PDA

View Full Version : RAID Controller

ExodusC
09-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Hi everyone. Today I ordered two 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache Seagate drives ($50 each from Woot). I'm planning on setting up a RAID array when they get here (0 or 1, haven't decided yet). However, my motherboard does not have a RAID controller. I've considered software RAID, and even upgrading my motherboard, but I'd rather not do either.

I'm looking for a PCI-E x1 RAID controller, but it needs to be cheap!

I've been looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132008

Anyone know of a good, cheap controller? Thanks in advance!

Jazz_Data
09-21-2008, 05:03 AM
If you want RAID for performance (ex RAID-0) , and your data is important, I would then reconsider a cheap controller.

If you just want redundancy, in your case, using Windows dynamic disks in mirror would be a free solution

SoulsCollective
09-21-2008, 05:23 AM
Highpoint RocketRaid 3120LF. It only supports two drives, however, but it's possibly the cheapest good controller that actually supports hardware RAID and has on-card memory.

tiro_uspsss
09-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Highpoint RocketRaid 3120LF. It only supports two drives, however, but it's possibly the cheapest good controller that actually supports hardware RAID and has on-card memory.

thats an interesting lil card :) :up:

an alternative, all tho more pricey:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151031

ExodusC
09-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Hah, that card is a little too expensive for my liking.

Actually that appears to be cheaper than the RocketRaid card.

I'm really thinking about just getting a cheap $20 card, as I have a quad core CPU I don't really care about CPU offloading (I need to put those cores to use anyways). I'm just looking for a card that won't throttle or cause problems.

tiro_uspsss
09-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Hah, that card is a little too expensive for my liking.

Actually that appears to be cheaper than the RocketRaid card.

I'm really thinking about just getting a cheap $20 card, as I have a quad core CPU I don't really care about CPU offloading (I need to put those cores to use anyways). I'm just looking for a card that won't throttle or cause problems.

:confused::confused::confused:
the areca is $180
the highpoint is $130

:shrug:

ExodusC
09-21-2008, 05:19 PM
:confused::confused::confused:
the areca is $180
the highpoint is $130

:shrug:
Really? I can't seem to find a RocketRaid card under $200... Can you post a link?

Still, I'd really only like to pay around $20-50 for a card. If anything I might just end up doing software RAID.

Omastar
09-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Really? I can't seem to find a RocketRaid card under $200... Can you post a link?

Still, I'd really only like to pay around $20-50 for a card. If anything I might just end up doing software RAID.

Software RAID kinda sucks...I'd suggest even a cheap controller over software RAID, but try to avoid the Silicon Image based products.

ExodusC
09-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Software RAID kinda sucks...I'd suggest even a cheap controller over software RAID, but try to avoid the Silicon Image based products.
Really? Any suggestions?...

tiro_uspsss
09-22-2008, 05:13 AM

mmm.. looking @ the OPs post, I'd say he's considering RAID-0 with only 2 HDDs - in which case, imo, software RAID would be quite satisfactory :)

heres the RAID controller SoulsCollective mentioned, @ newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115047

The Areca I mentioned is *very* similar spec'd - 2 SATAII ports, & on board cache (mem/ram) - tho for some reason newegg fails to mention this under the specs of the areca card.. it mentions it on the areca website - but not how much :mad:

either way, both cards are true hardware RAID cards, 2 SATAII ports, with onboard cache :) - one, however is $50 cheaper :D

ExodusC
09-22-2008, 06:02 AM
mmm.. looking @ the OPs post, I'd say he's considering RAID-0 with only 2 HDDs - in which case, imo, software RAID would be quite satisfactory :)

heres the RAID controller SoulsCollective mentioned, @ newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115047

The Areca I mentioned is *very* similar spec'd - 2 SATAII ports, & on board cache (mem/ram) - tho for some reason newegg fails to mention this under the specs of the areca card.. it mentions it on the areca website - but not how much :mad:

either way, both cards are true hardware RAID cards, 2 SATAII ports, with onboard cache :) - one, however is $50 cheaper :D
Would you think software RAID is adequate? I kinda want to put my OS install onto my RAID drives, in which case I would need a hardware-based RAID solution, correct?

Would one of these cheap $20 RAID cards be sufficient?

tiro_uspsss
09-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Would you think software RAID is adequate? I kinda want to put my OS install onto my RAID drives, in which case I would need a hardware-based RAID solution, correct?

Would one of these cheap $20 RAID cards be sufficient?

yep - should easily do the trick - providing ur set-up is what u mentioned in OP: 2x HDD in R-0 - plenty of ppl run that kind of a config on their Intel southbridges (example: ICHR9), which is software RAID.. now obviously software RAID takes a few CPU cycles, but when we're dealing with only 2 HDDs in R-0 (simply split up data) - those cycles are completely insignificant :yepp:

there is an advantage to running RAID of a seperate card (what I am about to tell u, definitely applies to most hardware RAID cards (if not, all) - I'm *relatively* sure the same applie with software RAID cards)
the advantage to a seperate RAID card is, when u upgrade ur rig, u dont have to re-install if u dont want - simply take the card, plug in to new system (with the HDDs attached -duh) & away u go! :up:

ExodusC
09-22-2008, 10:52 AM
yep - should easily do the trick - providing ur set-up is what u mentioned in OP: 2x HDD in R-0 - plenty of ppl run that kind of a config on their Intel southbridges (example: ICHR9), which is software RAID.. now obviously software RAID takes a few CPU cycles, but when we're dealing with only 2 HDDs in R-0 (simply split up data) - those cycles are completely insignificant :yepp:

there is an advantage to running RAID of a seperate card (what I am about to tell u, definitely applies to most hardware RAID cards (if not, all) - I'm *relatively* sure the same applie with software RAID cards)
the advantage to a seperate RAID card is, when u upgrade ur rig, u dont have to re-install if u dont want - simply take the card, plug in to new system (with the HDDs attached -duh) & away u go! :up:
I'm thinking of doing RAID 1 on these two disks (RAID 1 is mirroring, correct?). Now, as far as I know, it's not possible to put my OS install on a software RAID when my motherboard does not have a RAID controller, correct?

Unless there is a way to install an OS onto a software RAID partition with no controller involved, I think I'll go with a cheap card, maybe that Rosewill card.

tiro_uspsss
09-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm thinking of doing RAID 1 on these two disks (RAID 1 is mirroring, correct?). Now, as far as I know, it's not possible to put my OS install on a software RAID when my motherboard does not have a RAID controller, correct?

Unless there is a way to install an OS onto a software RAID partition with no controller involved, I think I'll go with a cheap card, maybe that Rosewill card.

of course u can install an OS on a software RAID solution/card! :) - ppl do it all the time (the ICHR9 remember?) :)

ExodusC
09-22-2008, 03:39 PM
of course u can install an OS on a software RAID solution/card! :) - ppl do it all the time (the ICHR9 remember?) :)
I have an ICH9 chipset, but it is ICH9, not ICHR9, so it doesn't have an onboard RAID controller...

Wouldn't this make it impossible to install an OS onto a software RAID partition since it lacks the controller?

tiro_uspsss
09-22-2008, 03:43 PM
I have an ICH9 chipset, but it is ICH9, not ICHR9, so it doesn't have an onboard RAID controller...

Wouldn't this make it impossible to install an OS onto a software RAID partition since it lacks the controller?

no.. the card u will buy (whether software or hardware - doesnt matter) is the controller :)

for ppl who use the ICHR9 - the ICHR9 is the controller

u dont have ICHR9, u dont have a controller, thus u need to buy one :)

the choice in front of u is: software or hardware

essentially both SW & HW are the same - the big diff is the HW RAID controller comes with its own 'cpu' to do the cycles - wheres a SW card (like the rosewill) will nick a few from ur CPU :)

ExodusC
09-22-2008, 04:02 PM
no.. the card u will buy (whether software or hardware - doesnt matter) is the controller :)

for ppl who use the ICHR9 - the ICHR9 is the controller

u dont have ICHR9, u dont have a controller, thus u need to buy one :)

the choice in front of u is: software or hardware

essentially both SW & HW are the same - the big diff is the HW RAID controller comes with its own 'cpu' to do the cycles - wheres a SW card (like the rosewill) will nick a few from ur CPU :)
Yes, this is what I thought. Though when I said "software RAID" I was actually referring more to something like Windows Dynamic Disks.

I suppose I'll pick up that Rosewill controller card then, it really seems to be a decent card overall.

Sgt_Strider
09-24-2008, 11:00 PM

Does this card enhance RAID 0 speed though? It does seem a bit pricey, but may be worth it if the performance gains can be "felt". Is this Areca's latest card though?

tiro_uspsss
09-25-2008, 02:56 AM
Does this card enhance RAID 0 speed though? It does seem a bit pricey, but may be worth it if the performance gains can be "felt". Is this Areca's latest card though?

that card from areca is fairly new, yes.

'feeling' extra performance depends on the individual, thus a subjective, thus me not willing to comment :p:

performance increase, undoubtly (compared to onboard RAID)...

here is a link for a semi-related read-up:

http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives-storage/359025-perc-5-i-raid-card-tips.html

it shows a quick comparo between ICHR9 & PERC-5i

ExodusC
09-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Well I went with the Rosewill controller, it should be here tomorrow.

However, my hard drives haven't even shipped yet so it'll be a while until I can use it.