PDA

View Full Version : how much PT Nuke to add?

darkflames
09-09-2008, 02:58 AM
Im going to be using 100 percent distilled water and some pt nuke. If i fill my whole system and the loops are filled with water and my resivour is completely filled how many drops should i put it?

Lloyd
09-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Depending on ur res, you've probably used about 1/2 a litre of distilled, i used 3/4 lt in Rig 2 so just used a drop of PTNuke

Ashraf
09-09-2008, 03:10 AM
One drop per liter.

p2501
09-09-2008, 03:19 AM
I don't think you can overdose the loop on this, can you? It's just that if you put more than one drop in it's a waste?!

Naja002
09-09-2008, 03:39 AM
Use: Add either 1 drop per liter of coolant (~0.57ppm Copper) or 2 drops per liter of coolant (~1.14ppm Copper)

Petra'sTech "PT_Nuke" Concentrated Biocide (http://petrastechshop.com/pepcobi1.html)

Lloyd
09-09-2008, 03:41 AM
I don't think you can overdose the loop on this, can you? It's just that if you put more than one drop in it's a waste?!

I believe u can overdose - it's acidic IIRC

IanY
09-09-2008, 03:48 AM
Less is more. One drop means one tiny drop. Its acidic.

iandh
09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Not to mention which you can bring your coolant from mildly toxic to moderately toxic.

Jimmer411
09-09-2008, 12:37 PM
none IMO.

Petra
09-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Not to mention which you can bring your coolant from mildly toxic to moderately toxic.

Keep in mind that multiple gram quantities of pure Copper sulfate are required to attain a lethal dose (depending on body mass, of course... the acute oral LD50 (lethal dose in 50% of animals tested) for male rats is between 300mg and 472mg per kg body mass). With each 10ml bottle containing about 4.4% CuSO4 (~440mg), the average person would likely have to ingest quite a few bottles before kicking the bucket. Considering that Copper sulfate is a gastrointestinal irritant, it would probably be a challenge to even keep one bottle down. At a concentration of 0.5-1ppm in water, the sheer volume of water you'd need to consume would kill you before the Copper sulfate would.

Random side note (that some of you may already know): I've been experimenting with another chemical (Benzalkonium chloride) to be sold as a separate biocide product intended for use in systems that are running pure distilled and maybe some dye... this one doesn't alter coolant pH (then again, I have yet to see any serious issues arise from the use of Copper sulfate in appropriate concentration).

brinox
09-09-2008, 12:48 PM
none IMO.

lol if his tubing is clear and the computer isnt sealed off from light then some sort of biocide is needed for extended periods of time.

kinghong1970
09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Keep in mind that multiple gram quantities of pure Copper sulfate are required to attain a lethal dose (depending on body mass, of course... the acute oral LD50 (lethal dose in 50% of animals tested) for male rats is between 300mg and 472mg per kg body mass). With each 10ml bottle containing about 4.4% CuSO4 (~440mg), the average person would likely have to ingest quite a few bottles before kicking the bucket. Considering that Copper sulfate is a gastrointestinal irritant, it would probably be a challenge to even keep one bottle down. At a concentration of 0.5-1ppm in water, the sheer volume of water you'd need to consume would kill you before the Copper sulfate would.

Random side note (that some of you may already know): I've been experimenting with another chemical (Benzalkonium chloride) to be sold as a separate biocide product intended for use in systems that are running pure distilled and maybe some dye... this one doesn't alter coolant pH (then again, I have yet to see any serious issues arise from the use of Copper sulfate in appropriate concentration).

tyvm for the info Petra, so i guess if i were to quickly "take care" of someone... i wont be reaching for a bottle of pt nuke then...

hmm...

Clockwork_Apple
09-09-2008, 12:58 PM
none IMO.
Care to elaborate?

Was just about to purchase some PT Nuke.

orclev
09-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Care to elaborate?

Which fluid/additives to use is one of those hot button topics. Lots of opinion, some research, very few conclusions (like most things). I wouldn't let that comment stop you (it's not like it costs a fortune or anything), and if you're running a "normal" loop you're going to need a biocide of some kind. There are various people on this forum that subscribe to the function over form philosophy and therefore say you should use nothing but distilled water and just have a closed light proof loop (black tubes, no acrylic anywhere, no case window, and either no, or a opaque reservoir) to prevent biologic growth. Some people prefer to have a little bit of bling in their case and think that using a biocide is worth the extra hassle of cleaning a little more often, and potentially worse temperatures (talking really really small changes, if any, like well within the margin of error of pretty much every probe and less than fluctuation due to ambient) are worth it.

Lloyd
09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Care to elaborate?

Distilled & PT Nuke FTW

T_Flight
09-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I've already seen the biological lifeforms that can grow in these systems in pictures right here on this forum. No way am I gonna risk having ick like that growing in my loop. My lord man, we are basically setting up a growing chamber for stuff like that. Who knows what could start growing in there. There is heat, light, and water. Let one human crossing bacteria in there and you might just grow a new disease in there! :shocked: hahaha

Seriously though, I don't want algae or any of that other stuff growing in my expensive parts.

iandh
09-09-2008, 09:14 PM

I meant mildly toxic as in upset stomach and moderately toxic as in you may barf. I think my comment was meant to be serious, sarcastic and maybe slightly funny. I don't know exactly. :confused:

From what I've read toxic reaction can first be noticed at around 10mg/kg in humans so a single bottle of Nuke might be enough to make a lightweight person wish they didn't drink it, although in mixed form you would have to pretty much be trying to get yourself sick.

Either way I'm sure we are in more danger from driving down to 7-11 or possibly breathing the air pollution in Los Angeles. :)

Martinm210
09-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Good info, I'm always worried about my 2 yr old daughter running around. In between draining loops for block, I'm always quick to dump the water. I've always gone with the 1 drop per liter and all has been well..