PDA

View Full Version : Woe is me

Sabre2
09-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Took my loop appart for regular maintenance (drain/refil/repipe) and to install new Enzotech Mosfet heatsinks and after putting everything back together, no post. 6 hours!

Took it all appart again, installed stock heatpipes for northbridge/southbridge, removed my waterblocks and put a stock cooler on my quadcore. Reset CMOS, new video card and new ram... still won't post.

I have two 9800GTXs SLIed on a P5N32-E SLI, I guess i'm looking for a replacement. I'm using DDR2 and I really don't feel like buying new ram and all that, happy with what I've got but I am looking for a new board. Either going to replace my P5N32-E SLI with the same thing or, I was looking at 780i with DDR2, but enter the problem with waterblocks not fitting on the northbridge and the whole shebang.

Anyone have ideas? Thinking about not watercooling the northbridge anymore, those asus boards with the waterblock already on, I dont think it will fit my tubing cause its a lot smaller. Time to shop on ebay, unless someone has a P5N32-E SLI or a Striker Extreme to get rid of!

gxavier
09-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Those integrated waterblocks in the new Asus Maximus II's or the Rampage Formula Extremes aren't very good. It's a waterblock thats sitting on top of two copper plates. Copper plate 1 > Heatpipe plate > Waterblock..... stupid design.

I'd just replace it with an identical board. I did the same thing when I broke my Maximus Formula... so replaced it with a Rampage Formula :) You get the additional advantage of not having to reformat your machine for a new chipset!

Eddie3dfx
09-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately I know what this is like.
I believe I have ek mosfet blocks for that board if you are interested.

Pellepel
09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I have a Striker Extreme available. Asus send me replacement 3 weeks ago when my Striker died. I also have 2xEk Asus 1 Mosfet and 2xMCW30 for the Striker.

I was planning to put it on a second rig, but I don't have time, so I'm getting rid of it. Send me a PM with your offer.

Snyxxx
09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
I have almost the same mobo and have just experienced the same thing. I replaced the PSU and it worked fine. I went to cahnge the PSU fan, put it back in and it does not boot, but all the fans and hard drives work fine.

Many people have this problem and taking everything off the board, taking the battery off the mobo for a while seems to work. I see this now and then, but I do not think the mobo is dead.

Keep trying.

Sabre2
09-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Got a replacement board from NCIX and it worked right away. After trying so many things (leaving battery out for a whole day) and making sure everything was all setup right (checked cmos chip and PCB for anything noticable) and it still didn't work. Tried a new CMOS battery, cleaned TIM off all chips and replaced the heatpipes/sinks. Still, nothing worked... the new board did however and it is working fine right now as we speak. It was a bit different... some sockets were different color for sata and memory... and the BIOS chip was soldered on instead of removable like my old one. Not sure why, or what it means, however it seems to work better and let me have a slightly higher OC without changing stock voltages (passed Prime95 x 4 for 12 hours).

Oh well, I'll never find out what really happened... I could use the board too if I could just get it to work.