quad nozzle. Just use the stock one that comes with it as it performs better even with a quad core CPU.

That being said, out of those two blocks, I'd go with a EK Supreme with clear top if it were my choice based on a slightly better thermal performance, and the clear top helps you keep a eye on the block for any clogging that might take place. Plus, IMO a much better looking block.

andyc

Well I'll go out on a limb here, I have to agree with McCoffey...:up:

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it, XS rules. I'll have to say that the EK looks pretty sexy and would be perfect for what I have in mind for my next build. I think I'll pick it up with a bunch of Bitspower fittings. :)

BreeSpree
09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
This is a hard question to answer, especially considering there have been so many Fuzion V2 vs. Ek Supreme threads so far. In the end just choose whichever you think looks cooler at this point. Your pump is strong enough for the Supreme, and the Fuzion has been tested and true for a long time. The Apogee GTZ is also another option available too, but for a quad, I would say go Ek Supreme...

BlueAqua
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
I think the performance difference is negligible and you should just go with what you like best. I think the Fuzion is a great functioning block but a bit on the boring side. The EK Supreme is a bit more appealing to me.

The Ek Supreme must be good, why else would they call is SUPREME!>!? :rofl:

I just installed a Swiftech GTZ and have to say that went really smooth. I haven't tested temperatures yet but previous testing results prove it's a top competitor like the Fuzion and Supreme.

There are just so many good options right now.

For bang/buck you can't beat the Fuzion V1:
http://www.petrastechshop.com/dfuuncpubl1.html

majestik
09-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Note that EK Supreme has a hidden cost of having to buy a separate backplate. Performance is nearly identical, though.

I would buy whatever is in stock/on sale/looks prettier to you.

majestik
09-24-2008, 04:15 PM
So, an EK Supreme is $1 cheaper but is out of stock and doesn't have a backplate.
Personally I wouldn't care about spending $6 more on an EK. The problem is that it's constantly out of stock.

majestik
09-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Ever wonder why ??? ;)
Because it's made in slovenia and they can't ship worth a :banana::banana::banana::banana: (http://blog.petrastech.com/index.php?itemid=9).

And because you probably bought half the stock :yepp::ROTF:

twwen2
09-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Well I'll go out on a limb here, I have to agree with McCoffey...:up:

I ran Martin's estimator and got the following flowrate data: (I inserted 7' of 1/2"ID tubing and a reservoir)

EK Supreme Loop - 1.28gpm

D-TEK FuZion v2 - 1.94gpm

If you've read my posts here at XS, you will know that IanY/NaeKuh/RRR (R3) are big proponents of HighFlow loops. Having said that, IMO the EK Supreme is the better block for you. I say this, due to the fact, I am a big fan of the "narrow/long channel" base plate design, rather than the "pin matrix" design. The EK delivers more of a high pressure blasting effect (see low flow rate), that appeals to me more. Also, the oversized base plate of the EK, IMO is better suited for the upcoming i7 core processors...:up:

IMO, the EK Supreme is pure watercooling prOn.... :shocked:

Hope this helped, whatever you decide to buy, just enjoy it and have fun...:up:

Well done R3! :eek: ;)

All those are very valid points. I also like the design of the Supreme, although not everyone likes the "strainer plate"...

luxbel
09-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Any particular reason why no one really talks about DD's MC-TDX? Martin's tests on the block make it an impressive pin matrix block compared to the existing contenders.

Martinm210
09-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I'm still working on the testing of it. It appears stock to be roughly on par with a Fuzion V1, but I think it has alot of potential if you make a custom slot style nozzle for it. It has a depressed section of pins that's just crying for a nozzle...I'll have to try that. Or maybe a custom midblock with a large array of jets?

luxbel
09-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh, yeah, I know the jury is still out on the thermal testing (I guess Martin is working through that list as we type this), but being a low restriction block, it might be a good option in multiple block loops. I know that flow rate is only one aspect and probably not the determining one. i just thought since a lot of you guys have collectively gone through several blocks in your different builds, there might of been a general "wisdom" on that type of block.

Boogerlad
09-24-2008, 05:37 PM
can't go wrong with a gtz either. Better flow and eneough room for some compression fittings.

Stealth42o
09-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Because it's made in slovenia and they can't ship worth a :banana::banana::banana::banana: (http://blog.petrastech.com/index.php?itemid=9).

I had a few blocks shipped form there. I took a few weeks to get here. When I checked "Air mail" I thought of it being on a jumbo jet or something.

I think it came in this though.
http://i.pbase.com/u27/mrquietguy/upload/16226947.P5030420a.jpg

The debate "Which block should I get" is getting kinda ridiculous. From what I have read from martin, the difference between the best and worst is 1-2 degree's. They are all great blocks. Like above, just pick out which on you like the best and have fun.

IanY
09-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweat from the recurring nightmares of jet impingement blocks :rofl:

In a seperate nightmare, I'm placed in this nasty cracked acrylic casket with EK stamped on one side and XSPC stamped on the other, and DD cutout design on the top :ROTF: I wouldn't wish acrylic on my enemies :p:

Utnorris
09-24-2008, 07:58 PM
I wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweat from the recurring nightmares of jet impingement blocks :rofl:

In a seperate nightmare, I'm placed in this nasty cracked acrylic casket with EK stamped on one side and XSPC stamped on the other, and DD cutout design on the top :ROTF: I wouldn't wish acrylic on my enemies :p:

You forgot the DD sticker that states "Do not Remove" on the side. :D

LinusTech
09-24-2008, 08:20 PM
APOGEE GTZ is a good choice and a good price this week on special ;)

/blatant advertising.

AndrewZorn
09-24-2008, 08:28 PM

And because you probably bought half the stock :yepp::ROTF:
WOW. Watch the video at the end of that. Total ignorance, and I'm not trying to be mean. Even AFTER everyone tried to help, the guy was being a total :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

They discredit people trying to help.
There are visible bubbles in the waterblock.
The MCP655 apparantly collapsed their tubing because it was so strong (yeah...).
The CPU temperatures seem really low... they're actually decent to good BEFORE they fix the setup.

fatman
09-24-2008, 08:50 PM
WOW. Watch the video at the end of that. Total ignorance, and I'm not trying to be mean. Even AFTER everyone tried to help, the guy was being a total :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

They discredit people trying to help.
There are visible bubbles in the waterblock.
The MCP655 apparantly collapsed their tubing because it was so strong (yeah...).
The CPU temperatures seem really low... they're actually decent to good BEFORE they fix the setup.

haha yea he was. o well

GameGuru
09-24-2008, 10:46 PM
So I've made up my mind and going to go with the EK. PP has the block in stock Here (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=199&products_id=23172) and the back plate Here (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=410&products_id=23174). Although they seem to be a little bit more expensive than others but oh well I guess.

So my next question I have is what size tubing and fittings to go with. I know for sure that I want the Bitspower/DD compression fittings but need to make sure they fit my blocks. I'll be using an MCW60, EK multi res, PA120.3 and of course the Supreme.

Originally posted by RealRedRaider

Remember BP Compressions (1/2" x 3/4") will fit the EK Supreme... Thanks for the info RRR. Maybe I'll end up using 1/2" :shrug:

You guys have been a great deal of help, I appreciate it :up:

HaCKs
09-25-2008, 08:25 AM
I am VERY happy with my MC-TDX. Keeps qx9770 @ 4.0GHZ pretty cool and as you've heard it is very nonrestrictive so if you have a one loop system it will make a big difference on the rest of your system and pump life.

+1 for DD! Besides, they've been building blocks since before any of these companies were even an idea.

NaeKuh
09-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Either of those blocks will do fine, but don't use the Fuzion V2 with a quad nozzle. Just use the stock one that comes with it as it performs better even with a quad core CPU.
andyc

Andy i thought that only applies to yorkfield with smaller cores?

Or does that apply to all quadcores including kentsfield?

majestik
09-25-2008, 09:32 AM
APOGEE GTZ is a good choice and a good price this week on special ;)

/blatant advertising.

Bugger, I bought a GTZ from you 1 day before that.

Well... actually it was from directcanada but we all know it's the same place
;)

Zw_Roodbaard
09-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Personally I think a GTZ because this is a little bit better then the Supreme or the Fuzion V2.

But first you should read a few reviews before you listen to some people on the forums :)

GameGuru
09-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, especially you RRR. That link about the orientation is really good info and worth the read for anyone with the Supreme. Now I just need to figure out all the right size tubing, fittings and barbs :shrug:

Oh, and thanks for the PM :up:

BiFfMaN
09-25-2008, 11:18 AM

That brought back some nostalgic memorys of the days when the Best watercooling setups had Jet Impingement Blocks. People would kill their Moms for such a device.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-13990.html