PDA

View Full Version : Aquaero - where best to place sensors

Vertigo1
09-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Well I've got my Aquaero hooked up but am wondering where the best place to put the temp sensors would be.

Am going to fit a water temp sensor so that's the primary measurement but where else would you place them, i.e. what temps would you measure to adjust fan speeds by?

Have hard drives and DDC pump in the bottom of the case with a fan blowing across so was going to put one or two down there to regulate that fan with but for the main case void should I be looking to place in/on/around intakes or radiators or somewhere else?

Eddie3dfx
09-22-2008, 06:15 AM
I screen captured this from the pdf of Innovatek's Fan-O-Matic.

Essentially this is a air-out sensor from the fans or at least close to it.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1711/inlinesensorqz9.jpg

RickCain
09-22-2008, 06:21 AM
I typically do the following on my Aquaero:

1 - water temp (controls the fan speed on the radiator)
2 - RAM temp (controls the fan on the RAM)
3 - Incoming air temp (does nothing but report data)
4 - Outgoing air temp (does nothing but report data)
5 - Hard drive temp (so I can get it all from Aquasuite)

You can place a sensor right next to the CPU and use that to also adjust the fan speed but I found it would move too much due to all the changes I am constantly making to my system. Just make sure you set your tolerances so the fans are not constantly reving up and down. I then use Samurize to take my Aquaero data, MBM, and any other application to display on my desktop. You can get these from www.aquacomputer.de then go to support, download.

Eddie3dfx
09-22-2008, 06:23 AM
I typically do the following on my Aquaero:

1 - water temp (controls the fan speed on the radiator)
2 - RAM temp (controls the fan on the RAM)
3 - Incoming air temp (does nothing but report data)
4 - Outgoing air temp (does nothing but report data)
5 - Hard drive temp (so I can get it all from Aquasuite)

You can place a sensor right next to the CPU and use that to also adjust the fan speed but I found it would move too much due to all the changes I am constantly making to my system. Just make sure you set your tolerances so the fans are not constantly reving up and down. I then use Samurize to take my Aquaero data, MBM, and any other application to display on my desktop. You can get these from www.aquacomputer.de then go to support, download.

How do you measure the ram temp? I'm curious, because I want to install a ram sensor and test how well it watercools.
I'm thinking a small sensor between one module and the block.
It really bothers me aquasuite cannot read internal temps. This ultimately swayed my decision from picking one up.

YugenM
09-22-2008, 10:44 AM
If you're using LGA775, you can stick a probe between the stepped down bit of the IHS and the hinged cover thinger that holds it down.

dopestuff
09-22-2008, 11:16 AM
If you're using LGA775, you can stick a probe between the stepped down bit of the IHS and the hinged cover thinger that holds it down.
not just put it whit your thermal grease?? (between the cpu and the cooling block)
or is this not because it makes for bad contact whit cpu??

YugenM
09-22-2008, 11:31 AM
not just put it whit your thermal grease?? (between the cpu and the cooling block)
or is this not because it makes for bad contact whit cpu??

Makes for a bad contact if you put it between the waterblock and CPU

The location I suggested isn't the best place to place a thermal probe, but it makes for a good enough figure to manage fan speeds on

Eddie3dfx
09-22-2008, 12:41 PM

Can you show a picture of this?

I am going to pickup an Aquero LT and use the 6 sensors.

1 for hardrive, 1 for ram, 1 for cpu, 3 for radiators.

BlueAqua
09-22-2008, 01:00 PM
I would install a K-type temp probe there too for when I was using LN2. It just smashes the sensor on the edge of the cpu and the hold down bracket. It worked pretty well, but will be slightly off from core temps.

Vertigo1
09-22-2008, 01:39 PM
While I'm here, can anyone explain how you set up fans & sensors in Aquasuite? I'm specifically on about the linear and progressive methods here.

This is how I understand it; first you configure your temp sensors with a min and max value, which defines their operating range. So, for example I could have a sensor with a min of 25C and a max of 45C.
Now, I configure a fan to use this sensor and set its minimum value to 25%. Using the linear method, if the sensor is reading 30C then it works out how far through operating range of the sensor this is in percent [ (30-25)/(45-25) = 25% ] then sets the fan to this percentage of its operating speed, from min to max, so if the fan is set to 40% minimum speed, it'd be 25% of the remaining 60% (15%) plus the minimum of 25% to give 40% total speed.

Is this right or have I misunderstood somewhere?

YugenM
09-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Can you show a picture of this?

I am going to pickup an Aquero LT and use the 6 sensors.

1 for hardrive, 1 for ram, 1 for cpu, 3 for radiators.

I don't have any pictures of it so here is an attempt at a diagram instead:

http://xs231.xs.to/xs231/08391/lga775_copy257.jpg

Eddie3dfx
09-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the example. Now I need to find waterproof sensor for the 3 loops and then I'll just pickup basic sensors for things like cpu, ram, and hardrive.

YugenM
09-22-2008, 03:42 PM
http://www.sharkacomputers.com/niplintcofig.html
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=239&products_id=20435

?

Eddie3dfx
09-22-2008, 05:21 PM
I've seen a few people take the sensor and nudge it into the tubing where the barb is.
Has to be waterproof though.

headala
09-23-2008, 09:16 PM
I've done a couple of things that are pertinent:
1) careful with putting it under the edge of the socket latch; I crushed one of my probes like that and it doesn't work now :-(
2) I cut a McDonald's straw to about 1", put it just past the end of the probe (so that it covered the solder connections), and filled it up with silicone. So now it's a waterproof sensor. I used it down my fill line for about a year, no problem. Your best bet is to...
3) get a screw-in water temp probe. Lots of folks make them; they aren't too expensive. Last resort would be to...
4) tape a temp probe to the outside of the rad, opposite from where the inlet barb is, so that it's on the outside of where water's hitting on the inside. Thermal tape, then probe, then neoprene sticky pad to minimize ambient influence.

So I use one water, one hard drive, and one ambient temp. Don't even use up all the ports for one loop, but I have another loop coming up soooooooooooo...