PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Cathode interference

memolipd
09-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Right I've completed my watercooled system. It looks, sounds and performs amazingly, SOOOO happy with it.

anyway my rad fans and TEC are controlled using the in-line temperature sensor sold at watercoolingUK:

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/cata...roducts_id=692

the problem is the sensor is near a cathode and cant really be relocated, and when the cathode is turned on the high voltage is influencing the voltage in the temp sensor wire causing it to give some funky readings (rapidly oscillating +-5 C) which kinda makes it useless.

Any quick solutions?

StAndrew
09-21-2008, 06:39 PM
You can try putting a bit of electrical tape (or something of the sort) over the sensor or at least between the sensor and cathode.

WytRaven
09-21-2008, 09:34 PM
The simplest thing you could do is try to run the sensor's wires at a right angle to the cathode and it's supply leads (+) instead of parallel (=) that should significantly reduce induction. Be aware that there could be more factors in play here but it's something to try as a start.

HotGore
09-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Tin foil?

StAndrew
09-22-2008, 11:27 AM
I would be hesitant to put lose metal in my case, less it fly away and short out a board. I would try the right angle placement mentioned above first, electrical tape next, and last resort: aluminum foil. Or any combination of these (foil wraped in electrical tape maybe?)

Good luck! Tell us how it turns out.

memolipd
09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
i found a good solution, decided to replace the cathodes with LED strips, flexable, more customisable and less fiddly as well as no crazy voltage induction. :D

StAndrew
09-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Well, if you cant fix it, remove it!