PDA

View Full Version : another HD water block thread

nelsoncp21
09-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Sorry I didn't want to hijack the other thread and my scenario is slightly different. I have to raptor X drives that I will be mounting at the top of my case in the 5.25" bays. 1 on each side of a Lian Li PC-343B. I had originally planned to use the DD waterblocks for these drives but due to circumstances I am in need for another option. So basicly I need a recomendation for 2 sets of blocks that will not fill up more then 2 bay slots a piece and will not cover the top of the raptor drives. Wouldn't want to cover up those nifty windows in the drives. Yes I know watercooling is not needed for HD's but as stated in the other post if you really want to then do it and I do. So please help with a good alternative to the DD blocks. Thanks in advance

nelsoncp21
09-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Bumpitty bump bump bump. sorry to bump guys but seeing as this is now on the third page in this topic section with no response I figured it may need a bump so ya'll don't forget about me. still looking for a suggestion. thanks again

BlueAqua
09-21-2008, 05:46 PM
What was wrong with the DD blocks?

Here is a pretty comprehensive list of hard drive blocks. Any of them fit your bill?

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=242

I have a pair of Aqua Computer Aqua Drives and they're really nice. They are made from aluminum though, so don't mix with copper in that loop.

WytRaven
09-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Well you could do what I ended up doing and get Alphacool Silent star singles with a mind to either modify the enclosures or discard them completely (primarily to work around the elbows and thin joining pipe in back). The advantage being that these blocks have inlet/outlet at the front and back of each block as opposed to the bare blocks purchasable from watercooling.de (http://www.watercooling.de/catalog/hdd_copper_cooler_single_ht_rev_1_11-p-466.html?osCsid=f618a121f983b5b452fa2dd80fd7c260) that have them on the sides (well that's what I understood from the product description anyway and then again that may work for you and your situation).

nelsoncp21
09-22-2008, 01:21 PM
First off thanks for your response guys.

BlueAqua- there is nothing wrong with the DD blocks. Matter of fact I was planning on useing them till I had a falling out with DD sales rep so now I am forced to boycott them and find an alternative solution. Out of the list you provided, I only saw 2 blocks that would work. The Asetek block and the Mitron 1. The Asetek 1 is copper so it looks like my best bet. I am just weary as I don't know how reliable the product is.

WytRaven- that looks like a viable option. Seems a waste to spend the $90 bucks and discard the enclosure but if it's the only other reliable block other then the DD then I would do it.

So I guess the question now is How does the Asetek block rate compared to the Alphacool blocks?