PDA

View Full Version : Which fan

Solidsnake666
09-21-2008, 06:17 PM
I have to replace the fan on a bip 120 and was looking at either the scythe slip stream SY1225SL12SH or the s-flex SFF21G. Which would be better for this radiator? Or is there something in that price range and size that would be better?

Also I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy the feser xtender. Would it improve performance that much? And will I be able to use the screws that come with it or will I have to buy new bolts?

Thank you in advance!

ColonelCain
09-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Try this one: 120mm Yate Loon D12SM-12 Case Fan - Black (70.5 CFM, 33 dBA)
(http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa1.html)
When it gets back in stock, anyhow.

Best 120mm fan I have ever owned. Puts out a lot of air. Typically, people will get the next one up (88cfm), and undervolt it. But, I have two of these on my BIP220 which is hanging off the back of my case, and it is perfectly silient. And boy do these things pump out air.

Stealth42o
09-21-2008, 06:45 PM

Best 120mm fan I have ever owned. Puts out a lot of air. Typically, people will get the next one up (88cfm), and undervolt it. But, I have two of these on my BIP220 which is hanging off the back of my case, and it is perfectly silient. And boy do these things pump out air.

Agreed. If your looking for a 120x38 would highly recomned:
SCYTHE "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm 2000 (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=403&products_id=22539)

For the same reason stated above. You can get the 3000RPM and under volt them, however the 2k is more then enough IMO.

Solidsnake666
09-21-2008, 07:37 PM
well on this system i'm running a stock e8400 on a single bip120 (it's in a small case so there isn't much room for more) temps are decent but I'd like to get the most out of it i can. I had a yate loon high from petras on it and it died. just wanted to see if i could get something better. Not too worried about price or anything since it's only one fan.

Freaky Freezer
09-21-2008, 07:49 PM
snake, out of curiosity, what temps do/did you get with that single BIP120 and stock E8400?

Solidsnake666
09-21-2008, 07:58 PM
snake, out of curiosity, what temps do/did you get with that single BIP120 and stock E8400?

idle was reading about 45c with core temp and 55c load while playing crysis after about 45min-1hr. It's just my lan box so I'm not really benching or anything like that. I don't remember what ambient was and i can't run it right now without a fan. I don't know where it stands now but I know there was a lot going around about core temp reading it higher. But even if that's not true these temps are just fine for me. Just wondering if a better fan would get better results or if the feser thing would help, since I have to replace the fan anyway.

Stealth42o
09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
well on this system i'm running a stock e8400 on a single bip120 (it's in a small case so there isn't much room for more) temps are decent but I'd like to get the most out of it i can. I had a yate loon high from petras on it and it died. just wanted to see if i could get something better. Not too worried about price or anything since it's only one fan.

All yea need to know:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171661

If your referring to the feser shroud, yes it will help by removing the dead spot. How much, who knows. I am sure feser has some almost true numbers.

Solidsnake666
09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
All yea need to know:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171661

If your referring to the feser shroud, yes it will help by removing the dead spot. How much, who knows. I am sure feser has some almost true numbers.

I've looked at that review before and it doesn't include the s-flex g OR the slip stream SH. I think it might be getting a little dated since it's about 9 months old now and there are other fans out. Not to mention I've only seen little bits and pieces about the feser xtender that mostly say it helps and that review has nothing to do with the xtender.

AndrewZorn
09-21-2008, 08:13 PM

Was gonna say the same thing...

Hondacity
09-22-2008, 12:14 AM
if you're going to get the slipstream..you'll need the extender..i have the slipstream..its blowing the air towards the outside.....its quiet but the air stream(vortex?) leaves a big dead spot in the middle...

Solidsnake666
09-22-2008, 04:48 AM
Would the S-Flex be a better option because of this? And what if I get any of the other fans, Would the Feser xtender still improve performance? And I would still like to know if I need new screws for the xtender or if the ones included will fit the BIP rad.

WaterFlex
09-22-2008, 05:41 AM
SilenX iXtrema Pro 18dBa ( 120x120x38mm ) is very nice silent fan. I`d say it is the best.

Solidsnake666
09-22-2008, 05:59 AM
SilenX iXtrema Pro 18dBa ( 120x120x38mm ) is very nice silent fan. I`d say it is the best.

I Can't use that size if i use the xtender and am not going for silent. I just want to see what would give me the best performance since I'm replacing the fan. preferably in the 25mm thickness if possible. If the feser xtender and a 120mm fan will give me equal or better performance than a 38mm fan then I'll go for that. On the other hand if the 38mm will definitely give me better performance then so be it. Just trying to find out.

Hondacity
09-22-2008, 06:30 AM
for best performance i'd go for the kaze3000 they're 10$/ea at newegg.its loud but it performs well. i have a dozen of them but i use 2 fan controllers to tame them when i sleep. i run the fans in push pull config. 3 of them in pull config will do ok too.

if you can't afford the fancontrollers and don't want that 45db(really loud), i'd get the 3 slipstreams and do a pull config with them. and no more shrouds.i was thinking of the push config..but the pull config will definitely be better than push. good luck

Solidsnake666
09-22-2008, 06:45 AM
for best performance i'd go for the kaze3000 they're 10$/ea at newegg.its loud but it performs well. i have a dozen of them but i use 2 fan controllers to tame them when i sleep. i run the fans in push pull config. 3 of them in pull config will do ok too.

if you can't afford the fancontrollers and don't want that 45db(really loud), i'd get the 3 slipstreams and do a pull config with them. and no more shrouds.i was thinking of the push config..but the pull config will definitely be better than push. good luck

Thanks but this is a single 120 as i had said earlier. And being a smaller lan box there isn't room for push pull config. Not to mention if i figure out a way to do push pull it would look awful. Just trying to find a single fan solution that will improve performance

Hondacity
09-22-2008, 06:54 AM
get a kaze3000.... no shrouds.... if it doesn't fit...then the slipstream will do...

Bojamijams
09-22-2008, 08:20 AM
I love the S-FLEX fans.. I have the G's on a fan controller.. on full speed they can be a bit loud but the speed is there if you need it, I run them at 7V and are very quiet. 150,000 MTBF you can't complain about either.

Don't like sleeve bearing fans at all.

Hondacity
09-22-2008, 08:32 AM
the sflex series was designed primarily for reliability...it has high noise and low cfm based from scythes specs...the sflex has a bigger hub to accomodate that sony fluid bearing..
the slipstream is more or less perfected already...high cfm(fin design) ..small hub..silent too...

Shocker003
09-22-2008, 08:33 AM
You can try the SilverStone FM121B 120x120x25 out. It will keep your rad free from dust with it´s 186,9 m³/h ( 110 cfm ). I have three on my MCR360 and they do their jobs well. You can regulate the speed too.

http://www.alternate.de/html/product/Gehaeuse_Luefter/SilverStone/FM121B_120x120x25/161163/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Geh%C3%A4use&l2=L%C3%BCfter

Waterlogged
09-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Solidsnake, You already had one of the "better" fans in the YL SH. If you want to try a different fan, I would suggest the S-Flex E or F for a 25mm or a Scythe Kaze 2000 for a 38mm. Vapor did a test on the slipstream and found it to be almost as bad as the SilenX on radiators. It is however a good open air fan.

Solidsnake666
09-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Solidsnake, You already had one of the "better" fans in the YL SH. If you want to try a different fan, I would suggest the S-Flex E or F for a 25mm or a Scythe Kaze 2000 for a 38mm. Vapor did a test on the slipstream and found it to be almost as bad as the SilenX on radiators. It is however a good open air fan.

I normally order yates from petra's but have to order some other parts from another site so was hoping to order everything together. Especially since I really only need one fan. And when I first started water cooling I was warned about buying yate loons from sites other than petra's. Is this no longer valid? This, along with wondering if better performance was available, is why I was looking into other fans. If the slipstream is that bad then I won't bother. I trust vapors verdict on fans but if you could link me to a thread about it it would be much appreciated as I didn't see that fan when going through the fans sticky.

Hondacity
09-22-2008, 09:07 AM
i second that request..i don't see vapor reviewing the slipstream 115s...link please

Waterlogged
09-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I normally order yates from petra's but have to order some other parts from another site so was hoping to order everything together. Especially since I really only need one fan. And when I first started water cooling I was warned about buying yate loons from sites other than petra's. Is this no longer valid? This, along with wondering if better performance was available, is why I was looking into other fans. If the slipstream is that bad then I won't bother. I trust vapors verdict on fans but if you could link me to a thread about it it would be much appreciated as I didn't see that fan when going through the fans sticky.

Couldn't tell you if other vendors are getting the "good" YL's. :shrug:

IIRC, Vapor did in his 3rd fan test, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: here's round 3 review.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193126

Solidsnake666
09-22-2008, 09:50 AM
So the S-flex performs fairly close to a yate, and has a longer lifespan. Which is good because I've gone through a lot of yate's lol. So S-Flex is looking like a good choice.

But now is the feser xtender worth anything? from what I remember reading it's supposed to help by a few degree's. Haven't found any real reviews on it or anything to prove or disprove this. I may buy it just for the (and curse me for saying this) "Bling" factor, but if I find it hurts performance I will be throwing that idea out the window quite quickly.

Waterlogged
09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
So the S-flex performs fairly close to a yate, and has a longer lifespan. Which is good because I've gone through a lot of yate's lol. So S-Flex is looking like a good choice.

But now is the feser xtender worth anything? from what I remember reading it's supposed to help by a few degree's. Haven't found any real reviews on it or anything to prove or disprove this. I may buy it just for the (and curse me for saying this) "Bling" factor, but if I find it hurts performance I will be throwing that idea out the window quite quickly.

http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-And-Shroud-Testing-Review.html

Solidsnake666
09-22-2008, 10:09 AM
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-And-Shroud-Testing-Review.html

I remember seeing that review now. I just kinda shrugged it off at the time because i wasn't buying parts. Thanks so much for your help! Looks like I'll be buying a s-flex and a feser xtender... Just 1 more question Do you know if the screws that come with the feser xtender will fit the BIP or are they threaded differently?

Waterlogged
09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I remember seeing that review now. I just kinda shrugged it off at the time because i wasn't buying parts. Thanks so much for your help! Looks like I'll be buying a s-flex and a feser xtender... Just 1 more question Do you know if the screws that come with the feser xtender will fit the BIP or are they threaded differently?

I'll have to defer that question to some who has the Xtender because I haven't a clue. :shrug: . . ...Although, I do have a BIP and it had no threads when I got it, it was just a couple pieces of thin sheet brass used for the fan mounts to be used with sheet metal screws.

AndrewZorn
09-22-2008, 10:21 AM
What about Naekuh's idea to gut a 120mm fan (keeping the outside edge), and use those as shrouds? I'm about to re-install fans, so I wonder if this would be worth it on fans that work (but I'd otherwise probably never use).

Waterlogged
09-22-2008, 10:24 AM
What about Naekuh's idea to gut a 120mm fan (keeping the outside edge), and use those as shrouds? I'm about to re-install fans, so I wonder if this would be worth it on fans that work (but I'd otherwise probably never use).

:ROTF: I can't believe I didn't think of that. :brick: :am:

SS, that's a very good idea and you can save a bit of money because you have a dead YL you could do this to. :up:

Solidsnake666
09-22-2008, 10:43 AM
That is true! Didn't even think about it. Then all that would be left to decide is whether to save money and use the fan or suck it up and spend the cash for the fancy led lit xtender. I'll ponder that a bit lol. And btw i think you're right about the BIP I already have screws in there and I think the threading is 6/32 If someone could shed some light as to what the xtender comes with I'll be all set to order!

Waterlogged
09-22-2008, 07:18 PM
That is true! Didn't even think about it. Then all that would be left to decide is whether to save money and use the fan or suck it up and spend the cash for the fancy led lit xtender. I'll ponder that a bit lol. And btw i think you're right about the BIP I already have screws in there and I think the threading is 6/32 If someone could shed some light as to what the xtender comes with I'll be all set to order!

Ss, poke through the description and pictures here for what's included. :up:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/fetfcxtrash1.html

Solidsnake666
09-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Ss, poke through the description and pictures here for what's included. :up:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/fetfcxtrash1.html

Thank you! Now i guess I'll have to buy new bolts then.

Utnorris
09-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Since no one has said it SAN ACE 120".

Quad-Damage
09-23-2008, 08:05 AM
I have 3x S-Flex E on my rad, and it's very quite, not 2 loud and keeps my system cool 26c at idle and 45 at max load on a E8500 @ 4.15ghz

Solidsnake666
09-23-2008, 08:21 AM
I have 3x S-Flex E on my rad, and it's very quite, not 2 loud and keeps my system cool 26c at idle and 45 at max load on a E8500 @ 4.15ghz

I'm really not too worried about loud. It's my lan system and I only use it maybe a quarter the amount of time I use my regular system. Not to mention I only have 1 BIP 120 rad on it.

inCore
09-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Sadly they're not as easy to get in Europe. Anybody have an European links? I know one can buy them off the manufacturers website but that's too much hassle for a fan.

I vote for an S-Flex E, they've been proven to be good and durable and are just generall a safe bet.

Solidsnake666
09-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Well the opportunity has arisen to either buy a used san ace 1101, which I am thinking about, for about the same price as the s-flex. I'm always weary about buying used parts off someone for the first time but it's definitely an enticing offer. Maybe I'll buy both :D

DeathWalking
09-23-2008, 10:48 AM
San Ace is better than the S-Flex, so if you have a chance to grab one, or more than one(!), jump at it. S-Flex is your best second choice, per Vapor's review.

inCore
09-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Used fans sounds risky. I'd make really sure that the fan is in working order before I purchase anything. If the previous owner is anything like me, don't buy it off him. I've banged more fans against metal edges and other hard, sharp things than most chainsmokers have smoked cigarettes.

Utnorris
09-23-2008, 11:08 AM
They are good.

Utnorris