PDA

View Full Version : Costco Member pls suggest a HDTV under 40"

Cpl Ledanek
09-18-2008, 05:32 PM
my mother's (60y/o) regular TV died and she is willing to join the HDTV generation...she went to Costco but was overwhelmed with number of selections.

I'm n00b when it comes to HDTV myself...we got a 42" Sony Bravia ..I hardly use myself. She want something less than 40"

We are looking at the Samsung selection since I've read many good things about it, but those are for PC monitor. Not sure if quality is same for HDTV.

If you're a Costco member and regularly visit, can you make a suggestion on model & if price is better with Costco than BB/CC/Fry's.

Advance thanks

twilyth
09-18-2008, 05:56 PM
This Sharp looks nice. (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11297858&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|2341|3316|74672&N=4018657&Mo=21&No=7&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=74672&Ns=P_Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=79*2341*3316*74672*&topnav=) and it has a game mode so that you'll visit mom more often - which you should be doing ANYWAY young man.

It's 1080p and 37". Sharp is a very good brand, but you should look at it in person if possible. 37" sounds like a lot, but with the 16:9 format, it's less than you would imagine.

The only down side is the remote control looks complicated. Sometimes people are intimidated by a lot of buttons and the intimidation factor on this one is off the scale. :)

Nasgul
09-18-2008, 06:07 PM
I just spent about two days at Best Buy trying to figure out which LCD TV to get.........finally I went for a Toshiba: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8753743&st=toshiba&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1202649765592

Frankly, the more I looked at all of them? the less money I wanted to spend, mainly because I was sure that ANY TV would do, just as long as I change the color settings and adjust 'em to my liking and that's what I did, $999.97 for a 1080P 42".

Guy at BB said that Sony uses Toshiba parts, which basically you end up paying for the "name".

But "IF" I were to buy an LCD TV now? I'd say that probably the SAMSUNG is what I'd go with. And once I finish paying off my Truck? I'd be getting a 52" Samsung TV with 120hz RR 1080P.

Sharp, Toshiba and LG had excellent picture quality IMO as well.......SONY? Nah, you're just paying for the name.

twilyth
09-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Guy at BB said that Sony uses Toshiba parts, which basically you end up paying for the "name".

I hate to say it, but that is one of the oldest scams going. I once had someone tell me that the Zeiss optics in gray market Sony cameras wasn't as good as the ones with the full US warranty. Yeah. Sure.

That line is especially popular at places that you know put their own brand on something - like Kenmore. They'll tell you that 'oh, yeah, LG makes all our stuff but we're not supposed to tell anyone. Shhhhhh.' Come on.

You can't trust sales people. If they think you actually believe them and they know there's no way for you to easily verify or disprove what they have to say, they'll tell you whatever they have to in order to make the sale.

One time the salesman told me that if I didn't get the undercoating and fabric treatment for my new Honda, it would void the warranty. I told, cool, no problem, let them void it - knowing full well he was completely full of ****.

Never, ever, ever listen to ANYTHING they have to say unless and until you can verify it for yourself. You've been warned!!!!

Cpl Ledanek
09-18-2008, 10:16 PM
wow all great suggestions...hopefully this Sunday will have some promising sales...I might take her to Fry's also...thanks again and hopefully I can share something someday to anyone needing advice also.
:up:

iTravis
09-18-2008, 10:21 PM
I would consider a 37" Vizio (which I currently use) or a 42". I believe it offers the best price/quality ratio even though it's fairly new on the market compare to the big guys like Sony, Samsung....Google some reviews and see what people say about Vizio.

Scubar
09-18-2008, 11:17 PM
I just spent about two days at Best Buy trying to figure out which LCD TV to get.........finally I went for a Toshiba: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8753743&st=toshiba&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1202649765592

The guy was partly right but got them round the wrong way. The XF and ZF series use the same Sony panel found in the bravia iirc. I myself have a Toshiba XF355 and its absolutely beautiful.

Cpl Ledanek
09-19-2008, 01:19 PM
so I'm looking at this Samsung LN37A450 (http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=108&ref=cnet&utm_source=Cnet&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SAMLN37A450&sku=SAMLN37A450)

just not sure what package to get...I know she doesn't care much about sound, but will eventually have to get her a BR player or get another DVDupconversion player.

should we get the package deal even?
advance thanks as usual

twilyth
09-19-2008, 02:06 PM
For a 37" you can get away with a 720p set like that one, but there really is a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p. It really depends on how fussy she'll be, but coming from a standard NTSC set, it will still be a big improvement. If the price is the main issue, check out some of the Vizio models. I was just at Costco today and they had an entire aisle devoted to them. They get mixed reviews but I would say that overall they're favorable.

Here's a 32" Scepter. (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11280646&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|2341|3316|74672&N=4018657&Mo=20&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=74672&Ns=P_Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=79*2341*3316*74672*&topnav=) They used to be a good brand for CRT's but don't know what the reviews are like these days.

Cpl Ledanek
09-19-2008, 02:19 PM
For a 37" you can get away with a 720p set like that one, but there really is a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p. It really depends on how fussy she'll be, but coming from a standard NTSC set, it will still be a big improvement. If the price is the main issue, check out some of the Vizio models. I was just at Costco today and they had an entire aisle devoted to them. They get mixed reviews but I would say that overall they're favorable.

Here's a 32" Scepter. (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11280646&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|2341|3316|74672&N=4018657&Mo=20&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=74672&Ns=P_Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=79*2341*3316*74672*&topnav=) They used to be a good brand for CRT's but don't know what the reviews are like these days.

I see them Vizios a lot too, specially in Mom & Pop restaurants...but I figure she works hard enough (12hrs-shift nurse) she deserves whats best.

hopefully BB have this crazy clearance on Bravia with a free PS3 to complete the deal...the remote for the Bravia is not intimidating, but the HDconversion box come '09 might be, hopefully not.

Etihtsarom
09-19-2008, 10:01 PM

This is incorrect. Some parts are commonly used in TVs, some are not - which is why they are different. Samsung and Toshiba use the same Panel for some of their TVs, Sony and Samsung use the same panel, but different boards and components. You get what you pay for. Doesn't really matter what the guy at Bestbuy says.

Cpl Ledanek
09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
update: common suggestion is get the extended warranty for replacement and accidental damages...hmm that bad...Costco seems to be the fastest way for replacement vs dealing with each manufacturers customer service :confused:

geez...when is this gonna end...I'm starting to think, what's wrong with CRT TV anyways?:confused:

Nasgul
09-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Extended warranties are just another way to make money for companies............

in some cases it works in some they don't but it's up to you to think "IF" you'll ever need it or want it.

For me? I always buy extended warranties from Best Buy and so far it has worked several times, specially with my digital cameras, I used those things to death and BB always fix 'em or replace them.

Back in 2003, a lightning hit a tree near by my house, it ended up taking my whole home theater, so I called the home owners insurance, they paid but! I had extended warranty for my 43" TV, so I called Best Buy and they sent two middle east to dudes, they pick up the tv and 3 days later they brought back the TV was fixed and I had money from the home owners insurance.

I bought a 48" TV in 2003 as well and bought the extended warranty, never used it and still have the TV, working like a champ but.......with newer electronics? like the 42" Toshiba TV I just bought? I decided to get the EW for $160, as long as I can afford the EW I will buy it or consider that the electronics I'm buying it for may some day need it.