PDA

View Full Version : Help with a new kit please

negev
09-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I just bought a kit from someone on guru3d, very good deal actually :)

Swiftech Apogee GTZ
Swiftech MCP655
Swiftech MCR320
DangerDan G1/4 1/2" barbs
Micro-micro res
10 clamps
EK 4870 waterblock
FeserOne UV black Fluid

All for USD$230 plus some Geil DDR3 sticks, inc shipping from Canada to UK

This is my first venture into watercooling so I'm pretty much clueless, I know I need to get 1/2" tubing, but is there anything I need to know about setting it up properly? I'm pretty sure I read that I should connect everything up separate from the computer first to check for leaks.

Does the reservoir need to be above the rest so the water flow has inertia?

Should I connect the parts in the loop in any particular order? I'm hoping it will be good enough to cool the cpu, northbridge and my HD4870 down to some nice low temps..

Any advice would be appreciated!

Conumdrum
09-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Do you need to run UV fluid? If you need to go for it. If you want simplicity and ease of mind Distilled water and a few drops of biocide is all you need.

How the loop is setup is pretty well explained in the stickies, looking through a few posts and the case build logs etc. Spend a few days trying to find what you need to know before taking the plunge. Tons of info here and on OC Forums, and umm here http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/

Take a read on this thread..
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201430

JaVa_Az
09-15-2008, 01:09 PM
I would install everything first run all your tubing then get a old PSU jump the pins on it. They say to run it like that for 24-36 hours for leak testing. Doing it outside the box is not really going to test how you have your hoses set up inside the reason i say slap it all together inside first. I try to allways mount my res higher then the pump but the same level shouldnt hurt either. Ideal would be pump to radiator, radiator to your blocks, blocks to your res, Although it doesnt make a big differance but your pump can add heat to your coolant. I would say you should be ok on that loop with that radiator, might be taxing it a bit. That radiator is a single row dual pass. The top on the line models are Dual row dual pass......... For sure read the threads Conumdrum posted ...The more you can learn the better off you will be

negev
09-15-2008, 01:34 PM
i guess if it runs too hot i could just get another radiator and go radiator -> CPU -> radiator -> NB -> GPU :D

evoted
09-15-2008, 02:09 PM
try and connect everything the way you want it to stay inside the case, that way you can see if you will have any kinks.
I recently made my 1st water cool system and used Feser UV Red, and i changed my mind big time, now my tubing is pink and i have drained it like 4 times and still pink...
I know your in the UK but i got the Petra's UV Clear/Blue and just a few drops of that thing and at nite loop looks nice...obviously combine with distilled water and biocide.
The MCR 320 should keep up with your components, with a good set of fans...:up:

good luck!

BreeSpree
09-15-2008, 03:29 PM
There are stickies on how to set up your loop. I would go for a double loop since you have 2 unlike pumps. Get some 7/16's Tygon, about 10 feet. The res must be higher than the pump. If you don't want a res use a T-line.

Hope this helps on what other people have not covered yet.
BTW, make sure to use some PT Nuke.

ShadedNine
09-16-2008, 11:50 AM
There are stickies on how to set up your loop. I would go for a double loop since you have 2 unlike pumps.

Er...I only see 1 pump listed, am I missing something or did you mix up MCR320 with MCP350 (gotta love swiftech model #s)?

You *can* mount your res lower than the pump, but you'll have to make sure you can detach it and raise it up for filling or you're going to have a ton of fun trying to fill.

You can also do your leak testing with all your components attached to your system, you don't have to go as far as trying to setup your tubing, detaching and reattaching, just make sure there is no power going to any components (which means disconnecting your PSU from all other components or unplugging it and using a spare PSU to power the pump).

I'll second going for black (if that's the colour you're after) tubing and then just using distilled water + biocide.

BreeSpree
09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Er...I only see 1 pump listed, am I missing something or did you mix up MCR320 with MCP350 (gotta love swiftech model #s)?

You *can* mount your res lower than the pump, but you'll have to make sure you can detach it and raise it up for filling or you're going to have a ton of fun trying to fill.

You can also do your leak testing with all your components attached to your system, you don't have to go as far as trying to setup your tubing, detaching and reattaching, just make sure there is no power going to any components (which means disconnecting your PSU from all other components or unplugging it and using a spare PSU to power the pump).

I'll second going for black (if that's the colour you're after) tubing and then just using distilled water + biocide.

Yes, you are correct, there is only one pump and it is the D5. I think maybe you should attach your res to a fillport because it makes refilling really easy. Just a suggestion and correction to what I said before.