PDA

View Full Version : Question about Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC Pump

dogin
09-15-2008, 04:08 AM
First time with this pump model from Petra's. Have it leak testing in 2nd loop and have noticed it does not come on at speed. It seems (sounds like) it winds up to speed. There is also about a second or two delay once power turned on before it appears to start. Is this normal operation?? Would like to know before I hook it up to the vid cards. It is in a loop box/case stand with a temporary water block hooked to to the loop for leak testing all the other components. There is a spare PS hooked to it that is used for this purpose and other testing (ie an OCZ 520watt ps).

ps it is turned all the way to 5 speed

Eddie3dfx
09-15-2008, 04:14 AM
Did you check the molex pins?
It should go on instantly, unless there is a bubble behind the pump, which would make a noise and take a second to push the bubble out, which may give you a second or two delay :rolleyes:

BlueAqua
09-15-2008, 04:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that's normal from your explanation. It's a centrifugal pump and has to has to spin up to speed. The water just sitting there is putting resistance on the impeller and it takes a few seconds to get the water moving. I know the DDC's have a slight start delay and I think the Laing D5's do too.

I think you're good to go.

Xilikon
09-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Yes, it's normal to start after 1-2 seconds and pick speed. My 3 DDC all does the same and it works fine.

dogin
09-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Knew I could count on this forum to give me the right info. Thanks!! I wrote on the Swiftech forums, but got no answers. This pump sure cleared out the air bubbles fast. It was like a very fast tight vortex of tiny bubbles through the block to the rad and then it was gone until I shook and tilted to get the rest out.:up:

Bojamijams
09-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Yes the windup/slow start is normal.