PDA

View Full Version : Question on EK Supreme block tension

bikecop
09-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Howdy guys...how far should the springs be compressed on an EK Supreme block? I basically just cranked it down until there was significant resistance on the nuts...it seems like getting the springs fully compressed would put some serious strain on the motherboard/processor....anyone have a reasonable guide to this?

thanks

evil-98
09-08-2008, 11:30 AM
ill take it that you dont have a back plate for the block?

i wouldnt tighten it too much, i have a modified thermal right back plate on mine and my bolts are about .125" pass the ends of the bolts

which isnt very tight but ive seen no improvement from going any tighter, just damage to the blocks base

edit:

heres a pic if it helps http://evil98.insanity-asylum.com/computers/homewrecker/126.jpg

zlojack
09-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Will the Fuzion backplate work with this block?

That might be a solution worth investigating.

NaeKuh
09-08-2008, 12:08 PM
thermalright backplate.

D-tek Mounting springs.

Both can be bought at shoppts.

Toss the stock mounting kit that came with the fusion. The d-tek set should fit in the threads on the thermalright backplate.

I prefer the thermalright backplate more then all the other backplate.

zlojack
09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I use the Fuzion Pro-Mount and it works well. I've used the Thermalright backplate with it as well as the one that comes with it. Not really much difference.

bikecop
09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
ill take it that you dont have a back plate for the block?

i wouldnt tighten it too much, i have a modified thermal right back plate on mine and my bolts are about .125" pass the ends of the bolts

which isnt very tight but ive seen no improvement from going any tighter, just damage to the blocks base

edit:

heres a pic if it helps http://evil98.insanity-asylum.com/computers/homewrecker/126.jpg

I do have a backplate on this was just curious as to how it's 'supposed' to be. I'm only getting about 4LP/M though this block to the 480GTX - which I feel is sufficient. The only unusual thing is that I'm only seeing about a 8C difference be idle and fully loaded (Prime 95) on the QX9650 - my temps at idle hang out around 37C and go up to ~44C at load. The load temps look ok, but was really suspecting lower idles.

thanks for the suggestions.

SoulsCollective
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
I do have a backplate on this was just curious as to how it's 'supposed' to be. I'm only getting about 4LP/M though this block to the 480GTX - which I feel is sufficient. The only unusual thing is that I'm only seeing about a 8C difference be idle and fully loaded (Prime 95) on the QX9650 - my temps at idle hang out around 37C and go up to ~44C at load. The load temps look ok, but was really suspecting lower idles.

thanks for the suggestions.
Normal for a 45nm chip. Smaller surface area means higher idle temps, it's load you have to worry about.

gxavier
09-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Speaking of backplates, does anyone have any issues with getting the nuts on when using a thick backplate for the 775 sockets? Its as if the screws aren't long enough... putting the block and then the springs on, and the springs stick out further than the screws. It makes getting the nuts started on the threads rediculously painful.

Without the backplate, theres plenty of room, and the nuts screw right on... but adding that extra 2 or 3mm from the backplate...especially if you use a rubber spacer (another 2mm) to eliminate any potential shorts... just totally makes the installation miserable.

Longer screws FTW!

Martinm210
09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Yeah, don't tighten all the way, the springs are good for about 25lbs each fully compressed, 100lbs of force would probably break something.

I found that the screws are not necessarily perfectly equal in length and instead measure the compression of the springs using calipers about 1" from top of nut to the hold down plate is probably around 50lbs of force. You could do the same think by cutting out a 1" notch in a piece of cardbord or plastic and use it as a depth guage. I ran two blocks with the same mounting pressure with and without a backplate and got the same results, but I would still recommend a backplate just to protect your motherboard.