PDA

View Full Version : Bitspower fittings and MCW60

rehpyc
09-20-2008, 01:20 AM
A few quick questions..

Does anybody have experience using BP fittings with the MCW60-R1 and can say they are a good natural fit? I've read from a few previous threads that some fittings from other makers have leaked with the block when people have used them.

Secondly, does anybody use BP's 90 degree angled fittings with the block along with a D-Tek Uni-Sink, or can someone intuitively say there is plenty of room to which the fitting makes enough clearance with the sink - the fitting isn't too big to where you can have the barb angled down at 45 degrees? I don't have the block nor fitting in-hand, so I'm not sure exactly how bulky they get at the point in which it curves.

Thanks to those who can provide input.

LeeH
09-20-2008, 07:06 AM
Fully agree w/Realredraider. I have the r2 which I just got in along with the BP Transfer adapters and BP compressions for 5/8 OD 1/2 ID. I will say that the compressions just fit. It wouldn't work with the 3/4 OD unless you have the the 45's to spread it a bit. Sidewinder and PPC are two good places to get them.

Aldy402
09-20-2008, 09:21 AM
can you guys link to the transfer adapter? thanks

Aldy402
09-20-2008, 09:44 AM
thanks RRR, im still trying to get my head around this... I thought all G 1/4 were the same.. I guess not

so I guess the transfer adapter extends it so the compression fittings have enough clearance on the MCW60?

LeeH
09-20-2008, 10:28 AM
So the MCW60 v2 will work with BP 1/2" x 5/8" ???
Got it screwed in now. Just enough clearance to work.

I don't know if it would leak or not without the xfer fitting. I understand that it is close enough to be just fine. But "close enough" always worry's me, so for the price of the xfer fittings, I feel safer.

By the way, just for the record, I have a 4850 card that I have an HR03GT on which takes up a lot of space although it seems pretty effective. Touching the heat pipes will give you a nasty burn :). I am replacing that with the r2 for the obvious water build but already have a bunch of heat sinks in place so I didn't think it was worth the money to go for a full block. For a little extra cooling on that card I will now have the room to mount the side panel fan (It hit the heat pipes before and I've got an antec 1200)

From what I can see there will be enough room to angle down when BP has those fittings available. But I think you will need the xfer adopters to give it the extension needed. It will take it right to the edge of the block

Martinm210
09-20-2008, 10:36 AM
The MCW-60 has a similar o-ring recessed groove that the GTZ has, so you have to be careful about fitting size.

It appears to me that the BP swivel types have pretty good clearance and would seal fine...

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2718/mcw60bpswivelcheck1xi2.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1295/mcw60bpswivelcheck2wy1.jpg

Hope that helps..

Kibbler
09-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the nice pics, I mostly agree :) NPSM and BSPP are off by 1 thread per inch, pretty small difference. More importantly the transfer adapter has a much longer threaded portion (like Swiftech's plastic barbs) and they have non-recessed o-rings, again just like Swiftech's plastic barbs. Recessed o-rings on other fittings may not get compressed enough to get a good seal.

DeathWalking
09-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Hmm...I can see where the non-recessed o-ring would be useful for the GTZ, but is the GTZ G1/4 or NPSM?

EDIT: Never mind. It's neither. It's BSPP. Hmmm.

EDIT 2: Swiftech says: (http://www.swiftnets.com/products/NPT-NPSM.htm)
NPSM and G ¼ Compared

G ¼, or BSPP, fittings will fit, but may not seal; each must be checked prior to assuming that it will not leak just because they fit together.

Both NPSM and G ¼ (BSPP) are parallel thread and nominally the same size, the principal difference being 18 threads per inch for NPSM and 19 threads per inch for G ¼ (BSPP). Since most male end G ¼ fittings have a short thread length they can generally be engaged in the NPSM threads without much difficulty.

The joint seal is effected with an O-ring which for the NPSM barb is in a groove on the water-block top and compressed by the flange nut barb.
G ¼ fittings have the O-ring captured in a groove under the fitting nut.

G ¼ fittings will seal so long as there is a straight portion under the nut flats sufficient to bring the G ¼ fitting’s O-ring into contact with the bottom of the O-ring groove, a depth of 0.080”.Very interesting.

Aldy402
09-20-2008, 02:29 PM
thanks for the pics RRR, now i see the difference... visuals always help.
before I order a pair along with fittings, im assuming the same goes with the mcw30?
thanks again for your help, im trying to convert my whole loop to compression fittings
im tired of using clamps..

rehpyc
09-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Ah, the 45 degree swivel is exactly what I am wanting, Martin :eek: (thanks for the pic to show the clearance levels of them as well). Though, I just noticed they were recalled or such? Damn, hopefully the problems with them are quickly worked through and they become available again. Otherwise, I guess the BP ST transfer fittings (thanks RRR :up:) and BP barb coupled with a 90 degree angled barb is the best I could go with for now?

Edit: Now, would I be falling into the same problem with a MCW-30 that I'm intending to use to start cooling my NB (evga 680i board) as far as the fittings go? :( I have a pair of D-Tek high-flow fittings laying around that I was intending to use with it).

Martinm210
09-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Edit: Now, would I be falling into the same problem with a MCW-30 that I'm intending to use to start cooling my NB (evga 680i board) as far as the fittings go? :( I have a pair of D-Tek high-flow fittings laying around that I was intending to use with it).

I gave away my old mcw-30 to pika98, so I can't test, but it would be similar. I'm pretty sure barb compatibility is very similar to the MCW-60, so you should be able to fit the D-Tek, but larger compression fittings would require some the BP-45s.