PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking questions

hawkeyefan
09-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey all, back since a long hiatus from MJ12.

Have a 7k/768 connection now. Suggestions for worker/bucket numbers? I'm having a hard time maxing it out.

Frisch
09-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Hawkeye.

4 mbit 200 workers
8 mbit 300 workers

Just max the buckets, the program will control it.

hawkeyefan
09-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks Frisch.

Now I'm getting just an insane amount of errors with something like 10% success rate. Time to start tinkering around but any idea what could be causing this?

Mine is an ADSL line with a router using DHCP behind a dumb modem. I can't remember how I had things configured before to be honest. Any ideas as to what might be causing such a high error rate?

Frisch
09-23-2008, 09:02 PM
When you start up hard from empty, with full throttle, the errors will be higher, let it settle ...though 10 % is way too low ....

Have you got some info domains there too ... that combined with a hard start can really get errors up ...that's my experience ...

Let it fill up, settle, and give a feedback.

hawkeyefan
09-23-2008, 09:12 PM
When you start up hard from empty, with full throttle, the errors will be higher, let it settle ...though 10 % is way too low ....

Have you got some info domains there too ... that combined with a hard start can really get errors up ...that's my experience ...

Let it fill up, settle, and give a feedback.

Will do Frisch and thanks again my turtley friend.

It's been a while so I'm trying to remember how I had everything set up when I last ran MJ12, from settings to the router configuration. I'll let it run overnight and see what I come up with, then will report back here.

I didn't check any specific domains. Should I? It's probably running the gamut right now.

Paladin
09-24-2008, 05:38 AM
Check your event logs for 4226. It's quite likely one of the umpteen M$ patches has restricted tcpip.sys to a low number of max connections (to protect you from Denial Of Service flood attacks). This happened to me quite a few times. MJ12 error % got much better after I repatched it to 10000-50000 from 10.

Frisch
09-24-2008, 02:47 PM
What Paladin is referring to, is this Patch (http://www.majestic12.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576&highlight=patch), which I have installed too ... it does make a difference ....

hawkeyefan
09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
What Paladin is referring to, is this Patch (http://www.majestic12.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576&highlight=patch), which I have installed too ... it does make a difference ....

Yup, I did find that last night and installed it. Set limit to 255. Is that high enough or do I need to find another method to patch for more half-open connections? I also tinkered with main thread priority and set affinity to Core1 as that seemed to help when I was last running MJ12, iirc.

Now waiting for some barrels to see if this all helps. Thanks again guys.:up:

hawkeyefan
09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Alright, getting HUGE numbers of DNS and connection errors. Timeouts and everything else are within acceptable margins.

Any idea what could be causing this or how to fix it? I'll probably post to the MJ12 forums and see what Alex thinks.

hawkeyefan
09-25-2008, 07:51 PM
GAH!!!! Got it figured out. LOL.

Reset my router a while back to defaults to deal with some networking crap and forgot to adjust my IP filter settings. So I'm an idiot, and now capping bandwidth with 275 workers w/many fewer errors, and will increase that after I see how it goes.:up:

Getting old and forgetting stuff.:(:shakes: Is this what it's going to be like from here on out Dave?:D

Frisch
09-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I had a suspicion that you went up to 300 workers.

You have to have a 8mbit for that.

275 follows the math fine.

You should be somewhere in between 250 - 280 with a 7 mbit.

Glad it worked out ......turtle will find a stone and rest for the night ......

hawkeyefan
09-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Should I back down to 280 or so then? I put to 300 just to see what would happen and it's holding steady @ 88.2% successes after an hour.:shrug:

Thanks again for the help and sleep well.

hawkeyefan
09-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Looks to be all sorted now unless I'm missing something.

85% success rate steady for a couple days with 280 workers. Big difference having new lines to the DSLAM and to the house makes apparently, and a new router. I had tons of problems last time I ran this but it's going much better now. Faster DSL service helps too. :D:clap:

Thanks again for the help.

[XC] moddolicous
09-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Glad to hear you are back hawkeyefan. I finally figured out a little bit more on vista networking and I think I have mine set up pretty well. 4mb/4mb. Had a little problem with uploads but all seems well.

hawkeyefan
10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
moddolicous;3321938']Glad to hear you are back hawkeyefan. I finally figured out a little bit more on vista networking and I think I have mine set up pretty well. 4mb/4mb. Had a little problem with uploads but all seems well.

Thanks moddolicious. Glad to hear you got things working on Vista.:up:

hawkeyefan
10-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Crap, I woke up this morning to a 22% success rate from overnight. Shut down MJ12, opened command prompt and had to do ipconfig /flushdns command. Again. Is there a workaround for this?

Frisch
10-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Crap, I woke up this morning to a 22% success rate from overnight. Shut down MJ12, opened command prompt and had to do ipconfig /flushdns command. Again. Is there a workaround for this?

:shrug::(

hawkeyefan
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
:shrug::(

Think I got it figured out. Reinstalled Vista but forgot to tweak the TCP/IP settings as I had previously. Seems to be all good now.

[XC] moddolicous
10-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Glad to hear you figured it out. If you want to read a little bit about vista networking, go to this page:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878127.aspx
Basically, in Windows XP, you had a set TCPwindowsize. If you had it set wrong, then you were losing out on your potential bandwidth. In windows vista, the tcpwindowsize varies on what you download and what you upload. It is supposed to make browsing a lot faster. There are some things you can try messing with in that page.

[XC] riptide
10-08-2008, 07:18 AM
You can turn off the auto tweaking aswell. :) And you can download a patch to up the number of concurrent connection attempts your version of tcpip.sys allows.

hawkeyefan
10-09-2008, 08:50 PM
moddolicous;3341340']Glad to hear you figured it out. If you want to read a little bit about vista networking, go to this page:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878127.aspx
Basically, in Windows XP, you had a set TCPwindowsize. If you had it set wrong, then you were losing out on your potential bandwidth. In windows vista, the tcpwindowsize varies on what you download and what you upload. It is supposed to make browsing a lot faster. There are some things you can try messing with in that page.

Thanks for the link moddolicious. Reading through that now, and some of those tweaks I've performed as linked below, which seems to help tremendously. Your link is a much more clear explanation of what is going on so I'll have a second look.:up:

riptide;3342563']You can turn off the auto tweaking aswell. :) And you can download a patch to up the number of concurrent connection attempts your version of tcpip.sys allows.

Cheers, rip:clap:

This is the link I've been using in the past for tweaking TCP/IP in Vista, for anybody on the OS who is interested: Vista and 2k8 TCP/IP tweaks (http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=2574)