PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove VGA Ram Heatsinks?

Mick64
09-10-2008, 07:25 AM
I have a BFG 8800GT that I fitted a Thermaltake DuOrb cooler. This was supplied with ram heatsinks that were stuck on with some kind of thermal tape. I now want to fit a full cover waterblock. So, whats the best way to remove these heatsinks without damaging anything? Thanks...

IanY
09-10-2008, 09:16 AM
***Completely at your own risk***

The advice contained herein is a mere suggestion. You should consult your lawyer, accountant and/or financial advisor before undertaking anything this risky lol :)

Use a hairdryer or heatgun. Gently heat up the ramsinks. Heat will make the thermal tape more pliable. Use a razor blade or a box cutter knife. Gently insert blade between ram chip and heat sink. Do not attempt to remove heatsink yet, just pry it a little all around the edges to crate some air gaps.

Now video card and put it inside a zip lock freezer bag. Put said video card in the freezer for one hour. The cold will make the thermal tape more brittle. Now, remove video card and gently insert razor blade again between ram sink and memory chip. Use a twisting prying motion. It should pop off quite easily.

Do not force. If it doesn't work, repeat the cycle.

Done this before with stuff as strong as Arctic Ceramic Adhesive and/or AS5 and super glue. Did that all the way back to my 3Dfx Voodoo One card... had a Pentium Pro heatsink on that lol

skinnee
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Apply heat with a hair dryer. Be very careful if using a heat gun, a heat gun kicks out a lot more heat than a hair dryer.
Slightly twist or wiggle the ramsinks while applying heat, the sinks will twist/wiggle more and more as the thermal tape bond begins to loosen. DO NOT PULL THE RAMSINKS
Keep using the heat and twist/wiggle method until the ramsink just comes off with the twist/wiggle.

If the thermal tape remains on the chip apply some heat again and use a pin to remove it from the chip.
Use your regular TIM remover and surface prep after removing the ramsink and remaining thermal tape.

edit: IanY beat me to the punch...I do like the freezer method, i'll have to try that.

cadaveca
09-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Depending on the tape, cold may be more effective than heat...as they need to stick to hot components, I'd be tossing the card in the freezer first, myself.

ownage
09-10-2008, 09:31 AM
edit: IanY beat me to the punch...I do like the freezer method, i'll have to try that.

Freezer works better then using a hair dryer. :up:

Sparky
09-10-2008, 09:41 AM
I just gave mine a careful twist back and forth until they loosened up and came off. Tape doesn't hold up to twisting well so it lets go easily that way.

iowamoe300
09-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I just gave mine a careful twist back and forth until they loosened up and came off. Tape doesn't hold up to twisting well so it lets go easily that way.

That is the exactly the way I have done it in the past. I also ran the card under full load to heat it up, then immediately twisted the heatsinks till they came off. Just don't lift up or it will separate, and plissken your ram.

09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
In the past I've used an upside down can of compressed air as a freeze spray right on the sink. Cools it locally and very rapidly, they came right off.