PDA

View Full Version : Destroyer problems (NOT solved, sadly :( )

hrahn
09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Edit the 3rd:
The X-Fi will NOT work crackle-free with the Destroyer. With no sound driver I tried, and no graphics card combo I could think of. So the problem stands:

X-Fi + Destroyer + XP64 = Crackles, hisses, broken audio when using hardware acceleration.
The problem gets worse the more data is being transferred over the SATA ports, are there some IRQ sharing issues between the controller and the single PCI port?
I didnīt find a place in the bios to manually set IRQ resources, have I overlooked something?

Edit the 2nd: The X-Fi crackling is back, and it is worse the bigger the audio files are that are being played. It seems that it has something to do with bus saturation, when a lot of file transfers are going on, the audio crackles, hisses and pops much more than when Iīm just playing a single MP3 with nothing else going on.
Any idea how to remedy this? And donīt say "put the card in another slot"... ever looked at the Destro? Kinda hard to do...

Apart from that - will the Aegis Panel eventually include options for changing the multi of Black Edition Phenoms? Could really come in handy.

Edit: all of the problems solved by switching from the 3870X2 to an old G80 8800GTS. Except for the high pitched whine, itīs driving me nuts.
The X2 runs fine on another board I got here, also with an X-Fi to accompany it (X-Fi extreme gamer though). Wonder if the situation will improve with newer bios versions.

Hey there,
"jumped ship" from a 680i sli to the Destroyer, still running XP64 here because of stability (never ever seen a bluescreen since I started using it).
Now the rest of my hardware is giving me problems, I always have crackling and popping issues with the sound of my X-Fi extreme music , no matter what driver I use (official, youp-pax (all versions) ).
Any idea how I could remedy that? I donīt want to use the onboard sound for obvious (EAX-related) reasons.

Rest of hardware: 9850BE, Antec 1000 TPQ, Sapphire 3870X2 (which also only produces a garbled screen whenever the board blanks it for power saving reasons, but Iīm working on that problem, didnīt occur on the 680i too).

Overall until now I think it is a fine board, but there still are a lot of bugs to be worked out.
Also, the digital power converters emit a very high pitched whine. Last time I heard something like that it was on an Abit BEAST, where the whole series of motherboards was plagued with this problem.

Aura89
09-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Edit the 3rd:
The X-Fi will NOT work crackle-free with the Destroyer. With no sound driver I tried, and no graphics card combo I could think of. So the problem stands:

X-Fi + Destroyer + XP64 = Crackles, hisses, broken audio when using hardware acceleration.
The problem gets worse the more data is being transferred over the SATA ports, are there some IRQ sharing issues between the controller and the single PCI port?
I didnīt find a place in the bios to manually set IRQ resources, have I overlooked something?

Edit the 2nd: The X-Fi crackling is back, and it is worse the bigger the audio files are that are being played. It seems that it has something to do with bus saturation, when a lot of file transfers are going on, the audio crackles, hisses and pops much more than when Iīm just playing a single MP3 with nothing else going on.
Any idea how to remedy this? And donīt say "put the card in another slot"... ever looked at the Destro? Kinda hard to do...

Apart from that - will the Aegis Panel eventually include options for changing the multi of Black Edition Phenoms? Could really come in handy.

Edit: all of the problems solved by switching from the 3870X2 to an old G80 8800GTS. Except for the high pitched whine, itīs driving me nuts.
The X2 runs fine on another board I got here, also with an X-Fi to accompany it (X-Fi extreme gamer though). Wonder if the situation will improve with newer bios versions.

Hey there,
"jumped ship" from a 680i sli to the Destroyer, still running XP64 here because of stability (never ever seen a bluescreen since I started using it).
Now the rest of my hardware is giving me problems, I always have crackling and popping issues with the sound of my X-Fi extreme music , no matter what driver I use (official, youp-pax (all versions) ).
Any idea how I could remedy that? I donīt want to use the onboard sound for obvious (EAX-related) reasons.

Rest of hardware: 9850BE, Antec 1000 TPQ, Sapphire 3870X2 (which also only produces a garbled screen whenever the board blanks it for power saving reasons, but Iīm working on that problem, didnīt occur on the 680i too).

Overall until now I think it is a fine board, but there still are a lot of bugs to be worked out.
Also, the digital power converters emit a very high pitched whine. Last time I heard something like that it was on an Abit BEAST, where the whole series of motherboards was plagued with this problem.

Odd, i have a destroyer and an X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fidelity Edition, and i have no crackling or...anything for that matter, works flawlessly

negev
09-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Turn the volume down in Windows, this is usually what causes this problem...

could also try turning off "spread spectrum" in bios.

hrahn
09-22-2008, 02:50 AM
It does not have anything to do with the volume, neither with any of the connected speakers (as other cards work without any issues at all).
@Negev: it has always been off :D

As I wrote in my last update, the problem got worse under heavy file access, so i disabled the IDE and additional SATA controller in the Bios. After that, the problems are mostly gone, though so are my CD drives.

The problem only arises under a 64bit XP (canīt speak for 64bit Vista), and only with the X-Fi - there are no sound issues with my old Audigy1. To make it clear again, this only concerns hardware accelerated sound, if you switch off hardware acceleration altogether in windows everything is fine (but then Iīd need no steeenkeeeng Eggs-Phi)

I can rule out the following:
- speakers - work without any problem on any other audio source
- graphics card - changed the 3870x2 with a 8800GTX and 8800GT - same problems
- SATA ports - switched the ports I connect my HDs too - same problems

It really sounds like broken audio (you know, clicks and crackles like when you have a distorted recording) and it gets worse the bigger the file is. I.e. a 128kbit MP3 will play almost crackle-free most times, an .ape-File of the same song will sound like itīs being shredded in the Distort-O-Rizer of hell.

So I humbly ask if we may get a bios where we can assign the hardware ressources to the onboard components ourselves.

Apart from that, the only option Iīd really like in a new bios would be to be able to keep ALL power-saving features active when overclocking, since enabling the overclocking menu is actually the only way to undervolt the CPU.
That - and a feature to choose the multi for black edition CPUs from windows (Aegis Panel p.ex.) and not only the FSB.