PDA

View Full Version : Flexible mount chipset block

WytRaven
09-21-2008, 03:29 PM
I would like to bring attention to this block by XSPC that so far I have seen no mention of on this forum - the XSPC X20 Delta Chipset. When I did mention it in another thread I got the predictable "it has pins = bad" (If you don't like the pins...grind them down?) and "can't get it in North America". According to XSPC's website (http://www.xspc.biz/retailers.php) they have retailers all over the world so I'm sure if you asked for one it could be ordered in with the next shipment. Just a note...we don't all live in America.

Bear in mind that I am drawing attention to this block for specific reason; It's mounting flexibility. So far this is the only block I have found that has a chance of fitting on boards using Intel's 5400 (Seaburg) professional dual socket chipset due to the high distance between mounting pins.

Remember that not everyone uses water cooling for achieving Xtreme overclocks on mainstream gaming boards, some of us desire powerful workstations with Xtreme silence. This thread is aimed at people in this group.

Anyway this is what it looks like and it's specs:

http://www.wytraven.com/binaries/xspc-x20-delta-chip.jpg

...and no, just for clarity, I am not affiliated with XSPC in any way whatsoever. This just took me some time to find and wanted to save others the trouble if they are looking for something like this.

I have two of these on their way to me but would love to hear from anyone who has actually used these blocks as I won't be able to actually test them, and therefore comment on performance, for sometime yet. I would also be keen to hear about any other uni-chipset blocks with mounting options that support at least 75mm hole distances.

I reiterate that I have not tested these blocks this thread is simply a heads up on a possible solution for boards with large NB/SB coolers.

Eddie3dfx
09-21-2008, 03:32 PM
The inside reminds me of the danger den universal.
looks really nice. I wouldn't cut the pins, as it's part of the block. I would just enjoy it at as is.

AndrewZorn
09-21-2008, 03:56 PM
The reason people are 'against' pins on chipset coolers is because they simply aren't necessary. There's enough controversy of whether or not chipset cooling is beneficial, so that's why the ideal, for many people, is simply an unrestrictive block that does the job. Pins increase heat dissipation, but also introduce more restriction internally. It's a temperature vs flow-rate issue.

SNiiPE_DoGG
09-21-2008, 04:26 PM
The reason people are 'against' pins on chipset coolers is because they simply aren't necessary. There's enough controversy of whether or not chipset cooling is beneficial, so that's why the ideal, for many people, is simply an unrestrictive block that does the job. Pins increase heat dissipation, but also introduce more restriction internally. It's a temperature vs flow-rate issue.

it depends on the chipset. on x38/x48 for high FSB a cool NB is a MUST

SB water cooling on Intel boards is completely unnecessary

hata28
09-21-2008, 04:44 PM
One thing I must say about this block, I had a hard time mounting it cos the screws and nuts are too small. Can never get to tighten it properly. So it's not worth the risk to mount it. And no instruction can be found. A bad buy!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/k3n2o88/CIMG2005.jpg

CedricFP
09-21-2008, 04:49 PM
I too am looking for flexible chipset blocks. I am planning on adding a one into my loop for my P5K, but would like upgradability to the P5Q or another P45 (or even perhaps X48) board. That's the direction I will be going in the next year as opposed to Nehalem. EK blocks don't seem suited to this purpose, and I've heard that the MCW30 mounting isn't great on P35/P45 despite the fact it fits the bill in terms of versatility.

This XSPC block looks nice, but the above comments about the ease of mounting disturb me a little. If I'll be WC'ing my NB, I certainly need to be able to mount well and easily.

BreeSpree
09-21-2008, 04:58 PM
I actually like pin structure in my NB blocks. I feel it is one of the main blocks you should have pins for heat dissipation next to CPU/GPU cooling. If you plan to raise the FSB a lot you will want to know that your chipset stays cool enough. I like the internals of this block, however, the mounting mechanism and the flexibility of this block makes me question if it is a good buy. I like my blocks custom fit for their motherboards, such as some of the Ek ones. Not the NB/SB 5 or 6.

CedricFP
09-21-2008, 05:08 PM
I actually like pin structure in my NB blocks. I feel it is one of the main blocks you should have pins for heat dissipation next to CPU/GPU cooling. If you plan to raise the FSB a lot you will want to know that your chipset stays cool enough. I like the internals of this block, however, the mounting mechanism and the flexibility of this block makes me question if it is a good buy. I like my blocks custom fit for their motherboards, such as some of the Ek ones. Not the NB/SB 5 or 6.
I too have no problems with pins in the chipset block. Flowrate won't be impacted that much, and as tests have shown, anything above 1 gpm is fine anyways.

I'll be running chipset / mcw60 in a single loop with a D5 so flowrate should be a non-issue.

WytRaven
09-21-2008, 08:45 PM
After cracking out Martin's flow estimator again to do some tweaking I noticed that he has tested these blocks. For example only - 5' of 7/16" tubing, Liang D5, Res, PA120.3, 2 x D-Tek Fuzion V2 (Stock), and 2 x XSPC X20 Delta Chipset the flow comes out at 1.27gpm. Going up to 1.41gpm with only one X20. Sounds fine to me...

hata28
09-22-2008, 04:31 AM
Maybe u guys can take a look @ the Enzotech SNBW Rev.A.....the mounting mechanism are great and flexible too.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/k3n2o88/CIMG2006.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/k3n2o88/CIMG2010.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/k3n2o88/CIMG2011.jpg

Pub_Randy**
09-22-2008, 06:20 AM
EK made a universal chipset block.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/ek5unchwaa.html

It's not the prettiest nor the cheapest, but flexible? of course.
Dangerden do a few themselves. I don't see the point in motherboard specific blocks at all. Just an expensive disposal item. By the time u upgrade it it'll be too hard to find someone with the same 'old' board, unless u upgrade on a monthly basis :D

WytRaven
09-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Maybe u guys can take a look @ the Enzotech SNBW Rev.A.....the mounting mechanism are great and flexible too.

Yeah those blocks by Enzo, including it's big brother, have got to be the first blocks I've seen that can qualify as "pretty". I reckon there would be a few Grrls out there that wouldn't mind pimping out their kit with an Enzo set. Now that's not to say that Geeks can't use them proudly too; just pointing out that most women would be likely to look at watercooling gear and then give you that 'glazed over' look. :D

Actually that reminded me of my wife and an MP3 player. I decided that considering how much she loves and listens to music that when MP3 players hit the market I was going to buy her one. Well long story short, months of heated battle ensued as she declared over and over that she didn't want no stupid EMMPEETHREEE she wanted a portable CD player. Eventually I got so sick of it I dragged her over to the local tech store and insisted that she was getting an MP3 player and thats that. I found a little 256MB Panasonic in silver and blue (don't laugh 256MB was big at the time) and showed it to her. Of course she glared at it like it was some evil demon from the depths of hell and I figured this was more a fear of the unknown for her rather than anything else so requested an attendant demonstrate it for her. So he wanders of, pops in a battery, comes back and switches it on, the screen lights up with it's blue back light and she goes 'ooooh thats pretty!'....we walked out of the store 3 minutes later player in hand no further demonstration required. Women are weird ;)

Ok back on topic...

I do think it's a little odd that for a uni block Enzo doesn't feel the need to quote min/max hole spacings for it :confused: Not on site or in manual. Pretty key information wouldn't you say? There is of course the possibility that I am completely blind... It doesn't look particularly large from the pictures. Any chance of a measurement hata28? I'd a little pythag on the provided rectangular dimensions for this very non-rectangular block and came out around same max range as the X20 which seems unbelievable from the pictures.

So far the closest in maximum range to the X20 (@ 77mm or ~3") is the EK one mentioned by PubRandy @ about 65mm (~2.5") with the DD MPC-Uni at almost 62mm (~2.45") but both apparently with quite limited total range.

Not that max range is all things to all men, as long as it meets your needs right?

hata28
09-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Very sorry...I can't do any measurement right now. I do not want to removed it from the mobo. It can mount on both the NB & SB of my mobo, even my other board Asus Crosshair.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/k3n2o88/CIMG1981.jpg

headala
09-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Aqua Computer's chipset block is the same as their non-FC GPU block, and it has interchangeable mounting screens. I use it and like it, and it's future proof! :up: