PDA

View Full Version : Wc'ing the S2E and 2 GPU's in a TJ-09

SimonD
09-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Guys (and girls),

I need some advice please, I have a Striker II Extreme with a QX9650 and dual BFG 9800GTX's sitting in my TJ-09 case, the cpu idles at 37-39c at defaults settings and tops 70 if I try and run OCCT.

I want to WC the rig but understand the limitations on the TJ-09 for WC'ing and I have considered getting a TJ-07 but want to see if I can get away with the TJ-09 for the time being.

I have looked at the following kit but need to know if I am missing anything, should swap out for anything else etc.

---------------------------------------
Polyurethane 10mm OD - 8mm ID Black Hose
External Diameter : 10mm
Internal Diameter : 8mm

x5

Noctua NF-S12-1200 120mm Case Fan
Air Flow : 47.67 CFM
Speed: 1200rpm
Noise: 17.0 dBA

x6 (for rad and to replace case fans)

Swiftech Apogee GTZ CPU Waterblock
CPU Compatibility : Intel 775 (AMD optional kit)

Selected options:
Fittings: 10/8mm Compression

x1

EK FC9800 GTX SLI Acetal
Compatibility : 9800 GTX Graphics Cards
Thread Size : G1/4"
SLI Compatible : Yes
Materials : Copper Base, Acetal Top

Fittings: 10/8mm Cmpression

x2

ThermoChill PA120.3 Triple Radiator

Selected options:
Fittings: Compression for 10/8mm Tubing

x1

Swiftech MCP655 Pump - Variable Speed Control
Voltage - 12V (Molex)
Power Input - 24W
Max. Delivery Rate - 1200L/h
Connections - Will Accept any 1/2" Tube Directly

x2

Feser One UV Black Coolant 1Lt

x2

XSPC 5.25" Drive Bay Reservoir - Black
5.25" Bay Reservoir
- G1/4" Thread
- High Quality Acrylic
- Brass screw threads
- Internal dividers to reduce bubbles and noise

x1

As you can see I am opting for compression fittings for the most part (I may have to look at the Fusion block on the S2E however I am waiting for the BP NB\SB block.

I am toying with the idea of cutting some more of the top off the case to fit the rad into it and I am considering adding a second loop in should I need to (I have been advised that with the PA120.3 I should get away with a single loop).

What are your thoughts, am I missing something blatent, could I get something better? Should I just go for the TJ-09 to save on any headaches?
Money isn't too much of an issue and it's probably not too much of a long term thing (Nehelim and X58 to come, chances are I will keep the 9800's for the moment tho).

Feedback greatly appreciated.

Polizei
09-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Different fans... those are awful. Case fans, they could be ok, but for a radiator, no.

SoulsCollective
09-12-2008, 08:47 AM
You don't want the S-model fans. They're great in open air, but suck against impedance (such as a heatsink or radiator). Replace them with some NF-P12s, they're specifically designed for these kinds of applications.

And I've done a full WC loop in my -09. You can easily fit a full-length rad up top of the case, if you extend the existing mesh to allow for the third fan.