PDA

View Full Version : GPU Waterblock Question

StAndrew
09-20-2008, 06:24 AM
I was wondering if there was a review for the following blocks:

MCW60 R vs MCW60 R2 vs DTek GFX 2

I can assume that approximately the same performance jump between the Apogee and Apogee GT can be expected between the 60 R and 60 R2.

How does the GFX 2 perform?

Currently running two MCW60 R's.

BreeSpree
09-20-2008, 07:51 AM
The GFX 2 core block with a Uni-sink out performs full-cover blocks and the Swiftech MCW60 with Swiftech ramsinks. As long as you have good air going over the heatsink, it will save you a few degrees. Some people consider the GFX2 a hybrid cooling solution because of this. I would say to only use the GFX2 if your using a single video card though, it is hard to mount in Sli setups, and doesn't recieve good air with too many components in the way. The GFX2 with heatsinks also takes up 2 slots so be aware of that.

BreeSpree
09-20-2008, 12:42 PM
what...??? :shakes:

It can easily run SLI ...:up:

Here take a look at my SLI ViperJohn setup...:up:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3161/2664903050_c367de8397_b.jpg

I know that it can fit Sli, like that.:up: The problem I had was that since the fittings point straight out, when I attached the tubing, I couldn't put the door on.......:shakes: Anyways to the point, I guess it will work like that if you use some standard T-s or 90-degree fittings. Or have a lot of room between the graphics card and the door. I also said it was hard to mount in Sli, not impossible.

StAndrew
09-21-2008, 05:04 PM
@ StAndrew....

:welcome: to XS

Thanks!! Been hanging around here a bit and just recently decided to memberize myself.

what...??? :shakes:

It can easily run SLI ...:up:

Here take a look at my SLI ViperJohn setup...:up:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3161/2664903050_c367de8397_b.jpg

Nice looking! There any room on those fittings for your tubes with that heat sync? Looks kind of snug like there

@ BreeSpree:

I know what you mean. Im running two 8800 GTS 512's with my MCW60s and the tubing is a bit hard to fit with the case door. Lots of tube wrap to keep from kinking but its doable.

I guess the real question is on of numbers: Can we get some numbers on these blocks to compare and decide if its worth upgrading. Just got a new FuZion 2.0 to replace the Apogee GT and new GT Stealths to replace my Swiftech and HW rads and was thinking if its worth it to replace the MCW60's (just splurge and go all out)?

Blazing fire
10-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Bump :) We are waiting for you martin :D

Stealth42o
10-17-2008, 08:53 PM
The GFX 2 core block with a Uni-sink out performs full-cover blocks and the Swiftech MCW60 with Swiftech ramsinks. As long as you have good air going over the heatsink.

Nuff said. I was running two MCW60's on 9800 GTX's, however I didn't have enough (IMO) air over the sinks so I went to FC blocks.

To be honest, I have seen 0 difference in temps. However the GPU's are on a dedicated loop now.

And I did not like the HUGE door handle to connect the blocks.

It's really just preference. You will see (So I hear) a difference in temps, however it is so small it's pretty inconsequential.

was thinking if its worth it to replace the MCW60's (just splurge and go all out)?

IMO no, the MCW60's are excellent blocks, and again, you may see a degree, maybe two difference. If you can justify, and or afford spending 100+ for that, then go for it. People here have done far more outrages s$^t ! *Points at self*