PDA

View Full Version : Corsair HX520W temp problems! (70°C)

WhiteFireDragon
09-09-2008, 04:31 PM
my temps on this PSU is at 70°C, which is extremely high for a PSU. i thought it was just bad sensors but i felt the exhaust air with my hands and it was very warm, about the same or warmer than a generic cheapo PSU under load. i even touched the metal casing of the PSU and it was as warm as the heatsinks on my memory! it was as if the body was the actual heatsink for the whole PSU. i don't think it's just the sensors. the PSU was powering the following hardware while running prime95:

- q6600 @ 3.2ghz 1.40vcore
- p45 maximus II formula
- ATI X1650 pro
- 74gb raptor
- crucial 2x1gb ddr2 @ 712mhz 2.2v
- 2 dvd optical drives
- fan controller with 5 fans

these hardware aren't even power hungry at all. the video card doesn't even have a 6pin external power connector. this system should use only about 250watts max under load and according to silentpcreview (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article692-page4.html), temps should be lower than 40°C. for mine, it's just ridiculous how the PSU temps are only a few degrees away from the CPU's temps with a stock cooler. does anyone else have this problem with their HX series or is it just mine? the fan should be thermally controlled by mine just seems to be spinning at the same RPM no matter what load

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/WhiteFireDragon/PSUtemp.jpg

Yellowbeard
09-10-2008, 06:47 AM
That sensor reading you are indicating is not for the PSU. It appears to be for the CPU Vregs.

WhiteFireDragon
09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
then isn't the fan suppose to increase rpms to cool it? the exhaust air and the metal casing seems to be very warm. i thought it was 80plus certified so does not generate a lot of heat?

Yellowbeard
09-10-2008, 10:58 AM
80+ has nothing to do with heat. And, yes, the fan is internally controlled by a circuit that monitors the heat inside the PSU.

If you think the PSU is defective we'll replace it.

Xcel
09-10-2008, 11:02 AM
then isn't the fan suppose to increase rpms to cool it? the exhaust air and the metal casing seems to be very warm. i thought it was 80plus certified so does not generate a lot of heat?

70c is from the vregs on your mobo, the PSU fan has nothing to do with the vregs on your mobo.

CryptiK
11-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Yes, the POWER sensor on the M2F is the temp of the mosfets and power circuitry. Hows your case airflow? Thats pretty warm, I wouldn't have thought a Q6600 at only 3.2GHz/1.4v would work it that hard. Theres guys running 9550/9650/9770 quads at 4GHz+ with watercooling with lower temps than that. Perhaps your mosfet heatsinks are not seating correctly. Makes sure the screws that hold them on are tight (you'll have to remove the board from the case to do it the screws are on the back).