PDA

View Full Version : Best tools to cut aluminum and acrylic

Eddie3dfx
09-11-2008, 05:39 AM
Looking over some of these worklogs gives me great ideas, but everytime I cut acrylic by scoring and snapping, it still doesn't look great.

I want to do a few projects. Make a radiator cover with aluminum or heat bent acrylic.

Dremel and Jig is out. Not enough control. What type of saw should I get, specific file, sandpaper, polish, etc.

A nibbler is probably the first tool I need.

RickCain
09-11-2008, 05:49 AM
You should see if you can find a local shop with a waterjet. That is what I used to cut out a HL2 logo in the side of a LL case using orange arcylic for the voids. Only cost me about 80.00 to have cut.

Eddie3dfx
09-11-2008, 05:57 AM
You should see if you can find a local shop with a waterjet. That is what I used to cut out a HL2 logo in the side of a LL case using orange arcylic for the voids. Only cost me about 80.00 to have cut.

Please post a pic. Sounds really nice. I would like to see how that turned out.

The projects I want to create are little brackets or adaptors or covers... Mostly for pure aesthetics.
If I ever want to cut the case or sides, I'll definitely go your route and do it with a waterjet/laser. :up:

When I was remodeling my parents kitchen, i kept seeing those nice stainless steel backsplashes in the magazines. Went to home depot, had them special order a really nice metal muted 3mm metal laminate. Drew out the design and a local company used a waterjet on it for $150 or so. came out really nice as all the power outlets were perfectly cut and metal was perfectly cut for the height and width. I used nail glue to glue it on the on the mdf.

As a straight interior designer, it came out fabulous :YIPPIE:

fatman
09-11-2008, 06:00 AM
scroll saw or band saw?

the scroll saw would be best cause of lower rpms mean less heat, so it wouldnt melt the acrylic

Eddie3dfx
09-11-2008, 06:02 AM
scroll saw or band saw?

the scroll saw would be best cause of lower rpms mean less heat, so it wouldnt melt the acrylic

I'm looking for more caveman like tools.

fornowagain
09-11-2008, 06:02 AM
To cut the basic sheet a table saw with a triple cut saw blade, lots of teeth 80 TCT. To finish edges square for bonding use a router or some people use scrapers to clean it up. If its a visible edge flame polishing or buffing.

billb
09-11-2008, 06:06 AM
I cut acrylic on a table saw with a thin curf, carbide, 60 tooth blade.
Circles with a hole cutter. See pic.
It needs some clean up with a fine file. Draw the file down the edge, don't file across.
Polish with a buffing wheel (1"x 10", 1750 rpm) with a compound made especially for plastic.

Thin aluminum can be cut with a tin snips. Circles with a hole cutter.

zuess
09-11-2008, 08:58 AM
I cut acrylic on a table saw with a thin curf, carbide, 60 tooth blade.
Circles with a hole cutter. See pic.
It needs some clean up with a fine file. Draw the file down the edge, don't file across.
Polish with a buffing wheel (1"x 10", 1750 rpm) with a compound made especially for plastic.

Thin aluminum can be cut with a tin snips. Circles with a hole cutter.

If you don't have a jigsaw just get a cheap one, and find some jigsaw blades that have the highest Teeth Per Inch or TPI.
A jigsaw with course and fine files is really all you need to cut aluminum.

I wouldn't use tin snips to cut aluminum, unless you have a quality pair
and really know how to use them.

I get by cutting circles in aluminum and acrylic with a simple template on
a cheap jigsaw.

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/9499/img434691345xt2.jpg

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9596/img424668038lm1.jpg

TedShred
09-11-2008, 09:15 AM
I had some pretty good luck using a scroll saw to cut some little acrylic trim pieces. I recall that I used a blade that had teeth 360 degrees, which made it really easy to turn corners.

shabranigdo
09-11-2008, 09:32 AM
I think the best thing for cutting sheets of plexi and aluminum would be a table saw for big cuts. That said I have used a portable circular saw with a plastic cutting blade for plexi and metal cutting or abrasive wheel for cutting aluminum. I have used some guide bars for the circular saw to get stright cuts, but if I had the purchases to do again I would have invested in a table saw. Smaller cuts I have used a jig saw and a few different rotary tools. And when all else fails a plain old hack saw comes in handy too. Don't discount a nice set of metal files, they are great for getting a clean edge and making up for less than accurate cuts. The jig saw does not seem to be as accurate, the blade flexes and thin material can cause the saw to buck. I think the best things to invest in if you plan on doing alot of plexi are a table saw, scroll saw and router. They are on my wish list. I have to say I am new to this and have been trying different tools to get the results I want, and accuracy seems to be my biggest issue.

kinghong1970
09-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Zuess, immediately after the first pic... i thought you had a hand stable enough to be a brain surgeon... damn nice cut...
then... damn nice idea on the setup for circular cut... but how do you align the pilot hole for the jigsaw? carefully drill at edge of the circle?

as for cutting plexi... high TPI, but what speed? i remember in the past, i've melted some plexi due to heat from the blade...

Eddie3dfx
09-11-2008, 10:03 AM
When I cut plexi with the dremel, it melts the edges.
With a hole saw, the holes came out quite nice on the thicker plexi 3/8. On the thinner plexi, it cracks.

Those holes you made are incredible

kinghong1970
09-11-2008, 10:06 AM
perhaps low speed in blade setting with high TPI blade and nice slow cuts?

i remember melting a lot of plexi on a circular saw...

Waterlogged
09-11-2008, 10:15 AM
:eek: Geez, I have a full fledged "machine shop" compared to some of you guys.:lol2:

I have a 10" table saw, 10" compound miter saw, scroll saw, 9" band saw, router, and a Smithy 1220XL 3-in-1 machine. When cutting acrylic or polycarb on the 10" saws, I use a thick 80 tooth blade, I have a thin 80 tooth blade as well but find it vibrates when cutting giving a slightly rougher cut.

Eddie3dfx
09-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Possible to bend acrylic with a simple butane torch?

Waterlogged
09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Possible to bend acrylic with a simple butane torch?

Possible...but tricky as hell to not bubble it. Mcmaster has a strip that heats up the acrylic for just that purpose somewhere on their site.

Eddie3dfx
09-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Possible...but tricky as hell to not bubble it. Mcmaster has a strip that heats up the acrylic for just that purpose somewhere on their site.

I was trying to polish the edges of my acrylic radiator grill and it bubbled and now looks like sh*t :down:

I need a propane torch.. used butane :(

ownage
09-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Some Plexi information (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcasejunkies.com%2Findex.p hp%3Fupn%3D010001%26hl_id%3D2889%26page%3D4141&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=nl&tl=en), translated from dutch to english.
"Abort" Is translated wrong, it should be "break off".
Also look at the other pages.

Waterlogged
09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I was trying to polish the edges of my acrylic radiator grill and it bubbled and now looks like sh*t :down:

I need a propane torch.. used butane :(

Propane isn't any easier. :(

kinghong1970
09-11-2008, 10:37 AM
www.tapplastics.com (http://www.tapplastics.com/)
they have some very nice info on working iwth Plexi as well as a nice supply of plastics.

as for bending... you need a heat strip which you can buy and make a kit (as seen on their instructional videos) that can bend plexi.

here's the link for instructional videos (http://www.tapplastics.com/info/video.php?)

kinda makes you wanna go out and get some plastics, no?

kiikkuja
09-11-2008, 10:43 AM
You could use jigsaw if you cool your blade with water. It isn't exactly safe to do so but the cut is nice. It is hard to do by yourself unless the piece of polycarbonate is secured nice and tight. Just hold a cup full of water under the plastic and the blade will suck the water and cool the cut. Cutting with very low rpm should work also.

Angle grinders are useless when it comes to plastic but can be used for cutting aluminum.

shabranigdo
09-11-2008, 10:49 AM
:eek: Geez, I have a full fledged "machine shop" compared to some of you guys.:lol2:

I have a 10" table saw, 10" compound miter saw, scroll saw, 9" band saw, router, and a Smithy 1220XL 3-in-1 machine. When cutting acrylic or polycarb on the 10" saws, I use a thick 80 tooth blade, I have a thin 80 tooth blade as well but find it vibrates when cutting giving a slightly rougher cut.

Can I come play with your toys? Table saw is really the top of my list atm then router, just not sure how much I want to spend. For flame polishing plexi I have read you should use a MAAP torch, propane is not hot enough fast enough. Picked one up but have not tried it yet. So far just done some cutting and drilling plexi. I also picked up some weld-on 3 to experiment with making more complex things out of plexi. I'm using 1/4" plexi, so far with a hole saw only made small holes 1", I need to make 2 fan holes in my side panels and am hoping I can make them close enough to the edge to use my drill press. If not will have to rig something up so the 4 1/2" saw does not move around. I used slow rpms based on the hole saw reccomendations. Going slow and having things well braced and lubricated (spray silicone) makes the drilling/ hole cutting easier.

Eddie3dfx
09-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I think I'll get something like this.

It's called a Figuurzaag

http://www.casejunkies.com/images/artikel_upload/picture_6924.jpg

http://www.casejunkies.com/images/artikel_upload/picture_6925.jpg

dopestuff
09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
lol eddie are you from holland?? :P
and yeah that seems a pretty good idea to use (haven't seen one of those in a while... )
howevver like whit every cutting tool you do need to sand/file afterwards to get a nice finish ;)

Eddie3dfx
09-11-2008, 11:51 AM
lol eddie are you from holland?? :P
and yeah that seems a pretty good idea to use (haven't seen one of those in a while... )
howevver like whit every cutting tool you do need to sand/file afterwards to get a nice finish ;)

Chicago. I was wondering what the translation for that was, so I can pick this up at a hardware store :D

crazy1323
09-11-2008, 11:56 AM

This is where being a mechanical engineering student comes into play. I have access to a lot of labs with some great equipment (precision 3D printers and HAAS 5 Axis CNC machines. As well as plotters which are great for making templates in AutoCAD. Obviously other than these high tech toys there is also a standard machine shop.

The coolest project I ever made (behind computer parts of course) was a concrete canoe. If you want to really think, have a professor give you bags of cement and say build a canoe that you can float in and by the way, everything you use must have a density higher than water (i.e. you cannot have a wooden frame)

Bobly
09-11-2008, 12:05 PM
The coolest project I ever made (behind computer parts of course) was a concrete canoe. If you want to really think, have a professor give you bags of cement and say build a canoe that you can float in and by the way, everything you use must have a density higher than water (i.e. you cannot have a wooden frame)

Make a big wide "tank" which will contain only air, however bigger than the canoe than it has to be to keep it up, and attach the canoe to it ^^
http://i35.tinypic.com/2zno67q.png

dopestuff
Chicago. I was wondering what the translation for that was, so I can pick this up at a hardware store :D

hehe well the translation for it is a jigsaw ;) i would practice some scrap material first just to get a bit of feeling for it...

and crazy sounds like a funn project just build a frame out of iron or form it round sheets of steel to let it dry ;)

shabranigdo

It looks like a coping saw, though deeper throat than I have seen.

crazy1323
09-11-2008, 12:12 PM
I have actually already completed the project. It is assigned to junior engineering students every year. Here is how it is done. I will try to upload the CAD drawings and pictures of it floating later.

They HUGE key is in mixing the concrete. You use polystyrene (Styrofoam) instead of gravel when mixing the cement, sand and water. This makes the total mixture have a desity slightly higher than water. You then build a fram out of aluminum and connect the fram with recessed aluminum panels. You then fill these panels one at a times and allow the mixture to dry. You know have a "concrete canoe"

Eddie3dfx
09-11-2008, 12:17 PM
It looks like a coping saw, though deeper throat than I have seen.

Yeah, very fine saw blade as well.

This looks like it could only go through about 7 inches.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31WTEYT0EBL.jpg

orclev
09-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I've had resonable luck cutting both aluminum and plexi with my dremel. For the plexi I use a carbide cutter along with a routing attachment and just set it at the lowest possible speed. I also dip the bit in lubricant (they sell some specifically for that purpose on various sites). For the plexi the lubricant isn't strictly necessary, but it does help cut down on the heat a bit, and also prevents any of the cut plexi from sticking to the bit. For the aluminum pretty much the same, but with high speed. Also take a break periodically to let the bit cool down, and do shallow cuts a little bit at a time.

dopestuff
09-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah, very fine saw blade as well.

This looks like it could only go through about 7 inches.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31WTEYT0EBL.jpg

yeah they don't make the metal brace that large cause otherwise you would smack everyone whit it in their face :D

Eddie3dfx
09-11-2008, 12:34 PM
I found it!

http://www.amazon.com/DEEP-CUTTING-DELICATE-COPING-SAW/dp/B0017QH4EQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1221165412&sr=1-11

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Q9ewWej6L._SS500_.jpg

ownage
09-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Figuurzaag pwnz :D
I used it a few times on wood and once for acrylic. Works great.

zuess
09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Zuess, immediately after the first pic... i thought you had a hand stable enough to be a brain surgeon... damn nice cut...
then... damn nice idea on the setup for circular cut... but how do you align the pilot hole for the jigsaw? carefully drill at edge of the circle?

as for cutting plexi... high TPI, but what speed? i remember in the past, i've melted some plexi due to heat from the blade...

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6471/img379981627rb3.jpg

First thanks for the praise,
what you do first is cut a piece of scrap aluminum 6"x6", then you need double
sided mounting tape, i use 3M Clear Mounting tape #4010C.

After it's mounted you measure from the outside of the jigsaw blade, for a 120mm hole use a square and mark a line that is perpendicular to the jigsaw base plate then you put a mark at 60mm and pre-drill with the smallest drill bit.
It's easier to be more accurate when you line up the center of the bit with your mark.

I use the jigsaw with a 31 tpi blade to cut acrylic on high speed and don't seem to have
any melting, guess i'm just lucky.

zuess
09-11-2008, 02:52 PM
for metal i use knock-outs rented from local tool rental

for plexi i use hack- blade and belt sander to smooth ends and polish with wet sand paper

What is that, looks like a Saw Gun,LOL

Herc130
09-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Need to do some flush trimming and maybe even put a bevel or rounded edge while I am trimming, if .063" is thick enough to take a bevel from a router bit. Anyone know if a wood router bit (two flutes, don't see anything with more) will shave/cut 6061 T6 .063" near smooth or will it chatter way too much and cause damage? I'd guess go at low rpm and spray some cutting oils on it to help. Anyone ever use a router on metal?

bigslappy
09-24-2008, 08:46 AM
You guys need to go here http://www.tapplastics.com/ & watch the videos they have on all of the things discussed in above ^^^^^^^^ Posts

there is even one Video on how to make an inexpensive acrylic bender